Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    Honestly, Crimson Hawks is kind of a cool nickname, way more unique than a generic "Indians". Especially when the town's name itself is Indiana. Whether the cause behind the change is justified or not is open to questioning, but I think the nickname is an upgrade, all things considered.

EDIT: Similarly, I have no issues with ESU changing its imagery from being Indian-style warriors to more of a Greco-Roman-style warrior. It's a generic nickname, but they did something interesting with it.
    C'HAWKS is a good image but too long in this age of 280 characters

Comment

Re SHU: They are officially THE GRIFFONS hence FAMILY GUY and THE STEWIES. Love this variation
      It wasn't mentioned but my VULCANS are frequently (by IUP fans) called the SPOCKS for hopefully obvious reasons. More interesting evolution is the CAL U introduction. Students at both CAL U and IUP (probably SRU as well) have been met with the question "CAL WHO?" (or INDIANA WHO) when they mentioned that they attended or graduated from one of these unusually named PA schools. ANGELO ARMENTI in one of the more intelligent decisions of his tenure decided to make a positive from an apparent negative. He started the CAL WHO..CAL U cheer during the 2004 run to the WBB NC. It has become popular enough that recently the school pretty much has pushed to change the public perception from CAL(PA) UNIVERSITY to simply CAL U. During the 2015 WBB NC game not only did the national broadcasting team largely use ONLY that name, but you could easily hear the cheering of the VULCANS contingent in Sioux Falls. I've noticed that more and more news outlets are picking up on it which will ultimately help build a distinct identity for the school.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I think for all the schools it sucked, including IUP. However, the biggest tragedy over the name change had to be North Dakota. They had the old nickname the Fighting Sioux, and were forced to change. It was VERY controversial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...ux_controversy
        I agree. I will say ESU did a nice job reworking their Warriors logo. I remember when the street signs on your campus had a head of a Native American on them.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Re SHU: They are officially THE GRIFFONS hence FAMILY GUY and THE STEWIES. Love this variation
          It wasn't mentioned but my VULCANS are frequently (by IUP fans) called the SPOCKS for hopefully obvious reasons. More interesting evolution is the CAL U introduction. Students at both CAL U and IUP (probably SRU as well) have been met with the question "CAL WHO?" (or INDIANA WHO) when they mentioned that they attended or graduated from one of these unusually named PA schools. ANGELO ARMENTI in one of the more intelligent decisions of his tenure decided to make a positive from an apparent negative. He started the CAL WHO..CAL U cheer during the 2004 run to the WBB NC. It has become popular enough that recently the school pretty much has pushed to change the public perception from CAL(PA) UNIVERSITY to simply CAL U. During the 2015 WBB NC game not only did the national broadcasting team largely use ONLY that name, but you could easily hear the cheering of the VULCANS contingent in Sioux Falls. I've noticed that more and more news outlets are picking up on it which will ultimately help build a distinct identity for the school.

Comment

I can see that but we'll pass on CUP. Maybe CLARION would be interested.

Comment

Yep.

Let's be honest, outside of our small little universe here ... California or Cal is the Golden Bears. Indiana is the Hoosiers.

Now that little annoyance IUPUI is a whole different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I can see that but we'll pass on CUP. Maybe CLARION would be interested.
                Ugh Edinboro bought into the "_UP"-itis in the 80s and its hard to shake.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I actually thought in a roundabout way that CALUPA might have been workable. Happy I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

You think that was hard for you, imagine being an IUP grad and then after the formation of PASSHE have every other school call themselves _UP. I've said many times that PASSHE was the first IUP Rule.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

You think that was hard for you, imagine being an IUP grad and then after the formation of PASSHE have every other school call themselves _UP. I've said many times that PASSHE was the first IUP Rule.
                      There should have been something passed that IUP would remain above the rest.

Comment

Word has it that when PASSHE was going to all universities, they considered the naming convention of State University at the Campus of ______, but Kutztown was against it. :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                          Word has it that when PASSHE was going to all universities, they considered the naming convention of State University at the Campus of ______, but Kutztown was against it. :tongue:
                          And they say Horror Child doesn't have a sense of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

And they say Horror Child doesn't have a sense of humor.
                            He's grown on me. Slowly. Over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yep.

Let's be honest, outside of our small little universe here ... California or Cal is the Golden Bears. Indiana is the Hoosiers.

Now that little annoyance IUPUI is a whole different discussion.
                              Living in Columbus and anywhere I have traveled in the Midwest, if I say that I went to IUP everybody automatically assumes I went to IUPUI. It takes a few minutes to explain that there's an Indiana in PA and that there's a college there. Then they still think there's an affiliation with Bloomington.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                                At least it wasn't the Federal University at the Campus of Kutztown. :D :smile-big:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X