Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm a firm believer for my kids that if they aren't taking a specialized major ... they aren't going.

I can't tell you how many worthless degrees many of my friends have and are still paying for them.

Comment

• Comment

• Re: SSHE Enrollments Down Again

I agree with those of you saying the degree must be useful immeadiately. Maybe that is where the PSAC heads. Only offer degrees where your job is locked up by March of your graduation year. Eliminate majors with very little use in the marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          PSU-California does have a ring to it. Inheriting the existing campus under the PSU brand .... BIG potential.
          So does Pitt-Indiana!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            So does Pitt-Indiana!
            That will happen the same day Cal leaves for the MEC.

Comment

So does Pitt-Indiana!
              Wishful thinking.

I like the sound of WVU-West Liberty.

Comment

So does Pitt-Indiana!
                If the state would simply allow the state system to operate under the same rules as Pitt or PSU for things like purchasing and maintenance, it would go a long way to fixing some of the problems.

Comment

I have always said that the problems facing the state system today were born when the state system was created in 1983.

They should have never elevated 13 achools to university status that were not ready to be called Universities.

IUP had to go through a process to achieve university status in 1965.

IUP had a special status for a long time and the fact that the state allowed that to erode is what really has hurt it today.

In 1983, the state should have looked at the 13 high schools they owned and decided which 5 they should have targeted to go down the same road IUP did. There should have been 2 schools in the west, 2 in the central and 2 in the east that should be operating as major universities in a state system. Then they should have told Penn State, Pitt, Temple and Lincoln to either join the system along with the 6 or you are on your own. No state money for you. That would have nipped the out of control Penn State and Pitt branch campus problem. Then the 6 would be funded by the state on the levels they fund the the current state related schools.

In the West I would have added Edinboro to go along with IUP.

In the Central I would have elevated up Bloomsburg and Shippensburg.

In the East, I would have elevated up West Chester and East Stroudsburg.

They would be in the same regions of the state but far enough from each other so they aren't totally overlapping.

Then the remaining schools would have been kept what they were...small state colleges with their purpose of educating students at a lower cost and without having to offer so many degree programs.

Right now we have 14 schools competing against one another. Really it should be only 6. The mistake made was trying to make them all on the same level. All that did was drag down IUP (big surprise) and put too much pressure on the smaller schools like Mansfield, Lock Haven and Cheyney to compete when they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                    If the state would simply allow the state system to operate under the same rules as Pitt or PSU for things like purchasing and maintenance, it would go a long way to fixing some of the problems.
                    Actually, the state needs to stop Pitt or PSU from overlapping the mission of PASSHE.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                      I have always said that the problems facing the state system today were born when the state system was created in 1983.

They should have never elevated 13 achools to university status that were not ready to be called Universities.

IUP had a special status for a long time and the fact that the state allowed that to erode is what really has hurt it today.

In 1983, the state should have looked at the 13 high schools they owned and decided which 5 they should have targeted to go down the same road IUP did. There should have been 2 schools in the west, 2 in the central and 2 in the east that should be operating as major universities in a state system. Then they should have told Penn State, Pitt, Temple and Lincoln to either join the system along with the 6 or you are on your own. No state money for you. That would have nipped the out of control Penn State and Pitt branch campus problem. Then the 6 would be funded by the state on the levels they fund the the current state related schools.

They would be in the same regions of the state but far enough from each other so they aren't totally overlapping.

Then the remaining schools would have been kept what they were...small state colleges with their purpose of educating students at a lower cost and without having to offer so many degree programs.

Right now we have 14 schools competing against one another. Really it should be only 6. The mistake made was trying to make them all on the same level. All that did was drag down IUP (big surprise) and put too much pressure on the smaller schools like Mansfield, Lock Haven and Cheyney to compete when they can't.
                      IUP absolutely lost in the PASSHE deal. Only because I know the details I'd argue Edinboro lost as well. In the late 70s Edinboro had active proposals in Harrisburg for an MBA, medical school, and law school.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        Actually, the state needs to stop Pitt or PSU from overlapping the mission of PASSHE.

I agree ... but, good luck with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          IUP absolutely lost in the PASSHE deal. Only because I know the details I'd argue Edinboro lost as well. In the late 70s Edinboro had active proposals in Harrisburg for an MBA, medical school, and law school.
                          And that's where this stuff gets very political. Larger and/or more prestigious schools that already offer those majors pressure their lawmakers to not permit PASSHE institutions to also offer those degrees since it would be lower cost competition to them. Valid argument from them. But it stunts and frustrates any PASSHE school that wishes to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                            And that's where this stuff gets very political. Larger and/or more prestigious schools that already offer those majors pressure their lawmakers to not permit PASSHE institutions to also offer those degrees since it would be lower cost competition to them. Valid argument from them. But it stunts and frustrates any PASSHE school that wishes to grow.
                            Plus the private schools have organized and lobby the legislature. They get funding for projects too. The state gave RMU $5 million for their basketball arena because they sold it as a conference center for the Pittsburgh airport corridor. Sounds a lot like how IUP sold financing for their arena. RMU even hired the same company to manage events.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

That's all true but it is a IUP perspective on things. It could have worked out better for IUP if the state would have supported its growth towards being a bona fide national university/research institution. It hasn't. At least not enough. In not doing so, the state was self-limiting. It could have/should have become an important educational option in PA. I remember those days quite well, since I was in school then. IUP faced a completely uncertain future as a state-related school - or join PASSHE. I do think it would have worked out better as state-related but we will never know.

Comment

• SSHE Enrollments Down Again

The new Chancellor of the system will be at IUP on Friday 10/26, for a Town Hall open forum in the PNC Room at the KCAC, from 1:30 to 2:45, if you want to give him the business. Tell him IUP gets top priority for everything!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X