replied
    Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

The opportunity for Shepherd came along when
    :bulgy-eyes::doh:

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Well, if things get so bad hopefully West Liberty could try and get in the PSAC West or the GMAC. They are in a good location for either.

Leave a comment:

• ABjo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
    The MEC is starting to look unstable with a rumor that a third school might be on the way out. And the loss of Shepherd will be a huge blow to the prestige of the conference
    Is the third school NDC, or are you referencing another school?

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Well said, a merger will not appeal to the four schools that you mention. It goes against why we like being in the GMAC.
    Exactly. The OH schools want to be together, are mostly old NAIA conferencemates, and started laying the groundwork for an OH D2 conference a decade and a half ago. I don't see them wanting to merge .

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Makes sense? To who? The MEC schools which now need schools that are actually D2? If those G-MAC schools wanted that, then they would have certainly joined the MEC after leaving the GLIAC. I can't see the G-MAC schools in Ohio and Michigan going for this at all. I remind those that Findlay just went on the road this past season and knocked off the MEC's football darling Shepherd.

I can't see Hillsdale, Findlay, Tiffin and Ohio Dominican wanting to follow along the Robin Capehart gameplan and taking orders from Reid Amos. Sorry. We are talking about private, conservative schools that seem to have athletic departments that flourish. These schools seem to have bought into what Tom Daeger offered and like the progress the G-MAC is obtaining.
    Well said, a merger will not appeal to the four schools that you mention. It goes against why we like being in the GMAC.

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied

Which is why NDC is rooting for ABU to take Shepherds place. It creates a GMAC opening.

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied

Or, they pick up the phone and ask the PSAC if they ever contemplated a 20-team conference.

Leave a comment:

• cneagle99
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    The cards now lie in Tom Daeger's hands. He has 9 football members in his conference. He has built a solid conference but wants to continue to strengthen the conference by adding some members. Ashland was invited and turned the invitation down. But in declining, they issued a statement in which they said it wasn't the right time now but will be evaluated down the road. So, the G-MAC isn't stopping.

Will he offer a membership to Notre Dame? He could actually lay down the dagger and invite Notre Dame, WV Wesleyan and Urbana. He is a class individual and I don't think he would do that. But considering the MEC had no problem "poaching" the G-MAC when he was trying to get the G-MAC started, I wouldn't blame him. Personally, WV Wesleyan fits the G-MAC profile very well and it would begin to allow the G-MAC to use Pod scheduling in Olympic sports and basketball while still adding a football playing member that is in close proximity to A-B, D&E and Ohio Valley. I just don't see him doing it.
    My understanding is that NDC has recently inquired. I expect movement. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
    Now that Shepherd has made their move, I mentioned before about a possible merger between MEC/GMAC which makes perfect sense minus KWU who will more than likely move to D3 or NAIA.
    Makes sense? To who? The MEC schools which now need schools that are actually D2? If those G-MAC schools wanted that, then they would have certainly joined the MEC after leaving the GLIAC. I can't see the G-MAC schools in Ohio and Michigan going for this at all. I remind those that Findlay just went on the road this past season and knocked off the MEC's football darling Shepherd.

I can't see Hillsdale, Findlay, Tiffin and Ohio Dominican wanting to follow along the Robin Capehart gameplan and taking orders from Reid Amos. Sorry. We are talking about private, conservative schools that seem to have athletic departments that flourish. These schools seem to have bought into what Tom Daeger offered and like the progress the G-MAC is obtaining.

Leave a comment:

• cneagle99
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I would think Frostburg would pretty much "sprint" to the MEC after the leaving of Shepherd. Can someone tell me why it could give them cold feet?
    You might be just a bit wary to join a conference that has lost two members including their top FB school. My guess is they'll wait and see how this all plays out. Unless MEC sweetens the offer though I can't see how they could.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied

The cards now lie in Tom Daeger's hands. He has 9 football members in his conference. He has built a solid conference but wants to continue to strengthen the conference by adding some members. Ashland was invited and turned the invitation down. But in declining, they issued a statement in which they said it wasn't the right time now but will be evaluated down the road. So, the G-MAC isn't stopping.

Will he offer a membership to Notre Dame? He could actually lay down the dagger and invite Notre Dame, WV Wesleyan and Urbana. He is a class individual and I don't think he would do that. But considering the MEC had no problem "poaching" the G-MAC when he was trying to get the G-MAC started, I wouldn't blame him. Personally, WV Wesleyan fits the G-MAC profile very well and it would begin to allow the G-MAC to use Pod scheduling in Olympic sports and basketball while still adding a football playing member that is in close proximity to A-B, D&E and Ohio Valley. I just don't see him doing it.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
    Wonder if this will cause Frostburg to get cold feet.
    I would think Frostburg would pretty much "sprint" to the MEC after the leaving of Shepherd. Can someone tell me why it could give them cold feet?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X