Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the MEC Expand to 16 Teams?

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
    Just to rehash a rumor from a few years ago, I know it's a slim chance. Pikeville?
    They would be a good fit and I'd love to see them join. Good basketball program in the NAIA...Would be great to see how that would transition to DII.

Haven't heard any rumors on them for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      They would be a good fit and I'd love to see them join. Good basketball program in the NAIA...Would be great to see how that would transition to DII.

Haven't heard any rumors on them for a couple of years.
      They were on NAIA probation. I don't recall the details but I believe it was for two years ending in summer 2017. A former football coach is still on individual probation.

Comment

You guys don't seem too excited to go.
        They don't seem too excited to have you.

However, you both probably know it's the right long-term move.

I've often thought that AB only comes into play if Shepherd leaves and their is a second void to fill. However, if Sheperd's main issue with the MEC is geography, adding Frostburg AND AB benefits them.
        Last edited by BlueBlood; 05-20-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

If it happens, It really leaves D&E on a distant, lonely island. They become the TNU of WV. I hope there is a workable long term solution for them. Much respect for both AB and D&E.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
            You guys don't seem too excited to go.
            They don't seem too excited to have you.

However, you both probably know it's the right long-term move.

I've often thought that AB only comes into play if Shepherd leaves and their is a second void to fill. However, if Sheperd's main issue with the MEC is geography, adding Frostburg AND AB benefits them.
            They scorched quite a bit of earth and threw quite a bit of shade on a number of programs during the demise of the WVIAC. The WVIAC had a number of internal problems that could have ultimately proved it's demise, but assuming it did not ultimately implode, imagine what the WV/OH/PA DII landscape would be? NDC and Urbana would be in the GMAC and that probably would have effected how aggressively they recruited GLIAC programs...Seton Hill and Jamestown stay in the WVIAC and perhaps with the reduction of driving, Wise stays also and perhaps the WVIAC makes a play for Frostburg as a football playing "substitute" for WJ (which is now not pressured to start football)...Post stays in the PSAC and perhaps becomes a full member. Yep, that one 11'th hour change in vote by AB set in motion a LOT of changes!!! I'd still like to know what their reasoning was for changing their vote on Wise but it's pretty clear the time/space continuum was drastically altered by it!

Comment

If it happens, It really leaves D&E on a distant, lonely island. They become the TNU of WV. I hope there is a workable long term solution for them. Much respect for both AB and D&E.
              I don't think D&E (or Ohio Valley for that matter) really cares which conference they are in or even IF they are a full member of any conference. I could see them being an associate member of the MEC for a couple of sports and an associate member of the GMAC for others...or if that doesn't work, dropping NCAA athletics all together.

Comment

imagine what the WV/OH/PA DII landscape would be? NDC and Urbana would be in the GMAC and that probably would have effected how aggressively they recruited GLIAC programs...
                Pretty sure the GLIAC schools still would have come to the G-MAC anyway. It was less recruitment of them than it was getting the band back together (these schools were in the same NAIA conference and there was a long-standing plan to regroup as a D2 conference). Hillsdale was the only school that was a surprise (they were not a member of the prior NAIA conference).

If anything, the creation of the MEC (including G-MAC loss of Urbana/NDC and addition of WV schools) was a curveball that likely slowed the process.

The common history is why I think there is a good chance that NDC and Urbana someday, eventually find their way to the G-MAC - same goes for AB finding its way to the MEC.
                Last edited by BlueBlood; 05-20-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure the GLIAC schools still would have come to the G-MAC anyway. It was less recruitment of them than it was getting the band back together (these schools were in the same NAIA conference and there was a long-standing plan to regroup as a D2 conference). Hillsdale was the only school that was a surprise (they were not a member of the prior NAIA conference).

If anything, the creation of the MEC (including G-MAC loss of Urbana/NDC and addition of WV schools) was a curveball that likely slowed the process.

The common history is why I think there is a good chance that NDC and Urbana someday, eventually find their way to the G-MAC - same goes for AB finding its way to the MEC.
                  And to my point...What was the critical action that led the MEC to come into existence??

So if "common history" is soooo very very strong, why is Shepherd contemplating leaving the MEC and the schools it has a 90+ year common history with across the NAIA and DII and across two conferences??

Comment

And to my point...What was the critical action that led the MEC to come into existence??

So if "common history" is soooo very very strong, why is Shepherd contemplating leaving the MEC and the schools it has a 90+ year common history with across the NAIA and DII and across two conferences??
                    I have no idea how you think my comments support your point. I only gave a little OH NAIA/D2 background and stated that I think the OH schools would have still gotten back together regardless of whether the WVIAC broke up or not. As to what led to the WVIAC breakup / MEC existence - I'll let you guys debate that. I have no knowledge of it.

