Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    And, Lincoln chose to remain in the CIAA. That seems to be what both administrators and alumni seem to be happy with even though the PSAC would've made a much better geographic fit (though, not necessarily a competitive fit, as long as we're being honest). More power to them.

Lincoln would have been a warm body.

Comment

• Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      In the not too distant past (2'ish weeks ago?) he said that Frostburg was a lock but they were delaying to insure they would be eligible for the D3 playoffs for the 2018/19 year. I've talked with a Frostburg coach who said basically the same thing.

He also said that the three conferences had a gentleman's agreement (his term) to not directly target each others teams until a team from another conference contacted them first. He told me this about 6 months ago. Clearly that agreement is not in force now.
      Even if Frostburg were to make the move, they wouldn't be able to begin the transition from D3 to D2 until 2019-2020 at the earliest (the deadline, IINM, is Feb. 1, 2019 to get into the process for 2019-2020). I don't see how potential D3 playoff eligibility in 2018-2019 would even be a concern.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
        Lincoln would have been a warm body.
        True. But, at least the PSAC ended up with more than just a 'warm body' in this case. Although, if you wanted to make the 'warm body' argument, the PSAC could probably still use an 18th member for baseball, even as an affiliate, from 2020 onward since you'll have an uneven number of baseball teams in the PSAC with Shepherd's addition (Edinboro doesn't sponsor baseball).

Comment

Frostburg is moving up to D2. None of the schools you mention have made any indication they want to move up to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenontheHill View Post
            Frostburg is moving up to D2. None of the schools you mention have made any indication they want to move up to D2.

Did Frostburg express interest prior to being asked? Did Shepherd express interest in the PSAC prior to being asked?

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't.

You can't make assumptions. You want somebody ... go get them.

W&J and Waynesburg are right beside (real close) to California. But, the PAC has a very long, rich history. Its members all have a certain 'air' to them. They certainly don't fit the mold of a primarily public school league.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
              True. But, at least the PSAC ended up with more than just a 'warm body' in this case. Although, if you wanted to make the 'warm body' argument, the PSAC could probably still use an 18th member for baseball, even as an affiliate, from 2020 onward since you'll have an uneven number of baseball teams in the PSAC with Shepherd's addition (Edinboro doesn't sponsor baseball).
              Apparently PSAC baseball is doing fairly well as it is over the past few seasons.....

Comment

Even if Frostburg were to make the move, they wouldn't be able to begin the transition from D3 to D2 until 2019-2020 at the earliest (the deadline, IINM, is Feb. 1, 2019 to get into the process for 2019-2020). I don't see how potential D3 playoff eligibility in 2018-2019 would even be a concern.
                Just relaying what I was told by two different people. Apparently they felt that publically announcing before a particular date could possibly jeopardize their ability to participate in the D3 playoffs this coming year. Maybe it was a conference thing with their D3 conferences? I.E. officially announce your intention to leave the conference (moving up to DII would be leaving the conference) and the conference makes you ineligible for automatic conference playoff berths. Don't know...just guessing.

Comment

Just relaying what I was told by two different people. Apparently they felt that publically announcing before a particular date could possibly jeopardize their ability to participate in the D3 playoffs this coming year. Maybe it was a conference thing with their D3 conferences? I.E. officially announce your intention to leave the conference (moving up to DII would be leaving the conference) and the conference makes you ineligible for automatic conference playoff berths. Don't know...just guessing.
                  I hadn't looked at it from that angle, but that's a fair point. Conferences have been known to be a little petty sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Did Frostburg express interest prior to being asked? Did Shepherd express interest in the PSAC prior to being asked?

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't.

You can't make assumptions. You want somebody ... go get them.

W&J and Waynesburg are right beside (real close) to California. But, the PAC has a very long, rich history. Its members all have a certain 'air' to them. They certainly don't fit the mold of a primarily public school league.
                    The MEC is roughly a 50/50 split between public and private schools. The fit is the school size and how they commit to their athletic program. Frostburg will be the largest school in the MEC and with 19 sports sponsored, they will be one of if not the top schools in the MEC based on sports sponsored.

