Mike Dorundo, C/DT Pine-Richland, 6-2, 255 offered

Lock Haven

DeShaun Sanders, RB, Hopewell, 5-9, 195 offered

Edinboro

Tanner Wells, DE/OT Brentwood, 6-3, 245 offered

Comment

Re: Recruiting 2019

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Alabama is Alabama. Five-stars get buried on the depth chart.

The kid I always think of is the WR from Pittsburgh (Robert Foster). He was in the same senior class as Tyler Boyd (and was ranked higher).

Boyd quickly became a star at Pitt and (I believe) a 2nd round pick of the Bungals. Foster went to Bama along with about 9 other 5-star WRs and rarely saw the field in 5 years down there. He went undrafted.

Say what you will about Pitt but it puts some serious players in to the NFL -- including the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Aaron Donald, Larry Fitzgerald, Shady McCoy, Darelle Revis, Curtis Martin, Dion Lewis, James Connor ... big stars.
      Great Point, I do think sometimes, while you can call it "cowardice" I would rather produce film on the field at a program that gets 1-3 star recruits. I would choose D-1 over D2, but I would not set myself up to go against a pseudo NFL team chalk full of guys, like the NFL, that can replace you at any moment. In addition to Boyd, I think with Robert Foster I look at his team mate Jordan whitehead. Set himself up with more game film, even despite some off field stuff keeping him off field he did not have as much danger running in to the "Wally Pipp" situation. Foster did see time for a minute, was injured and lapped. He got a low grade FA offer I think. Whitehead in the rounds which has given him a greater chance to start. I think he does for the Bucs .

Comment

The kid I always think of is the WR from Pittsburgh (Robert Foster). He was in the same senior class as Tyler Boyd (and was ranked higher).

Boyd quickly became a star at Pitt and (I believe) a 2nd round pick of the Bungals. Foster went to Bama along with about 9 other 5-star WRs and rarely saw the field in 5 years down there. He went undrafted.

Say what you will about Pitt but it puts some serious players in to the NFL -- including the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Aaron Donald, Larry Fitzgerald, Shady McCoy, Darelle Revis, Curtis Martin, Dion Lewis, James Connor ... big stars.
        I have to agree with you on that. Go where you can seriously develop and play. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
          I have to agree with you on that. Go where you can seriously develop and play. Just sayin.
          Or you could go to the school that you want to go to for the reason that schools exist ...... either/or. jus sayin

Comment

I have fully agree that IUPBigIndians made an excellent point here with the Tyler Boyd and Robert Foster comparison. One thrived and one saw his career and NFL hopes pretty much sink like a rock. Foster did sign as FA but I don't think he stuck. Boyd was a second round pick of the Bengals. Teams discard FAs without care. They rarely do that with high draft picks. Meaning=you get much more of an opportunity and time to develop your game.

A few names from Lackwanna College (Jr. college) that PSAC fans may want to keep an eye on are former Jeanette QB/DB Robert Kennedy and former Ligonier Valley QB Collin Smith.

Kennedy projects as a DB and has seen some action this year and has 14 tackles and one INT.

Smith, who was a DB recruit at WVU after high school, projects as a QB. He has not played that much this season. He threw 42 TD passes as a senior in high school and took his team to the state semifinals. I thought that he projected as a D-II QB the whole time. Not exactly sure what the Mountaineers were doing in thinking that a kid from the rural and tiny Heritage Conference could cover Big 12 WRs?

Thanks to IUPBigIndians for informing me on Smith's current whereabouts.

-

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Being a PWO at Alabama would be a pretty great experience, but out of state total cost of attendance is $46k. Is being on the Alabama football team a $184,000 experience? I don't know.

One thing I'm interested in is the propensity of football walk-ons to redshirt. They're already paying full freight then choosing to extend their stay in hopes of playing time. Does that decision benefit them 5-10 years down the line?

Comment

Bama has more money tha God -- on the books and off.

Comment

Another factor here is its not just go to Bama and sit or go d2 and be an all American. He could go to a PSAC school or RMU and get beat out or not have a great career. Stockett at IUP.....Tomko at the boro is a 6-5 athletic guy...that got benched a few weeks back. You can still go d2 thinking youre gonna "tear it up" and not be happy. How many D1 guys transfer down and still aren't great here.

Also, as far as why you go to college. I have a buddy that played for Tressell at YSU. By the time Tressell was at Ohio st, my friend was applying for jobs with Jim Tressell as a reference. When he got an interview the guy interviewing him couldn't believe Tressell was actually on his resume and called him right on the spot. Tressell told the guy he would be crazy not to hire him....and my friend was hired. Nick Saban who might go down as the top college coach of all time would look pretty good on a resume.. on top of played football at Bama...on top of the coaches and players that you would have as contacts/references.

The Foster and Boyd debate... their are numerous 4 and 5 star guys that you never heard of. I can look at a 20 year old college magazine with a recruiting section in it and the top 100 list of recruits has many you never heard of. It could be partly they got into bad situations but its also many are overrated and cant adjust when other guys can match up physically all the sudden.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure what the main point is here but as far as being buried on the depth chart at a top D1 program there are a few thousand great athletes who do it every year. Being part of the program is worth it for them even if they don't see the field. Reminds me of a cousin of mine who starred as a freshman in DIII and then transferred to the big time at Penn State. He was a walk-on at first but made the team and eventually earned a scholarship, was as high as 2nd on the depth chart but most of the time 3rd team, played in several games and went to a couple bowl games. He would never trade that experience even to be an AA at a lower level. It's part of him forever. When they write his obituary it will say he played football for PSU.

Comment

Almost that time to get the recruits drunk, high and out of line!!

Comment

With the new early signing period I think we'll see more complete classes on the February signing day here in D2 football as the FCS/FBS scholarships will all have been given out for the most part during the early signing period except for a handful and kids will know earlier if they have the D1 offer or if they will have to take the D2 route. With that new D1 football redshirt rule I suspect fewer kids will transfer down from FCS as after 4 games they can simply use that year as a redshirt and transfer elsewhere in time to be eligible for the next year.

As for Shippensburg whom I follow and root for I would love for us to replenish the front 7 which takes some huge losses as well as get a few JUCO/D1 DB transfers. Offensively we should be stout with our QB returning as well as us establishing a respectable running game the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                            With the new early signing period I think we'll see more complete classes on the February signing day here in D2 football as the FCS/FBS scholarships will all have been given out for the most part during the early signing period except for a handful and kids will know earlier if they have the D1 offer or if they will have to take the D2 route. With that new D1 football redshirt rule I suspect fewer kids will transfer down from FCS as after 4 games they can simply use that year as a redshirt and transfer elsewhere in time to be eligible for the next year.

As for Shippensburg whom I follow and root for I would love for us to replenish the front 7 which takes some huge losses as well as get a few JUCO/D1 DB transfers. Offensively we should be stout with our QB returning as well as us establishing a respectable running game the end of the year.
                            Think I'm counting four O-linemen leaving. That's a big concern. Because the backs he has aren't going to create yardage themselves. Honestly, I think Yocum might have been their most effective runner.

Comment

Shippensburg offered:

Aaron Tutino (WR) PA record holder for most Receiving TDs (regardless of classification) but is set to sign letter of intent to play at St. Francis(Pa)- FCS

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                                ... Being part of the program is worth it for them even if they don't see the field....
                                Based on what I see my nephew has at Pitt in terms of the best of everything including a living allowance, going from FBS to D2 is like going from living in the penthouse to the outhouse. Even dropping to a top FCS program is a huge step down.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X