Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Generally, I agree. A person, school or in this case a conference shouldn't jump into a decision immediately after a traumatic situation. But, unfortunately, the MEC has left themselves in a situation were they need to act rather quickly. That said, there is no need to act tomorrow or next week (or even next month). They do have at least a few months to add one football playing school as a replacement for AB. After that, they can act more deliberately in adding a second (NDC Replacement) and third football school (UNCP Replacement).

While I'm sad to see NDC go, it does open up a number of possible schools that might have been driven off (pun intended) by the distance to NDC. Schools in eastern KY, VA and even Eastern MD might be more interested when not facing a 500'ish mile trek to the southwestern shore of Lake Erie. Some schools that I would call/recall:

Salisbury University MD - Always rumored to be a "package deal" with Frostburg until the later joined the MEC. Are part of somthing called the Coast-to-Coast Conference which as near as I can tell is kind of a D3 holding conference that doesn't have regular season conference play. Does not having NDC and the 500 mile one way drive to it move the needle?

Univ of Pikeville KY - Talked about many times here about. In short, solid NAIA school with solid athletics (inc football) and close to the southern members of the MEC. Again, does the absence of the long trek to NDC tip the scale?

Those are just a couple of examples of schools that have been talked about here that might make a different decision now that NDC is not part of the driving equation.

I have always said that UPike makes so much sense in D2. At times, I'm not sure if UPike wants to make that move, but I honestly feel like they would be a natural fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I have always said that UPike makes so much sense in D2. At times, I'm not sure if UPike wants to make that move, but I honestly feel like they would be a natural fit.
      True...They seem like a no brainer. But at this point, you have to wonder if they want to move up. Still worth the ask in light of the NDC drive being out of the equation. Do to the relatively recent AB driven recruitment, the MEC should have made presentations to all interested schools in the area and presumably should have a short list of schools that expressed some level of interest. Contact those again in light of the NDC closure and see if that sways any that were on the fence.

Comment

Generally, I agree. A person, school or in this case a conference shouldn't jump into a decision immediately after a traumatic situation. But, unfortunately, the MEC has left themselves in a situation were they need to act rather quickly. That said, there is no need to act tomorrow or next week (or even next month). They do have at least a few months to add one football playing school as a replacement for AB. After that, they can act more deliberately in adding a second (NDC Replacement) and third football school (UNCP Replacement).

While I'm sad to see NDC go, it does open up a number of possible schools that might have been driven off (pun intended) by the distance to NDC. Schools in eastern KY, VA and even Eastern MD might be more interested when not facing a 500'ish mile trek to the southwestern shore of Lake Erie. Some schools that I would call/recall:

Salisbury University MD - Always rumored to be a "package deal" with Frostburg until the later joined the MEC. Are part of somthing called the Coast-to-Coast Conference which as near as I can tell is kind of a D3 holding conference that doesn't have regular season conference play. Does not having NDC and the 500 mile one way drive to it move the needle?

Univ of Pikeville KY - Talked about many times here about. In short, solid NAIA school with solid athletics (inc football) and close to the southern members of the MEC. Again, does the absence of the long trek to NDC tip the scale?

Those are just a couple of examples of schools that have been talked about here that might make a different decision now that NDC is not part of the driving equation.

I'd have to think Wheeling is at the tip off the plank.

Salisbury would be a great addition if they'd make the jump.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ya, the recent firing of their president seems like an odd look.

https://www.theintelligencer.net/new...ved-of-duties/

I know most on this thread will be focused on football, but its hard to think that a WV centric conference will not at least consider WV Tech and Salem.

Comment

You could be right on Wheeling but I would note that people have been speculating about them for a number of years. Maybe it happens this year...maybe two years from now...maybe never.

Reason I add Salisbury is that they have ALWAYS been viewed as a package deal with Frostburg. There is a historic pull between these two schools for some reason so maybe absent the driving distance to NDC, that pull is great enough to cause them to jump...OR...maybe not! They have the infrastructure to be successful and I don't think they are in financial/enrolment difficulties (given the current situation, THAT is a big deal).

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Ya, the recent firing of their president seems like an odd look.

https://www.theintelligencer.net/new...ved-of-duties/

I know most on this thread will be focused on football, but its hard to think that a WV centric conference will not at least consider WV Tech and Salem.
              MAN...You are beating the Salem drum for sure!! Given the situation with recently added and now closed AB and now the closing of NDC, we REALLY don't need to take on a life-support school like Salem!

Now WVU Tech? A real case can be made for them. Yes they were circling the drain in the past but they are now effectively a completely new school from those days. Heck, the school actually picked up and moved 50 miles from it's old WV Tech location! They appear to be very stable now at 1,500+ students. Previous president talked about starting football back a couple of years ago but don't know if that is still the plan.

