Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

I fail to see how the MEC can somehow take credit for our Wrestling National Championship in a non-MEC sport, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
      I fail to see how the MEC can somehow take credit for our Wrestling National Championship in a non-MEC sport, but whatever.
      They are a member school who's athletic department reaps benefit from being a member.

So, I have stated that the MEC's athletic success is better than the GMAC's and that, coupled with the shorter driving distance might be enough to saw Ashland were the GMAC has failed. I've been told on this board that that is NOT the case and that the GMAC is every bit as successful as the MEC. For the sake of comparison, what is the GMAC's record of NCAA success since it's inception? I mean, it they are equally as successful as the MEC, it would be worth knowing...RIGHT?? How many National Titles has the GMAC won? How many NC games have they appeared in? How many regional titles?

Comment

Come on now. A conference doesn't get a title in a sport it doesn't have. That would be like the Summit League taking credit for Denver's men's lacrosse title. Of course, Denver plays lacrosse in the Big East, so that makes it a Big East program.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
          Come on now. A conference doesn't get a title in a sport it doesn't have. That would be like the Summit League taking credit for Denver's men's lacrosse title. Of course, Denver plays lacrosse in the Big East, so that makes it a Big East program.
          Exactly...so it would be a Big East title because they were a member of the Big East for wrestling. If they were an independent, it would be a Summit League credit.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I would not be surprised if the MEC has approached Ashland regarding membership. I would also not be surprised if Ashland responded "WHO?" .

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
              Boatcapt, your premise is clearly rooted in a belief that the MEC is a competitively superior conference to the G-MAC. Is your belief related to football-only, or is this an all-sports perspective? Does the loss of Shepherd change your view at all? While I admit that there was an undeniable gap years ago (when the G-MAC only had 2-3 football schools), The last 2 years of expansion have certainly changed the G-MAC's standing. Given Findlay's performance in last year's football playoffs (combined with the G-MAC addition of Tiffin and the MEC loss of Shepherd) and the G-MAC's list of schools in this years top-100 of the Directors Cup standings, I could probably make the argument that the G-MAC may have surpassed the MEC both in football and all-sports. I will refrain from going there, as competitiveness is fluid and one year does not make a trend. However, I just don't see the big gap that you keep alluding to.
              Last edited by BlueBlood; 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Lordy .... football can't get here fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Exactly...so it would be a Big East title because they were a member of the Big East for wrestling. If they were an independent, it would be a Summit League credit.
                  Ummmm ... No. The Summit League would have nothing to do with it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                    BoatCapt, If you re-read my post, I completely concede that the MEC has had a more successful early go. For some of those years, we only had 6 schools (that no other conference wanted). However, my post was directed toward the present and future. The G-MAC has certainly worked to improve its standing via expansion. This year, the G-MAC had 4 teams in the Directors Cup top 100
                    Yea...I don't take the Directors Cup very seriously. They seem to forget about teams at random intervals...This year they appear to have forgotten about UVA-Wise in the MEC, Cheyney in the PSAC and Cedarville, KWC and Trevecca from the GMAC...And these are the three conferences I checked! I would imagine that there are other schools they forgot about from other conferences as well. Kind of like those preseason DII polls that give a "break down" of teams and include players that graduated the previous year and then expect you to trust that they are DII experts.

Comment

Yea...I don't take the Directors Cup very seriously. They seem to forget about teams at random intervals...This year they appear to have forgotten about UVA-Wise in the MEC, Cheyney in the PSAC and Cedarville, KWC and Trevecca from the GMAC...And these are the three conferences I checked! I would imagine that there are other schools they forgot about from other conferences as well. Kind of like those preseason DII polls that give a "break down" of teams and include players that graduated the previous year and then expect you to trust that they are DII experts.

Comment

That could be. But I also have an issue with the point allocation among the various sports. For example, there are 10 teams in the nation that play DII Field Hockey. The winner of Field Hockey gets 100 points in the standings...Just like the #1 Football team. The #5 Field Hockey team gets 25 points...just like the TWELVE #17 rated Football teams!! Don't worry though, Alaska Fairbanks did pick up 112 points for finishing #6 and 12 in Riffle and Skiing (I'm assuming that is snow skiing??)!!:bulgy-eyes:
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Bad timing ... I'd have been a clear cut, blue chip, full ride, D1 bowler.

Ahead of my time.

I'm sure, BTW, the bowling studs get all the chicks.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Bad timing ... I'd have been a clear cut, blue chip, full ride, D1 bowler.

Ahead of my time.

I'm sure, BTW, the bowling studs get all the chicks.
                            HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You could have gotten your school 100 Directors Cup points! That alone would have been enough to rank your team above 18 SR1 schools!!!!!!!!!

Bowing atuds don't get the chicks...That is unless you're Ernie McCracken..."Big Ern" gets ALL the ladies!!!

Comment

Sorry...Been working nights.

In just five years of existence, MEC institutions have produced:

Three team NCAA Division II champions
                              Seven national finals appearances
                              18 national semifinals appearances
                              18 Atlantic Region/SR1 titles
                              104 NCAA postseason berths
                              Every MEC team has been selected at least once to participate in the NCAA playoffs

This comes out to:

.6 National Championships per year
                              3.6 Regional Titles per year

According to the GLIAC web site between 2000 and 2018 (18 years) they have achieved:

24 National Championships
                              142 Regional Championships

That works out to:

1.3 National Championships per year
                              7.8 Regional Titles per year

Care to post the GMAC's "resume" so we can compare??
                              18 years? You do know about half of the current GMAC schools competed in 16 of those 18 years in the GLIAC??

Comment

In my opinion, the director's cup should only count.

Football/Volleyball
                                Cross Country/Cross Country
                                Basketball/Basketball
                                Baseball/Softball
                                Track&Field/Track&Field

Something like that. The same T&F team can score director's cup points for both indoor and outdoor.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X