Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruiting 2019

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    For the record, the kid had offers from *Alabama*, Committed Aug 2 Bucknell, RMU, Notre Dame college, New Hampshire, Duquesne, St Francis, Va Tech, Sacred Heart, USC, Notre Dame
    Legit (scholarship) offers from USC and (real) Notre Dame or PWO? That's a very unique list.

The NEC and college football royalty rarely offer the same kids.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Legit (scholarship) offers from USC and (real) Notre Dame or PWO? That's a very unique list.

The NEC and college football royalty rarely offer the same kids.
      I don't know. The Alabama offer was PWO.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        Dino Tomlin, son of Mike Tomlin, has just committed to Maryland. He ought to be committed.

The younger Tomlin is a three-star WR at Shady Side Academy.

-
        His uncle played at Maryland.

Comment

Being a PWO at Alabama would be a pretty great experience, but out of state total cost of attendance is $46k. Is being on the Alabama football team a $184,000 experience? I don't know.

One thing I'm interested in is the propensity of football walk-ons to redshirt. They're already paying full freight then choosing to extend their stay in hopes of playing time. Does that decision benefit them 5-10 years down the line?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Being a PWO at Alabama would be a pretty great experience, but out of state total cost of attendance is $46k. Is being on the Alabama football team a $184,000 experience? I don't know.

One thing I'm interested in is the propensity of football walk-ons to redshirt. They're already paying full freight then choosing to extend their stay in hopes of playing time. Does that decision benefit them 5-10 years down the line?
            We assume all kids come from poor families. They don't. Maybe the tuition is of no concern to his family. Tuscaloosa is a tremendous place. It's Alabama. No offense to schools in the north but the ladies down there are on a different planet. The weather is better. PWO is a long shot but it's better odds than Johnny Intramural. Some just want the notoriety of saying they are on the team.

Comment

Redshirt doesn't mean that you HAVE to extend their stay. jus sayin

Comment

We assume all kids come from poor families. They don't. Maybe the tuition is of no concern to his family. Tuscaloosa is a tremendous place. It's Alabama. No offense to schools in the north but the ladies down there are on a different planet. The weather is better. PWO is a long shot but it's better odds than Johnny Intramural. Some just want the notoriety of saying they are on the team.
                Fair points. Long shot to do a lot. Obviously the chances of making it to the NFL as a PWO at Alabama are significantly greater than making it to the NFL as a scholarship player at Bucknell. I guess I'm at that age when hindsight kicks in and you regret the illogical decisions you made in your youth.

Comment

Fair points. Long shot to do a lot. Obviously the chances of making it to the NFL as a PWO at Alabama are significantly greater than making it to the NFL as a scholarship player at Bucknell. I guess I'm at that age when hindsight kicks in and you regret the illogical decisions you made in your youth.
                  Me too.

Comment

Not sure the NFL chance thing is true - both are pretty low odds. I found this article though, chances of making it as a PWO are around 10% - I suppose if its your lifelong dream, but if playing for a specific college football team is part of a lifelong dream, well, may want to re-examine . . . just sayin. Then again, I keep playing the lottery, even knowing the odds.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...chool-hopefuls

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                      Not sure the NFL chance thing is true - both are pretty low odds. I found this article though, chances of making it as a PWO are around 10% - I suppose if its your lifelong dream, but if playing for a specific college football team is part of a lifelong dream, well, may want to re-examine . . . just sayin. Then again, I keep playing the lottery, even knowing the odds.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...chool-hopefuls
                      Alabama is Alabama. Five-stars get buried on the depth chart.

The kid I always think of is the WR from Pittsburgh (Robert Foster). He was in the same senior class as Tyler Boyd (and was ranked higher).

Boyd quickly became a star at Pitt and (I believe) a 2nd round pick of the Bungals. Foster went to Bama along with about 9 other 5-star WRs and rarely saw the field in 5 years down there. He went undrafted.

Say what you will about Pitt but it puts some serious players in to the NFL -- including the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Aaron Donald, Larry Fitzgerald, Shady McCoy, Darelle Revis, Curtis Martin, Dion Lewis, James Connor ... big stars.

Comment

Will pay half that, Southern Schools give a ton of money to Northern kids, known fact, bit over 20K at the most.....

Comment

Hollenbach's Rivals recruit page reads like an SEC schedule

Comment

Originally posted by RockinTheSnackBar View Post
                            Hollenbach's Rivals recruit page reads like an SEC schedule
                            There is still a long way to go before signing day. Verbals are meaningless. That's when the true sharks come out.

Comment

Alabama is Alabama. Five-stars get buried on the depth chart.

The kid I always think of is the WR from Pittsburgh (Robert Foster). He was in the same senior class as Tyler Boyd (and was ranked higher).

Boyd quickly became a star at Pitt and (I believe) a 2nd round pick of the Bungals. Foster went to Bama along with about 9 other 5-star WRs and rarely saw the field in 5 years down there. He went undrafted.

Say what you will about Pitt but it puts some serious players in to the NFL -- including the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Aaron Donald, Larry Fitzgerald, Shady McCoy, Darelle Revis, Curtis Martin, Dion Lewis, James Connor ... big stars.
                              Larry Fitzgerald now does commercials for the University of Phoenix where he received his degree.

https://www.phoenix.edu/partners/larry-fitzgerald.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                                Larry Fitzgerald now does commercials for the University of Phoenix where he received his degree.

https://www.phoenix.edu/partners/larry-fitzgerald.html
                                Yeah ... and Pitt made him a millionaire.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X