Frostburg moving up to DII has been something they have considered at least two times in the past (I think they actually started the process in the 80's maybe). Most recently was in 2015 (if memory serves me correctly) but they decided not to proceed saying the timing "wasn't right."
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I hadn't looked at it from that angle, but that's a fair point. Conferences have been known to be a little petty sometimes...
                      Sometimes :::cough::: :::cough::: IUP Rule :::cough::: :::cough::::

Comment

I find the whole canard about Reid Amos being "WLU's Boy" a little funny. Amos grew up in Fairmont, went to Fairmont HS, graduated from Fairmont State, was the golf coach at Fairmont State for 5 years and lead Fairmont to two NCAA Tourney births, two WVIAC golf titles and was the WVIAC Coach of the Year, and spent 13 years working as the sports director for a Fairmont radio station covering Fairmont.

Lets see...five years at WLU vs about 20+ in, at, covering, coaching Fairmont...

So your basic objection is that he didn't kiss Shepherd's a$$ enough??
                        YES!!!
                        From the beginning of the MEC, WL has been catered to. The move of the BBALL tourney is the latest event...

Consider this run within the Shepherd-WL all time FBALL series...
                        2011 @ Shep- Shep wins 50-24
                        2012 @ WL- WL wins 17-16*** END OF WVIAC
                        2013 NO GAME IN THE SERIES- ***FIRST YEAR OF MEC
                        2014 @ WL- Shep wins 38-13
                        2015 @ Shep- Shep wins 44-10

Notice anything??? From its inception the MEC has taken care of WL... Why does WL get the 3 year break from coming into the toughest place to play in the conference? Hell they were even given a year off from playing the best team!!! WHY WL??? Why not state or other teams that have performed consistently below WL? Furthermore none of Sheps Home/away rotation shifted from WVIAC to MEC other than WL!!! HMMMM, makes you wonder!!!

One last point, though personally I do believe it was mathematical vs "all Reid", in 2016 the optics of Reid sitting atop the regional ranking committee that put the undefeated, defending regional champs, and national runner-ups in the middle of the regional rankings did not sit well with Ram fans. I don't blame Reid for that, but many Ram fans did.

I am enjoying the bitterness in your posts as your true feelings for Shepherd are finally coming out!!! You love us, and can't fathom living without us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShepRams69 View Post
                          YES!!!
                          From the beginning of the MEC, WL has been catered to. The move of the BBALL tourney is the latest event...

Consider this run within the Shepherd-WL all time FBALL series...
                          2011 @ Shep- Shep wins 50-24
                          2012 @ WL- WL wins 17-16*** END OF WVIAC
                          2013 NO GAME IN THE SERIES- ***FIRST YEAR OF MEC
                          2014 @ WL- Shep wins 38-13
                          2015 @ Shep- Shep wins 44-10

Notice anything??? From its inception the MEC has taken care of WL... Why does WL get the 3 year break from coming into the toughest place to play in the conference? Hell they were even given a year off from playing the best team!!! WHY WL??? Why not state or other teams that have performed consistently below WL? Furthermore none of Sheps Home/away rotation shifted from WVIAC to MEC other than WL!!! HMMMM, makes you wonder!!!

One last point, though personally I do believe it was mathematical vs "all Reid", in 2016 the optics of Reid sitting atop the regional ranking committee that put the undefeated, defending regional champs, and national runner-ups in the middle of the regional rankings did not sit well with Ram fans. I don't blame Reid for that, but many Ram fans did.

I am enjoying the bitterness in your posts as your true feelings for Shepherd are finally coming out!!! You love us, and can't fathom living without us!!!
                          Why on earth would you want to continue to play the basketball tourney in Charleston? But ignoring Charleston's failure to promote the event year after year, it was an open bid contract process for which location would be awarded the event...years past Wheeling did not submit a bid and Charleston effectively wrote their own ticket. This year Wheeling did submit a bid and it was better than Charleston's. Sooooo...Assuming Reid has that power, he should have stepped in and said, "I know Wheeling submitted a lower bid, but dam it, Shepherd wants the tourney in Charleston so I'm going to give it to them!" I would imagine the conference presidents would have had a little bit to say about Reid's frivolous spending of conference funds!!

WLU at Shepherd week in 2013 would have been the first week of the season. I don't recall Shepherd clamoring to cancel their game vs Shippensburg to play WLU. Shepherd also had an open date Oct 26 while WLU played WVW. Since both WLU and WVW were playing in NC the first week of the season, they probably would have been open to rescheduling their Oct 26 to the first game of the season which would have allowed Shepherd and WLU to play their oh so critical game in 2013. But hey, your right, easier to believe Reid Amos has personally overseen a conference "assault" on Shepherd of such magnitude that Shepherd had no choice but to leave the conference.

