• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Lincoln was not a good choice.
    But definitely more CHEYNEY LEVEL opposition !!!

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
    That was true until they secured the coup getting those GLIAC schools to come over. Now, I think the GMAC is a solid conference and no longer hanging by a thread....

I agree with ABjo, the GMAC would appear to have no interest in public universities. But, I also think it is not in their interest to see the MEC further weakened. That is why I doubt we will see both Urbana and NDC move until the MEC has righted the ship (if at all). You don't want to drive the MEC schools back to NAIA-though they could stay together as a conference without an AQ I suppose.
    The SAC kept that same mentality until they added Virginia-Wise, in all fairness. That said, I could see the GMAC remaining true to their roots as an exclusively small-sized, private school-only conference. Could we see some more shifting in a few years? Possibly. I don't see to many public school D2 options in Ohio or West Virginia for the GMAC to go after. Central State was a charter member of the GMAC, but they eventually left for the SIAC in part because they didn't sponsor all of the GMAC's core sports; the only other non-D2 public four-year school which would remotely be an option is Shawnee State in Portsmouth, and they're an NAIA program, if I'm not mistaken.

And why, for example, would a school like West Liberty, whose men's basketball program has been an Atlantic Region powerhouse as part of the WVIAC/MEC, want to go into the GMAC and a Midwest Region with an even tougher path to the Elite Eight? Remember, four of the last 10 D2 MBB national champions have come out of the Midwest Region (Findlay, 2009; Bellarmine, 2011; Drury, 2013, Ferris State, 2018).

I can't help but think the GMAC ship sailed for Urbana and NDC when they initially committed to the GMAC before ultimately joining the MEC when both conferences were starting out.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    And, Lincoln chose to remain in the CIAA. That seems to be what both administrators and alumni seem to be happy with even though the PSAC would've made a much better geographic fit (though, not necessarily a competitive fit, as long as we're being honest). More power to them.

Leave a comment:

• RamPride
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Did Shepherd object to WJ joining the MEC? Did they ask for a different school(s) to be invited? Either at the start of the MEC or at any point over the last six years? My understanding is no to all.
    Do you know any of the answers to those questions? I and probably the rest of the Shepherd fans don't know if Shepherd did or did not ask/object to any of that. I don't think you have a clue to what is being discussed at the conference level in regards to each schools interest. But go ahead and spin it to make it sound like you do.

Leave a comment:

• cneagle99
    replied

The MEC is not "unraveling." We've lost two teams. I would not want to be in the GMAC as they are effectively the WVIAC but in a different state. I'd much rather be independent than be a member of either the GMAC or the PSAC.
    That was true until they secured the coup getting those GLIAC schools to come over. Now, I think the GMAC is a solid conference and no longer hanging by a thread....

I agree with ABjo, the GMAC would appear to have no interest in public universities. But, I also think it is not in their interest to see the MEC further weakened. That is why I doubt we will see both Urbana and NDC move until the MEC has righted the ship (if at all). You don't want to drive the MEC schools back to NAIA-though they could stay together as a conference without an AQ I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    MEC problems are miniscule compared to the PSAC. The worst performing MEC school would be in the middle of the PSAC pack right there with IUP.

West Virginia is a dying state hanging on to Cheeto as its savior.

Pennsylvania still has a growing population on one half of the state.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Says the man who's conference just "went after" a member from the MEC as opposed to the DII Lincoln (PA).

Seems like the PSAC as well could have a "very stable 9, 10, 11 team league with no worry" that fostered "natural rivalries"...Yet they chose not to.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    The way the MEC may unravel I certainly don't blame Shepherd for taking the lead and jumping to the PSAC. I'm hoping West Liberty has a plan B for worst case scenario but I doubt if they do. Let's face it, what could be their options, beg to get in the PSAC West, GMAC probably take them in a minute, go independent or go down to D3 in the Ohio Conference or the western PA Presidents Conference. Not good!
    The MEC is not "unraveling." We've lost two teams. I would not want to be in the GMAC as they are effectively the WVIAC but in a different state. I'd much rather be independent than be a member of either the GMAC or the PSAC.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    My objection is that he didn't even try. Why should Shepherd stay? There is not one good reason.
    Did Shepherd object to WJ joining the MEC? Did they ask for a different school(s) to be invited? Either at the start of the MEC or at any point over the last six years? My understanding is no to all.

Leave a comment:

• ABjo
    replied

The way the MEC may unravel I certainly don't blame Shepherd for taking the lead and jumping to the PSAC. I'm hoping West Liberty has a plan B for worst case scenario but I doubt if they do. Let's face it, what could be their options, beg to get in the PSAC West, GMAC probably take them in a minute, go independent or go down to D3 in the Ohio Conference or the western PA Presidents Conference. Not good!

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied

I mean, this is a move based on an opportunity. If the spot hadn't opened up in the PSAC, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied

I find the whole canard about Reid Amos being "WLU's Boy" a little funny. Amos grew up in Fairmont, went to Fairmont HS, graduated from Fairmont State, was the golf coach at Fairmont State for 5 years and lead Fairmont to two NCAA Tourney births, two WVIAC golf titles and was the WVIAC Coach of the Year, and spent 13 years working as the sports director for a Fairmont radio station covering Fairmont.

Lets see...five years at WLU vs about 20+ in, at, covering, coaching Fairmont...

So your basic objection is that he didn't kiss Shepherd's a$$ enough??
    My objection is that he didn't even try. Why should Shepherd stay? There is not one good reason.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    How about not invite Wheeling Jesuit and at least TRY to go after other schools. They seemed happy with this idea of 12 schools, including one that didn't have football. The basketball tournament being moved to Wheeling isn't an awful idea. But it's just another thing to help out WLU.

He basically said to hell with Shepherd, Wise, NDC and Urbana when he didn't even try to help their situations. Would he have found someone? I don't know, but he sat on his hands and only made sure to make a special consideration for one school. I'm happy to soon be done with this clown show.
    I find the whole canard about Reid Amos being "WLU's Boy" a little funny. Amos grew up in Fairmont, went to Fairmont HS, graduated from Fairmont State, was the golf coach at Fairmont State for 5 years and lead Fairmont to two NCAA Tourney births, two WVIAC golf titles and was the WVIAC Coach of the Year, and spent 13 years working as the sports director for a Fairmont radio station covering Fairmont.

Lets see...five years at WLU vs about 20+ in, at, covering, coaching Fairmont...

So your basic objection is that he didn't kiss Shepherd's a$$ enough??

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X