Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    In my opinion, the director's cup should only count.

Football/Volleyball
    Cross Country/Cross Country
    Basketball/Basketball
    Baseball/Softball
    Track&Field/Track&Field

Something like that. The same T&F team can score director's cup points for both indoor and outdoor.
    Spoken like a guy who didn't have a daughter play lacrosse or a son who didn't swim.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
      Spoken like a guy who didn't have a daughter play lacrosse or a son who didn't swim.
      No kids. Obviously this gives me less emotional attachment in the ability to think clearly. ;)

Edit: I wrote the first half of that on my phone while driving. I couldn't expand on it until now.

In all seriousness, I was attempting to pick the two main sports per season based upon my guess at participation. Not counting any sports I left out as part of the director's cup in no way diminishes the achievements in those sports, it simply means the participation or popularity isn't as much. I only picked one winter sport because typically the only sport played besides basketball is indoor track, which would have given too much emphasis to track and field type sports for the director's cup standings.

Since Division II schools are required to have 10 sports, I thought the 10 I listed were the best choices.

Comment

I looked up Division II sport sponsorship:

Women's:

319 - Basketball
        307 - Cross Country
        306 - Volleyball
        296 - Softball
        268 - Soccer
        246 - Track Outdoor
        226 - Tennis
        195 - Track Indoor
        192 - Golf
        107 - Lacrosse
        104 - Swimming

Men's:

318 - Basketball
        280 - Cross Country
        270 - Baseball
        233 - Golf
        217 - Soccer
        215 - Track Outdoor
        173 - Track Indoor
        172 - Football
        169 - Tennis
        75 - Swimming
        67 - Lacrosse

Comment

Women's:

319 - Basketball
          307 - Cross Country
          306 - Volleyball
          296 - Softball
          268 - Soccer
          246 - Track Outdoor
          226 - Tennis
          195 - Track Indoor
          192 - Golf
          107 - Lacrosse
          104 - Swimming

Men's:

318 - Basketball
          280 - Cross Country
          270 - Baseball
          233 - Golf
          217 - Soccer
          215 - Track Outdoor
          173 - Track Indoor
          172 - Football
          169 - Tennis
          75 - Swimming
          67 - Lacrosse
          You missed field hockey. The NCAA somehow justifies having a NC tournament in a sport that only has 30 TEAMS !!!! Basically 2 conferences, PSAC and NE10, take turns hoisting this bogus trophy and bragging about winning it. There needs to be a 100 team minimum for a sport to sponsor a NC tournament.

Comment

No kids. Obviously this gives me less emotional attachment in the ability to think clearly. ;)

Edit: I wrote the first half of that on my phone while driving. I couldn't expand on it until now.

In all seriousness, I was attempting to pick the two main sports per season based upon my guess at participation. Not counting any sports I left out as part of the director's cup in no way diminishes the achievements in those sports, it simply means the participation or popularity isn't as much. I only picked one winter sport because typically the only sport played besides basketball is indoor track, which would have given too much emphasis to track and field type sports for the director's cup standings.

Since Division II schools are required to have 10 sports, I thought the 10 I listed were the best choices.
            And not counting "less popular" sports will drive future participation in them?

These are just odd comments coming from someone who advocates for Division II football. I mean, it's Division II, why should they even have a playoff or championship? :disapointed:

Comment

Please don't do this anymore. There are a lot of us that would like to have you around for a long time. :doh:

Comment

The hard thing about is if you limit it to the popular sports or try to assign a relative value that assigns points based on participation, you run the risk of upsetting the parents and true believers of any number of "boutique" sports. That's the problem with these "rankings." Each is an attempt to reach a compromise between several sometimes wildly divergent points of view. That's part of the reason I don't really care about these sorts of "rankings" and get a good chuckle when people quote them as PROOF of the greatness of their school.

But for the sake of argument, here's my list of sports that should be part of a mythical ranking system:

Men's Basketball
                Men's Football
                Baseball
                Men's Soccer
                Men's Outdoor and Indoor Track and Field (combined)
                Women's Basketball
                Women's Volleyball
                Softball
                Women's Soccer
                Women's Outdoor and Indoor Track and Field (Combined)

100 points for the team winner of each sport, 90 for the runner up, 80 for each losing semifinalist, 70 for each losing Quarterfinalist, each school that doesn't make the playoff field but has an overall DII W/L winning % at or above .600 get's 25 points. Total all the points a school gets at the end of the year and divide by 10. Stack them up top to bottom, declare the school with the top score the "winner," go home and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  You missed field hockey. The NCAA somehow justifies having a NC tournament in a sport that only has 30 TEAMS !!!! Basically 2 conferences, PSAC and NE10, take turns hoisting this bogus trophy and bragging about winning it. There needs to be a 100 team minimum for a sport to sponsor a NC tournament.
                  I only listed the top 10 in each gender. Should have stated that.