Comment

Now WVU Tech? A real case can be made for them. Yes they were circling the drain in the past but they are now effectively a completely new school from those days. Heck, the school actually picked up and moved 50 miles from it's old WV Tech location! They appear to be very stable now at 1,500+ students. Previous president talked about starting football back a couple of years ago but don't know if that is still the plan.
                It's been 2 years (and one week) since WV Tech announced they were bringing back football. Since then... nothing. No announcements whatsoever as far as I can tell. No head coach, no progress on a field, not even a club team. Granted, I'm not close to WV Tech, nor am I from WV, so maybe they're making moves in silence, but it doesn't look good from what I see. I think they'd be a great add myself too, personally, but the MEC already had to deal with one school dragging their feet for years and years on adding football, and seeing as you guys are down 2 football members now with a third having one foot out the door, I don't know if I'd turn to the Golden Bears first.

Comment

Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

It's been 2 years (and one week) since WV Tech announced they were bringing back football. Since then... nothing. No announcements whatsoever as far as I can tell. No head coach, no progress on a field, not even a club team. Granted, I'm not close to WV Tech, nor am I from WV, so maybe they're making moves in silence, but it doesn't look good from what I see. I think they'd be a great add myself too, personally, but the MEC already had to deal with one school dragging their feet for years and years on adding football, and seeing as you guys are down 2 football members now with a third having one foot out the door, I don't know if I'd turn to the Golden Bears first.
                  Well...The "must play core sports" requirement has clearly been ignored in the case of D&E and Point so hey, the more the merrier!!

The WVU Tech football thing was more than a minute ago and was by the previous President so who knows were or even if it is still a thing.

At the end of the day, I think the best move for the MEC and the GMAC is to merge...jettison the weak failing schools and move forward as the Great Mountain East Conference or maybe the Midwest Mountain Athletic Conference (MMAC).

Comment

My picks for the MEC are Salisbury, Pikeville (both have long been favorites on this forum), Shenandoah (a few mentions here), and Mary Washington (although non-fb). All these schools help the MEC sports with low numbers including bringing Men's Lacrosse in-house. Shenandoah and Mary Washington along with Frostburg State bring the conference closer to Salisbury.

Comment

Total spit balling here but I wonder if Point Park trying to make the jump would motivate any other of the PA D3 programs. There are a ton of them and most all play football (unlike Point Park).

Recall 20 years ago Westminster made the jump but quickly went back down. The Presidents' Athletic Conference has some good geographic fits (Washington & Jefferson). However, luring one of them out won't be easy.

In Pittsburgh the ideal target would be Carnegie Mellon (which does have football).

Granted, if any of these schools did want to jump obviously their first choice would be to stay in PA and join the more football stable PSAC. But, you never know.

Comment

The Allegheny mountains athletic conference has no football -
                        https://www.amccsports.org/landing/index

Comment

Total spit balling here but I wonder if Point Park trying to make the jump would motivate any other of the PA D3 programs. There are a ton of them and most all play football (unlike Point Park).

Recall 20 years ago Westminster made the jump but quickly went back down. The Presidents' Athletic Conference has some good geographic fits (Washington & Jefferson). However, luring one of them out won't be easy.

In Pittsburgh the ideal target would be Carnegie Mellon (which does have football).

Granted, if any of these schools did want to jump obviously their first choice would be to stay in PA and join the more football stable PSAC. But, you never know.
                          I think CMU would rather merge with Pitt than make the move to D2. Despite the University Athletic Association - which is basically the "D3 Ivy League" academically - spread out with members in St Louis, Chicago, Rochester, NY, New York City, suburban Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, I highly doubt D2 is even on the horizon at CMU.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I think CMU would rather merge with Pitt than make the move to D2. Despite the University Athletic Association - which is basically the "D3 Ivy League" academically - spread out with members in St Louis, Chicago, Rochester, NY, New York City, suburban Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, I highly doubt D2 is even on the horizon at CMU.
                            I knew it was a reach. Needless to say CMU wouldn't really fit in academically lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Remember, too, Carnegie Mellon people all look at Pitt as if it's a community college lol.

Comment

I was very surprised when D and E was admitted without any plans to add football. I keep thinking what do they bring to the conference? It seems like they are average at best in most sports. Plus didn’t wheeling have to add football to join, if so why not D and E too?

as for the psac, I would love to see Westminster and W and J added. I think they would be great additions to the conference. I didn’t know Westminster went d2, how long and why did they drop back down?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X