I've said in the past on numerous occasions, I have a lot of respect for Shepherd's football program and what they have achieved. I think their move to the PSAC is a big mistake for a number of reasons. Supposedly, one of the big motivators (besides Reid Amos being "out to get them!!") is the savings they will enjoy through through decrease in travel costs. But not pointed out is that Shepherds athletic budget which was the highest among public schools in the MEC will become the smallest by a considerable amount in the PSAC. Wonder how long it will be before the travel cost savings are overcome by big increases in the budget for the athletic department? And I wonder what impact that will have on the rest of the University?
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 06-11-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I don't understand this "Reid Amos Conspiracy Theory". I do understand Shepherd's move to the PSAC as very logical.

I remember when the WVIAC dissolved and the MEC was formed. There were two people on the MEC membership committee. Those two people were:

Reid Amos, who was employed at West Liberty working under Robin Capehart

and

B.J. Pumroy, who was employed as athletic director at Shepherd University

In fact, both appeared on statewide radio together and on various other news agencies promoting the new conference at the time. Amos was not commissioner at the time. He was later named commissioner of the league at the vote of all conference member presidents. If Shepherd has a problem on how the league was designed, then they only have to blame their former athletic director. One can go back and read all of this. I know what is going to be said that Pumroy was fired and possibly for how he formed the conference. But....Shepherd hired him. Shepherd employed him. And Shepherd didn't have too much trouble allowing him to be one of two people on the membership committee. So, in essence, Shepherd only has itself to blame on how the conference was formed. At the time the conference was formed, the posters of Shepherd seemed to really think this was a great move.

Again, I understand Shepherd's move. It saves travel money and expenses that can in turn be used on more scholarships and facilities improvements. But, they also employed one of two people who comprised the initial MEC membership committee.

Comment

Why on earth would you want to continue to play the basketball tourney in Charleston? But ignoring Charleston's failure to promote the event year after year, it was an open bid contract process for which location would be awarded the event...years past Wheeling did not submit a bid and Charleston effectively wrote their own ticket. This year Wheeling did submit a bid and it was better than Charleston's. Sooooo...Assuming Reid has that power, he should have stepped in and said, "I know Wheeling submitted a lower bid, but dam it, Shepherd wants the tourney in Charleston so I'm going to give it to them!" I would imagine the conference presidents would have had a little bit to say about Reid's frivolous spending of conference funds!!
                              Charleston did not even submit a bid to host the tournament for the next two years. The big reason is the NCAA basketball calendar for next year and the WVSSAC basketball calendar for next year.

Next year, the WV State Girl's Basketball tournament is slated for the same week as the MEC tournament. Charleston would have had to nix one of those tournaments. They chose not to bid on the MEC tournament. They will bid on the tournament in future seasons. They put a ton of money in remodeling the Civic Center and will need some cash flow for future years, not to mention some hotel tax revenue.

I don't know any thing about Wheeling's arena. Charleston does have many good qualities....the Civic Center is in close proximity to many good hotels and restaurants within walking distance of the Civic Center. That is hard to beat. Some of those hotels also have the capability of feeding teams. The Charleston GazetteMail gives as good as coverage for a D2 tournament that you are going to find. There are critics of newspapers. But the Gazette Mail has the capability and staff to cover both high school regional tournaments and the MEC tournament at the same time.

I would agree that Danny Jones and Company do not do enough to promote the tournament. It seems a lot of sponsors for the tournament are found by the league office. Charleston also does not support the tournament in terms of ticket revenue. That building costs a lot to rent and if the tickets don't move, then your revenue is cut down. Amos does a great job with having the best Video/Audio package of any D2 basketball tournament. That is where he is great. He partnered with WV Metronews and has the best production you will find in D2 basketball. That will simply carry up to Wheeling for the next two years.

I pass no judgement on Wheeling until the tournament has had two years to run. Charleston has its' pros and cons. But it certainly was time for a change.

Comment

Always the notion of not taking the games off campus (like the PSAC).

Charleston wasn't drawing any gate for the vast majority of those games. High school will outdraw the MEC ... perhaps by far. Keep the money on campus. Games played in a huge arena with 300 people in the stands just look awful (ask California).

We'll see what happens at Wheeling Jesuit but this is putting the tournament in the backyard of the two top fan bases. Everything is about money end of the day.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X