X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Re: IUP Football 2019

Spring drills should be starting anytime here. What are some of the story lines that our esteemed roundtable will be following this spring?

I think the obvious headlining story should be Davis vs. Wilkerson with a shot to be the starting signal caller on the line.

I think there will be a lot of positional groups that will warrant a peek to see what is going on there.

Running backs- We found out last year they were not exactly the can't miss group everyone assumed as attrition took its toll on them. How does IUP412 practice squad MVP Duane Brown do? Does he bring his talents to full fruition? And as Number83 tells us---the frosh back could possibly emerge as a candidate for quality carries.

O-line- a bit of an off year for them. How do they re-group and reload?

D-line- should be better with a year of seasoning after all the losses from 2017.

Secondary- Should be an interesting group to monitor with a key return and a quality transfer added to the mix.

Punter- Ruiz will leave some big shoes to fill.

Coaching staff- will have to weather the storm come May when grades come out. Hopefully things go better than last year. Also a lot of heat on the OC after some suspect play-calling last year according to our roundtable.

It should make for a very exciting spring! Hopefully Tort will let us know when the scrimmages are before the spring game. Seemed like he was more transparent about such things in his first year when he had some magic happening.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP Ebbs
    replied

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
    ........ The biggest surprise to me was the point was made several times about the academic accomplishments. Do you think theses guys were brought in to bump up the team GPA, or do they have a shot to contribute on the field immediately?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
    Hey All!

Now that Spring is here, just wanted to get the communities thought on the incoming class. Do you think any of the incoming Freshman could make an impact right away, or is it just a "get in line, work hard and wait your turn" scenario? My thoughts on a few of the kids that stood out, looking at their film:

Stone Shugarts - Recruit from GA. Legacy so the DNA is there. Look like he has room to bulk.
    Darrius Lloyd - Recruit from MD. Brother is on IUP. Not sure that's the right size to play LB, but might be prototype Safety if he has the speed.
    David Filippello - Recruit from Eastern PA. Looks big but still with room to add on his frame. A lot of his film was OL, and looked good. Curious that hes a DL Recruit.
    Adam Houser - Recruit from Shippensburg, of all places. A good get for IUP. Small, but fast and can break the big one. Could be impact from day 1.

The biggest surprise to me was the point was made several times about the academic accomplishments. Do you think theses guys were brought in to bump up the team GPA, or do they have a shot to contribute on the field immediately?
    They were brought in to succeed on the field -- and in the classroom. Tort had to talk about it so much this off-season because he got roasted for the all the knucklheads last year being academic stooges. You lose 7-8 guys pre-camp to grades and it not only ruins the season but also makes the HC look like he has no control.

Leave a comment:

• Number83
    replied

Hey All!

Now that Spring is here, just wanted to get the communities thought on the incoming class. Do you think any of the incoming Freshman could make an impact right away, or is it just a "get in line, work hard and wait your turn" scenario? My thoughts on a few of the kids that stood out, looking at their film:

Stone Shugarts - Recruit from GA. Legacy so the DNA is there. Look like he has room to bulk.
    Darrius Lloyd - Recruit from MD. Brother is on IUP. Not sure that's the right size to play LB, but might be prototype Safety if he has the speed.
    David Filippello - Recruit from Eastern PA. Looks big but still with room to add on his frame. A lot of his film was OL, and looked good. Curious that hes a DL Recruit.
    Adam Houser - Recruit from Shippensburg, of all places. A good get for IUP. Small, but fast and can break the big one. Could be impact from day 1.

The biggest surprise to me was the point was made several times about the academic accomplishments. Do you think theses guys were brought in to bump up the team GPA, or do they have a shot to contribute on the field immediately?

Leave a comment:

• BallHawkin
    replied

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
    With Streeter and Makle back in the mix, DB more importantly Corner big upgrade. Probably pushes Stevens to Nickel back where he is more suited due to his speed/size and lack of hitting. Passing league better start covering peeps and getting turnovers....No on AB player regarding transfer......just sayin
    If Makle makes it to the fall that will be the biggest boost to the secondary this year. He was the best player back there last spring but his (and others) selfishness in not working in the classroom sabotaged the season............ jus sayin

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
    After reading his bio from his announcement I definitely have to agree that he does get around:

https://gscpioneers.com/news/2019/3/...all-coach.aspx

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Give that man a Cigar...Boy that Keller guy sure gets around, Geez.
    After reading his bio from his announcement I definitely have to agree that he does get around:

https://gscpioneers.com/news/2019/3/...all-coach.aspx

Leave a comment:

• IUP412
    replied

Then my next guess would be 2nd Team All GMAC RS Junior Matt Guevremont from the now defunct Malone University football squad. IF HE'S NOT the guy then I will just wait until the fall.
    Give that man a Cigar...Boy that Keller guy sure gets around, Geez.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    Looks like you are right.
    I guess I am:

https://twitter.com/CoachThomas0562/...88674540445696

Thanks for saying something

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied

Then my next guess would be 2nd Team All GMAC RS Junior Matt Guevremont from the now defunct Malone University football squad. IF HE'S NOT the guy then I will just wait until the fall.
    Looks like you are right.

Leave a comment:

• IUPMonk
    replied

Big OT. That's a good guess even if it doesn't pan out.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

With Streeter and Makle back in the mix, DB more importantly Corner big upgrade. Probably pushes Stevens to Nickel back where he is more suited due to his speed/size and lack of hitting. Passing league better start covering peeps and getting turnovers....No on AB player regarding transfer......just sayin

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Former Cal HC Mike Kellar officially named coach at Glenville State.

Leave a comment:

• IUP412
    replied

They brought in 6-7 DB transfers last year, look how that panned out. How about coach up or develop the guys you recruited? I agree with BigIndians, they had (and still do) have talent in the secondary, but the only changes last season that were made were to the CBs. Hopefully they bring in some coaches that can get the secondary back on par.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied

Matt,

We are aware of Nazir Streater from LIU Post. IUPMonk was questioning what IUP412 stated regarding an All Conference D2 OL possibly transferring to IUP. I think it could be Alderson Broaddus RS Jr Donovan McNelis, a product of Penn Trafford.

Ah, thanks for that. I didn't read far enough back.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X