Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back

With Shepherd about to join the PSAC ... made me curious to look back.

Now that a good amount of time has passed how does this message board collection of scholars feel about the PSAC adding Gannon, Mercyhurst, UPJ and Seton Hill?

Was it a good move thus far? Bad move?

The Erie schools were good. One of them just needs to learn how to behave.

UPJ would be better if they had foosball.

The Stewies are a warm body in foosball.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Re: Looking back

I think Gannon, Mercyhurst, and UPJ were positive additions.

Comment

Well, the suspected apocalypse of fully-funded teams coming into the PSAC and kicking the crap out of the other underfunded teams never materialized, so I'd say it was a good move. (To be fair - if the apocalyptic scenario had happened, I'd have said it was good in that it would have forced other programs to step up their game.) It was certainly a good move for the schools that joined given travel budgets.

I'd be interested in hearing how the long time Lock Haven and Shippensburg fellows feel, since that was what precipitated their move to the East. (Edit edit: I think? My memory on that may be foggy.)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              With Shepherd about to join the PSAC ... made me curious to look back.

Now that a good amount of time has passed how does this message board collection of scholars feel about the PSAC adding Gannon, Mercyhurst, UPJ and Seton Hill?

Was it a good move thus far? Bad move?
              I thought it good. The more the merrier! Glad that Shepherd is coming aboard as well.

-

Comment

The PSAC commissioner is a grad of Gannon . He was instrumental for bringing the Erie teams in. I think it was a good move . But his expectations for success in football fell short.

Comment

Football-wise, the Erie schools have, by and large, been average. Seton Hill pulled a couple big upsets but has become pure dumpster-fire.

In regard to men's basketball, Gannon and Mercyhurst gave the West a big upgrade. UPJ is a consistently 'decent' team. Seton Hill has shown flashes but has been under the .500 mark for the past 5 years.

Gannon had a powerhouse going in women's basketball but found a way for that to tank. Mercyhurst, UPJ and Seton Hill have all been OK in women's basketball ... some good seasons and some not so good.

Outside of the 'revenue sports' ... Seton Hill is becoming a major baseball power. UPJ has a very strong wrestling program. Not sure about the other sports.

Comment

Seton Hill I kind of agree. Mercyhurst and Gannon have good enough programs where the geographic fits made them better choices, though. The GMAC may end up being a better and more sustainable spot for ODU and Findlay (and potentially NDC in the future) anyway.

Comment

But you're saying that as a Homer since you are from Ohio. :laugh:

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                        But you're saying that as a Homer since you are from Ohio. :laugh:

-
                        Just better football and better athletes from the state of Ohio lol

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Football-wise, the Erie schools have, by and large, been average. Seton Hill pulled a couple big upsets but has become pure dumpster-fire.

In regard to men's basketball, Gannon and Mercyhurst gave the West a big upgrade. UPJ is a consistently 'decent' team. Seton Hill has shown flashes but has been under the .500 mark for the past 5 years.

Gannon had a powerhouse going in women's basketball but found a way for that to tank. Mercyhurst, UPJ and Seton Hill have all been OK in women's basketball ... some good seasons and some not so good.

Outside of the 'revenue sports' ... Seton Hill is becoming a major baseball power. UPJ has a very strong wrestling program. Not sure about the other sports.
                          Here's somne interesting data. From this I'd say Gannon and Hurst have been good, SHU and UPJ, not so much. https://static.psacsports.org/custom..._Champions.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeinthesky1889 View Post
                            Well, the suspected apocalypse of fully-funded teams coming into the PSAC and kicking the crap out of the other underfunded teams never materialized, so I'd say it was a good move. (To be fair - if the apocalyptic scenario had happened, I'd have said it was good in that it would have forced other programs to step up their game.) It was certainly a good move for the schools that joined given travel budgets.

I'd be interested in hearing how the long time Lock Haven and Shippensburg fellows feel, since that was what precipitated their move to the East. (Edit edit: I think? My memory on that may be foggy.)
                            No, you had that right.

I don't think we added much in football prestige at all with the addition of those four programs. But again, football is not the only thing that moves the needle. Mercyhurst and Seton Hill make this a much stronger baseball conference. UPJ helps the wrestling footprint, although as much as it pains to say it, I feel like they're a D-III athletic program masquerading as a D-II.

I like the addition of Shepherd, from a competition standpoint, more than any of the others.
                            Last edited by jrshooter; 11-14-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X