Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame College Update

Well, the widely public date of Feb. 15 concerning the future of Notre Dame College is here.

Anyone heard anything new? Only thing I have seen was from yesterday essentially saying "no updates but we'll see."

https://signalcleveland.org/notre-da...on-its-future/

Nope. Crickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
      Well, the widely public date of Feb. 15 concerning the future of Notre Dame College is here.

Anyone heard anything new? Only thing I have seen was from yesterday essentially saying "no updates but we'll see."

https://signalcleveland.org/notre-da...on-its-future/
      I just came here to post the same article. Very curious as to what will happen...

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I just came here to post the same article. Very curious as to what will happen...
        Ya, I don't think this means they will suddenly survive, but could point to some 11th hour merger or buyout situation developing. Total speculation on my part there.

Comment

Ya, I don't think this means they will suddenly survive, but could point to some 11th hour merger or buyout situation developing. Total speculation on my part there.
          From the article:

Bloomberg (Cleveland State President) seemed to push back most at the perceived speed of a potential timetable.

“If we were going to be this close to a merger or an acquisition, like the media would have us think, we’d be having different kinds of conversations with you,”

Later in the same article:

“But I can tell you that it’s not like ‘wait for an announcement tomorrow’ that we’re going to be merging or something like that,” she said.

Another nugget from the same article:

Bloombers said "this might not be the only situation where the institution (Cleveland State) could be talking with a small private college in this area that might be struggling, or thinking about closing, or thinking about whether they can be acquired.”

Sooooo...What other "small private college in this area" is Cleveland State talking about acquiring???
          Last edited by boatcapt; 02-19-2024, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

From the article:

Bloomberg (Cleveland State President) seemed to push back most at the perceived speed of a potential timetable.

“If we were going to be this close to a merger or an acquisition, like the media would have us think, we’d be having different kinds of conversations with you,”

Later in the same article:

“But I can tell you that it’s not like ‘wait for an announcement tomorrow’ that we’re going to be merging or something like that,” she said.

Another nugget from the same article:

Bloombers said "this might not be the only situation where the institution (Cleveland State) could be talking with a small private college in this area that might be struggling, or thinking about closing, or thinking about whether they can be acquired.”

Sooooo...What other "small private college in this area" is Cleveland State talking about acquiring???
            Lake Erie, Division III Baldwin Wallace, and Lakeland Community College are all in that area and have been reported for finiancial issues in the last year or so

Comment

Officially closing

Comment

Saw that on Cleveland.com. Very sad

Looks like Walsh Univ reached out and offered immediate transfer for current NSC students.

Comment

Hate to see it. My heart is with the students and faculty today.

Comment

Article covering the Story locally in Cleveland:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...c-529621b4c29b

Certainly puts a lot of people in tough spots (students, staff, etc), but all too common these days it seems.

Comment

Article covering the Story locally in Cleveland:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...c-529621b4c29b

Certainly puts a lot of people in tough spots (students, staff, etc), but all too common these days it seems.
                      Could be worse (think of the AB athletes last summer).

These players at least get to enter the Portal on March 1. Plenty of time to find a new home.

I think they'll see leaving South Euclid isn't the end of the world. One door closes ...

Comment

Terrible situation for all. I wonder what the MEC does moving forward.

Comment

Guess they aren't going to the GMAC.

Comment

I hate to hear this for the students, faculty and staff at NDC. The MEC should just roll with what they have left schedule a couple OOC games each moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
                              I hate to hear this for the students, faculty and staff at NDC. The MEC should just roll with what they have left schedule a couple OOC games each moving forward.
                              Generally, I agree. A person, school or in this case a conference shouldn't jump into a decision immediately after a traumatic situation. But, unfortunately, the MEC has left themselves in a situation were they need to act rather quickly. That said, there is no need to act tomorrow or next week (or even next month). They do have at least a few months to add one football playing school as a replacement for AB. After that, they can act more deliberately in adding a second (NDC Replacement) and third football school (UNCP Replacement).

While I'm sad to see NDC go, it does open up a number of possible schools that might have been driven off (pun intended) by the distance to NDC. Schools in eastern KY, VA and even Eastern MD might be more interested when not facing a 500'ish mile trek to the southwestern shore of Lake Erie. Some schools that I would call/recall:

Salisbury University MD - Always rumored to be a "package deal" with Frostburg until the later joined the MEC. Are part of somthing called the Coast-to-Coast Conference which as near as I can tell is kind of a D3 holding conference that doesn't have regular season conference play. Does not having NDC and the 500 mile one way drive to it move the needle?

Univ of Pikeville KY - Talked about many times here about. In short, solid NAIA school with solid athletics (inc football) and close to the southern members of the MEC. Again, does the absence of the long trek to NDC tip the scale?

Those are just a couple of examples of schools that have been talked about here that might make a different decision now that NDC is not part of the driving equation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X