As to Shepherd - I think there is belief/argument that they may geographically align better with the PSAC East. This makes their situation different than Urbana/NDC with the G-MAC and AB with the MEC. In the later examples, geography is aligned with common history.
                    Last edited by BlueBlood; 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I have no idea how you think my comments support your point. I only gave a little OH NAIA/D2 background and stated that I think the OH schools would have still gotten back together regardless of whether the WVIAC broke up or not. As to what led to the WVIAC breakup / MEC existence - I'll let you guys debate that. I have no knowledge of it.

As to Shepherd - I think there is belief/argument that they may geographically align better with the PSAC East. This makes their situation different than Urbana/NDC with the G-MAC and AB with the MEC. In the later examples, geography is aligned with common history. As I stated earlier, discussions with AB might not just be an "in case Shepherd leaves" discussion. Adding AB (in addition to Frostburg) would geographically benefit Shepherd. If adding AB helps keep Shepherd, I'm sure it will make the AB pill easier to swallow.
                      Had AB not voted against conference expansion (Wise), the WVIAC would not have imploded so the MEC would not have formed...Therefore the MEC would not have picked up NDC or Urbana; AB, Ohio Valley, D&E and Salem would not have gone to the GMAC and Seton Hill and Johnstown would not have gone to the PSAC. NDC and Urbana would have stayed/gone to the GMAC, the "WV Four" would have stayed with the WVIAC and quite probably, Post would have stayed in the PSAC.

Now the WVIAC did have internal problems that went beyond just the AB/Wise vote so perhaps it would have ultimately all fell apart anyway. But the AB vote was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and caused the football playing schools to collectively throw their hands up and say, we quit. Another point to ponder about this, had it not been for the single focusing event of the AB vote, it is very possible that the football playing schools would have departed individually...PROBABLY mostly to the GMAC but some to the SAC, PSAC and CIAA.

Comment

I was editing my earlier post when you were replying, so I'll change it back to the original (that you replied to) and just add this as a separate comment.

My early assumption was that MEC discussions with AB were likely an "in case Shepherd leaves" situation (with the MEC needing to replace 2 schools instead of 1). However, adding AB (in addition to Frostburg) would geographically benefit Shepherd. Frostburg and AB would become the 2 schools closest to Shepherd. So, I'm starting to wonder if AB isn't a back up plan, but instead might be an MEC attempt to counter the PSAC geography argument. If adding AB helps keep Shepherd, I bet it will make the AB pill easier to swallow (for those still struggling with the idea).

Comment

Had AB not voted against conference expansion (Wise), the WVIAC would not have imploded so the MEC would not have formed...Therefore the MEC would not have picked up NDC or Urbana; AB, Ohio Valley, D&E and Salem would not have gone to the GMAC and Seton Hill and Johnstown would not have gone to the PSAC. NDC and Urbana would have stayed/gone to the GMAC, the "WV Four" would have stayed with the WVIAC and quite probably, Post would have stayed in the PSAC.

Now the WVIAC did have internal problems that went beyond just the AB/Wise vote so perhaps it would have ultimately all fell apart anyway. But the AB vote was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and caused the football playing schools to collectively throw their hands up and say, we quit. Another point to ponder about this, had it not been for the single focusing event of the AB vote, it is very possible that the football playing schools would have departed individually...PROBABLY mostly to the GMAC but some to the SAC, PSAC and CIAA.
                          But hasn't AB been kinda proved correct in that Wise bolted at the first chance they got?

Comment

Not that the 'what if' debate isn't entertaining for this time of year but when is the actual Shepherd decision due?

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                              Just to rehash a rumor from a few years ago, I know it's a slim chance. Pikeville?
                              Pikeville's very close to UVA-Wise, so I doubt it.

Comment

I was editing my earlier post when you were replying, so I'll change it back to the original (that you replied to) and just add this as a separate comment.

My early assumption was that MEC discussions with AB were likely an "in case Shepherd leaves" situation (with the MEC needing to replace 2 schools instead of 1). However, adding AB (in addition to Frostburg) would geographically benefit Shepherd. Frostburg and AB would become the 2 schools closest to Shepherd. So, I'm starting to wonder if AB isn't a back up plan, but instead might be an MEC attempt to counter the PSAC geography argument. If adding AB helps keep Shepherd, I bet it will make the AB pill easier to swallow (for those still struggling with the idea).
                                I don't think AB brings any thing to the table in helping the MEC keep Shepherd. The schools have little in common.....other than a few Olympic sports. The schools are 3 hours and 30 minutes a part. Gauging that with the distance to PSAC East schools and a lot of the West schools, I just don't think it helps any at all. Most of the PSAC East trips for Shepherd are much shorter than a trip to ABU. Shepherd has always been a georgraphic outlier rather it be the MEC or WVIAC. Adding Shenandoah to the MEC would be a much better asset in trying to keep Shepherd. However, I just don't think the MEC has a snowball's chance of getting Shenandoah to leave their current setup to go D2 and travel throughout WV.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X