Comment

And not counting "less popular" sports will drive future participation in them?

These are just odd comments coming from someone who advocates for Division II football. I mean, it's Division II, why should they even have a playoff or championship? :disapointed:
                    I don't think not including a sport in the director's cup will have one bit of influence on its participation. Your son's passion for swimming had nothing to do with his desire to score points in the director's cup. Your daughter's passion for field hockey had nothing to do with the director's cup. I'm quite sure they were both motivated, competitive people who fell in love with a sport and played it to the best of their ability.

If you eliminated football from the director's cup, kids won't suddenly stop playing it and schools wouldn't suddenly stop sponsoring it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      The hard thing about is if you limit it to the popular sports or try to assign a relative value that assigns points based on participation, you run the risk of upsetting the parents and true believers of any number of "boutique" sports. That's the problem with these "rankings." Each is an attempt to reach a compromise between several sometimes wildly divergent points of view. That's part of the reason I don't really care about these sorts of "rankings" and get a good chuckle when people quote them as PROOF of the greatness of their school.

But for the sake of argument, here's my list of sports that should be part of a mythical ranking system:

Men's Basketball
                      Men's Football
                      Men's Baseball
                      Men's Soccer
                      Men's Outdoor and Indoor Track and Field (combined)
                      Women's Basketball
                      Women's Volleyball
                      Women's Softball
                      Women's Soccer
                      Women's Outdoor and Indoor Track and Field (Combined)

100 points for the team winner of each sport, 90 for the runner up, 80 for each losing semifinalist, 70 for each losing Quarterfinalist, each school that doesn't make the playoff field but has an overall DII W/L winning % at or above .600 get's 25 points. Total all the points a school gets at the end of the year and divide by 10. Stack them up top to bottom, declare the school with the top score the "winner," go home and enjoy the rest of your summer!
                      That's a solid plan, too. I was simply trying to include the most participated sports (minus football).

Comment

That's a solid plan, too. I was simply trying to include the most participated sports (minus football).
                        Yea...Understood. No right solution to this...Seems like every system has it's strengths and flaws. That's why I really don't put much stock in them. But hey...It's the off season and we've talked the MEC/Shepherd/PSAC/Frostburg/GMAC/AB/D&E "issues" to death...Might as well talk about systems for finding the "Best DII sports universities in the nation!!"

I too find it difficult to believe that these "Directors Cup" rankings are driving kids to or from particular sports or universities. I'd like to meet the star field hockey recruit who says, "I'm going to Millersville because I think they deserve to be a top 50 school in the Learfield Directors Cup standings...and I'm just the woman to get them there!!!!!"

Comment

If you eliminated football from the director's cup, kids won't suddenly stop playing it and schools wouldn't suddenly stop sponsoring it.
                          True, because as we both agree, it's already a popular sport.

I don't think not including a sport in the director's cup will have one bit of influence on its participation. Your son's passion for swimming had nothing to do with his desire to score points in the director's cup. Your daughter's passion for field hockey had nothing to do with the director's cup. I'm quite sure they were both motivated, competitive people who fell in love with a sport and played it to the best of their ability.
                          Individuals don't participate in a sport due to it being considered in the director's cup, but school sponsorship probably does. But if certain sports shouldn't be considered, as you've suggested, you're essentially saying that those sports don't matter as much as others do, which is what many say about Division II as a whole.

Comment

Women's:

319 - Basketball
                            307 - Cross Country
                            306 - Volleyball
                            296 - Softball
                            268 - Soccer
                            246 - Track Outdoor
                            226 - Tennis
                            195 - Track Indoor
                            192 - Golf
                            107 - Lacrosse
                            104 - Swimming

Men's:

318 - Basketball
                            280 - Cross Country
                            270 - Baseball
                            233 - Golf
                            217 - Soccer
                            215 - Track Outdoor
                            173 - Track Indoor
                            172 - Football
                            169 - Tennis
                            75 - Swimming
                            67 - Lacrosse

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                              and only award half the points for the two track seasons.
                              Why? I mean, WE like football but is it fair to the 14 sports that has more schools participating in them than football to give football "extra" unearned points??

Comment

True, because as we both agree, it's already a popular sport.

Individuals don't participate in a sport due to it being considered in the director's cup, but school sponsorship probably does. But if certain sports shouldn't be considered, as you've suggested, you're essentially saying that those sports don't matter as much as others do, which is what many say about Division II as a whole.
                                A school cannot count every sport it sponsors as it is now if they sponsor more than 15 sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X