X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruiting 2019

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
    Shippensburg offered:

Aaron Tutino (WR) PA record holder for most Receiving TDs (regardless of classification) but is set to sign letter of intent to play at St. Francis(Pa)- FCS
    Great player locally. I suppose one can say that he never saw the elephant of big-time competition like big school DBs who can run 4.4 and hit like a Mack truck. He seemed a bit on the lite side of things. But I'm sure he will be a good player if he finds the right fit for himself. I myself have a difficult time envisoning him making the jump to PSAC competition. I wonder how his former LV receiving mate Jackson Daugherty did at Cal this year? It's a big step up from the world of D-6 to the PSAC I would imagine.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Great player locally. I suppose one can say that he never saw the elephant of big-time competition like big school DBs who can run 4.4 and hit like a Mack truck. He seemed a bit on the lite side of things. But I'm sure he will be a good player if he finds the right fit for himself. I myself have a difficult time envisoning him making the jump to PSAC competition. I wonder how his former LV receiving mate Jackson Daugherty did at Cal this year? It's a big step up from the world of D-6 to the PSAC I would imagine.

-
      I'm pretty sure he was redshirted.

Comment

-
        I do not know about that, in smaller higher classifications you have to dominate, he certainty did. It is a humongous step from D6 to FBS, see Colin Smith. The step to D2 is much smaller, but again you just can't be a Ken Lantzy all-star; you must be above that, Tutino will be a three time first team all state.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
          Based on what I see my nephew has at Pitt in terms of the best of everything including a living allowance, going from FBS to D2 is like going from living in the penthouse to the outhouse. Even dropping to a top FCS program is a huge step down.
          That living allowance is only for scholarship players so PWO's and regular walk on players only get the jersey's and ocassional ST or 4th quarter blow out playing time at home as the traveling squads are predominately scholarship players. I agree with you that there is a drastic drop down from FBS to D2 in terms of facilities, resources (academic and athletically) and support from the student body.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
            That living allowance is only for scholarship players so PWO's and regular walk on players only get the jersey's and ocassional ST or 4th quarter blow out playing time at home as the traveling squads are predominately scholarship players. I agree with you that there is a drastic drop down from FBS to D2 in terms of facilities, resources (academic and athletically) and support from the student body.

I can't tell you how many kids I've known and seen over the years who have elected to take the walk-on route at a Pitt or WVU (or similar) rather than play at a D2 school. It's way more than most people realize. A lot of it is an ego thing. They want to say they play for WVU or Penn State and, as was mentioned above, be able to say they were on the team. Some get pushed to take this path by their parents.

Many connections are made by taking this route (long term). A lot of them drink the Kool-Aid and believe they are close to cracking the travel squad. And, some do. But, very few.

Some would rather 'dress' for 4 years worth of home games in State College than 'play' for four years at IUP or Slippery Rock. Those are true 'fringe' players -- not quite good enough for the big stage but think they are above the bus leagues.

I'd think you could make a living in D2 recruiting disgruntled 'preferred' walk-ons. I played in high school with two guys who did this at Pitt. Both could have been very strong players at IUP or anywhere in the PSAC. One of them did play special teams at Pitt as a junior and senior so he did letter both years.

Each his own.

As for the St. Francis types ... if you want to spend four years in Loretto ... feel free.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              I can't tell you how many kids I've known and seen over the years who have elected to take the walk-on route at a Pitt or WVU (or similar) rather than play at a D2 school. It's way more than most people realize. A lot of it is an ego thing. They want to say they play for WVU or Penn State and, as was mentioned above, be able to say they were on the team. Some get pushed to take this path by their parents.

Many connections are made by taking this route (long term). A lot of them drink the Kool-Aid and believe they are close to cracking the travel squad. And, some do. But, very few.

Some would rather 'dress' for 4 years worth of home games in State College than 'play' for four years at IUP or Slippery Rock. Those are true 'fringe' players -- not quite good enough for the big stage but think they are above the bus leagues.
              All about the tunnel

Comment

Originally posted by RockinTheSnackBar View Post
                All about the tunnel

Comment

Totally Agree :good:

Comment

After Lenny got done smoking you I bet you wished you were at a D3! :laugh:

-

Comment

Cody Ross, FB/LB Freedom 5-11, 210 to Slippery Rock

Comment

Pitt got a 4-star QB and a 4-star RB officially signed this morning.

We aren't used to 8 stars in two signings.

Comment

After Lenny got done smoking you I bet you wished you were at a D3! :laugh:

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            I don't think there is a right or wrong way to go for players like this. Everybody is different and has to make their own decisions. Maybe if your playing time in college is paramount to you and you place it above all else then, sure, go play for a PSAC school and score a couple TD's in front of a couple thousand fans. Sitting on the bench on the sidelines in front of 110,000 people works better for others.

For many guys there is a bigger picture than just getting on the field. Don't get me wrong, I love our PSAC schools, but Penn State is a Big 10 school. If you want to go to a Big 10 school rather than Slippery Rock or Kutztown then you are likely to go to PSU. Playing college football for some is all about the football part. For others, it's a broader thing and the 'college' part is more meaningful. For example, I cited my cousin earlier who chose to be a backup at Penn State. Today, he has a Ph.D and is a college professor. Yes, he played football in college but it wasn't everything to him. Likewise, the only other person I know well who played big time football for Penn State was a second-teamer but today he is a dentist. They don't sit around and talk about that big game at Edinboro during a blizzard. Jus' sayin'.

Comment

well you're asking a HS senior to think more than 2 days ahead. The rush is a powerful thing. I'm sure there is some regret when it wears off

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                                I think he had offers from RMU and Bucknell. Those were from last year so maybe he has more. I read somewhere that going to Alabama was his life long dream. I don't see a difference if that's what you want to do. Have a meaningless career at Bloom or be a lifelong backup at Alabama and get all the experiences that come with that. The contacts that come with that. You can have Nick Saban on your resume. Whats being all Psac (if even) gonna do for him over holding a clipboard at Alabama. Other than not playing the experience would be much more exciting at Bama.
                                I would rather have Bucknell degree and connections/network then Alabama's unless I planned on staying in Alabama after college. If I was thinking NYC/Boston//LA/SF/Chicago/ Philly/DC/ETC having Bucknell on a resume is more impressive than Nick Saban name to most hiring managers who probably do not follow college football. The only reason why someone should go to Alabama over Bucknell if they are from PA is if they are a highly rated recruit. Being a PWO does not fit that bill. I am not one of those college snobs either. I actually think people make too much of a deal on the schools prestige, but the one thing that good schools have are networks that help their own. In the major cities of our country Bucknells is superior to Bama outside of the south.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X