• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Tough
    replied
    Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    OK...Which WVIAC school (or other existing DII school) should the MEC have invited in place of Wheeling Jesuit? As for the move of the basketball tourney, are you advocating for continuing to have it in Charleston? We did that for 5 years...Think a change was overdue. I note that Wheeling is actually closer to Shepherd that Charleston so the MEC was actually saving Shepherd travel $'s by moving the tourney starting this coming year!
    How about not invite Wheeling Jesuit and at least TRY to go after other schools. They seemed happy with this idea of 12 schools, including one that didn't have football. The basketball tournament being moved to Wheeling isn't an awful idea. But it's just another thing to help out WLU.

He basically said to hell with Shepherd, Wise, NDC and Urbana when he didn't even try to help their situations. Would he have found someone? I don't know, but he sat on his hands and only made sure to make a special consideration for one school. I'm happy to soon be done with this clown show.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    Name one thing that the MEC did to take care of Shepherd. Meanwhile, Daddy Reid made sure that his friends at West Liberty were taken care of. WJU should've never been in the conference. They were only there because West Liberty wanted them there. The MEC basketball tournaments were moved to Wheeling. And when no one was near Shepherd or UVA-Wise, there was no movement toward conference expansion. You either move forward or cease to exist. Also, everyone tosses in the two Ohio schools together, but it isn't like they're next door to each other. Most of the schools were taken care of with geography. And the only school on the fringe that was taken care of was West Liberty.
    OK...Which WVIAC school (or other existing DII school) should the MEC have invited in place of Wheeling Jesuit? As for the move of the basketball tourney, are you advocating for continuing to have it in Charleston? We did that for 5 years...Think a change was overdue. I note that Wheeling is actually closer to Shepherd that Charleston so the MEC was actually saving Shepherd travel $'s by moving the tourney starting this coming year!

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied

Says the man who's conference just "went after" a member from the MEC as opposed to the DII Lincoln (PA).

Seems like the PSAC as well could have a "very stable 9, 10, 11 team league with no worry" that fostered "natural rivalries"...Yet they chose not to.
    I was told by someone in the know that the PSAC reached out to Lincoln before they ever entertained Shepherd.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

My favorite has always been the ones who pay for a Pitt or Duquese only to major in something like elementary education or marketing .... something like that -- and then work their whole career right alongside 90% of PASSHE grads.

They likely paid double (at least) for their degree to make the same amount as us lowly state school folk.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Wonder were Penn State, Pitt and Temple rank? Also doesn't help when you heap on a mountain of debt!!
    Pitt = $50,700 (28th-32nd)*
    Temple = $48,600 (40th)
    PSU Main = $48,500 (41st-61st)**

* - The Oakland (Main), Johnstown, Greensburg and Bradford campuses were listed separately.
    ** - University Park and all satellite campuses were listed separately.

Because of those two factors I noted, the actual state-wide rankings can be seen as skewed, for lack of a better word, but it's not like you're going to get that much richer having gone to Pitt compared to West Chester.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Says the man who's conference just "went after" a member from the MEC as opposed to the DII Lincoln (PA).

Seems like the PSAC as well could have a "very stable 9, 10, 11 team league with no worry" that fostered "natural rivalries"...Yet they chose not to.
    What makes you think the PSAC didn't approach Lincoln, only to be turned down because Lincoln, a 'state-related' HBCU, preferred to stay in the HBCU-centered CIAA despite road trips to Virginia and North Carolina (and, starting next year, South Carolina)?

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
    A few years ago, I was frustrated when some of the Ohio schools were looking to make a move and the MEC appeared to show no interest at all. It would have really helped NDC and Urbana out. I practically got my head bit off on here for even mentioning Ohio expansion as something to consider. Now, I understand that message board posters don't represent their school's leadership, but I got a strong inclination right then that the MEC masses weren't looking to accommodate the outliers.
    West Liberty is literally the only school that the MEC did anything special to accommodate.

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
    Name one thing that the MEC did to take care of Shepherd. Meanwhile, Daddy Reid made sure that his friends at West Liberty were taken care of. WJU should've never been in the conference. They were only there because West Liberty wanted them there. The MEC basketball tournaments were moved to Wheeling. And when no one was near Shepherd or UVA-Wise, there was no movement toward conference expansion. You either move forward or cease to exist. Also, everyone tosses in the two Ohio schools together, but it isn't like they're next door to each other. Most of the schools were taken care of with geography. And the only school on the fringe that was taken care of was West Liberty.
    A few years ago, I was frustrated when some of the Ohio schools were looking to make a move and the MEC appeared to show no interest at all. It would have really helped NDC and Urbana out. I practically got my head bit off on here for even mentioning Ohio expansion as something to consider. Now, I understand that message board posters don't represent their school's leadership, but I got a strong inclination right then that the MEC masses weren't looking to accommodate the outliers.

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied

I got my data from here:

http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/upl...inal-Draft.pdf

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yeah ... to be 10 years out ... those aren't very good earnings.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    This certainly doesn't help persuade kids to spend a fortune and go to school for 4-5 years ....

http://wccsradio.com/earnings-rankin...-ed-graduates/
    Wonder were Penn State, Pitt and Temple rank? Also doesn't help when you heap on a mountain of debt!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

This certainly doesn't help persuade kids to spend a fortune and go to school for 4-5 years ....

http://wccsradio.com/earnings-rankin...-ed-graduates/

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
    BTW - the WV schools in the G-MAC weren't stolen from the MEC. They were the WV schools that the MEC didn't want.*

*And I'm not saying that as a put down to our WV conferencemates. Its just that truth. For what its worth, the original OH schools in the G-MAC (including mine) were ones that the GLIAC didn't want. Its why we get along so well.
    I've got no beef with how the schools shook out when the MEC and GMAC were getting going. Now that they are both up and running and have been for a number of years, I would.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    It's odd but both OHIO and WV have 12 D2 schools. Minus SALEM in WV and CENTRAL STATE in OHIO it seems if rational minds were in play both states could have very stable 9, 10, 11 team leagues with no worry about the other. Travel budgets would be more in line, natural rivalries could be fostered and they could have something akin to the atmosphere of the PSAC in terms of a geographically logical set up. But if they continue to go after one another it's going to get bloody.
    BTW - the WV schools in the G-MAC weren't stolen from the MEC. They were the WV schools that the MEC didn't want.*

*And I'm not saying that as a put down to our WV conferencemates. Its just that truth. For what its worth, the original OH schools in the G-MAC (including mine) were ones that the GLIAC didn't want. Its why we get along so well.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X