X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Duane Brown and Nazir Streater were named Lindy's Preseason All-Americans.

IUP was ranked No. 20 in its preseason Top 25.
    Sorry about your luck. If that dart had landed just a hair lower you'd be #6.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Duane Brown and Nazir Streater were named Lindy's Preseason All-Americans.

IUP was ranked No. 20 in its preseason Top 25.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Ebbs
    replied

This is probably the biggest summer shopping season Tort (or IUP for that matter) has had in a long time.

If Tort has a strong summer getting a few key transfers in, the outlook could be completely different by August. He has a ton of talent on the roster -- it's just lacking in a few key positions.

It was pretty apparent in the Spring they had some major holes to fill. Some of the guys who left were absolutely big losses. Others could turn in to addition by subtraction.

It's pretty clear he has to bring in some ready-to-play defensive transfers. There's a ton of guys out there and the portal is completely flooded. Now the stars just have to align.

There's a long way to go before that Fall roster gets published. A lot can (and will) happen.
    Good post.

I'll caveat my pessimism based on today's roster. Hopefully IUP Football has the "Big Summer" you mentioned, and fills in some of the question marks on the roster. OL, DL, and secondary (Safety) are my focal areas. QB too.

Time will tell and September is not as far away at it may seem.

Transfers have become such a key part of a college programs recruiting effort in the last 2 years. Now, recruiting of Freshman and transfers, is nearly non-stop year round. That can wear out a staff (and empty a football programs scholarship accounts).

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    Adam Houser's little brother, Isaiah, ran the 200 and 400 at states. He set Shippensburg High school records in both, along with the 100.

Like I said earlier, he's 160 pounds soaking wet. But I fully expect him to be at least in the return game. He is a player.
    Whether players like this Pan out will determine the difference between 6-4 and 10-0, that and the QB position

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Adam Houser's little brother, Isaiah, ran the 200 and 400 at states. He set Shippensburg High school records in both, along with the 100.

Like I said earlier, he's 160 pounds soaking wet. But I fully expect him to be at least in the return game. He is a player.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I could be missing something but I just don't see this depth issue everybody keeps talking about. When I look up and down the IUP Spring roster I see nothing but quality players. There are a couple positions where they need some reinforcements but overall I think they are pretty deep.
    I think it depends whether you are counting players that have experience or not. So many players who have never have played a meaningful snap in a game. In particular DL and LB. But even WR, with 14 players listed, only 3 have experience, and Tort looking to get another doesn't look good for his confidence in the freshmen

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

True - Depth will be an issue as well. .There are alot of local QBs looking to transfer, but a backup from Saint Francis or Robert Morris won't be the answer.

I think this will be an unpredictable year. Missing a full season for even the stars can make a big difference - how long since Irv Charles played a real game ? Players often have a disappointing senior year, how about now, with a year off before their senior season. Freshman who redshirted in 2019 haven't played a game in 2 years. The good news is that every other team will have the same issues.
    I could be missing something but I just don't see this depth issue everybody keeps talking about. When I look up and down the IUP Spring roster I see nothing but quality players. There are a couple positions where they need some reinforcements but overall I think they are pretty deep.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

This is probably the biggest summer shopping season Tort (or IUP for that matter) has had in a long time.

If Tort has a strong summer getting a few key transfers in, the outlook could be completely different by August. He has a ton of talent on the roster -- it's just lacking in a few key positions.

It was pretty apparent in the Spring they had some major holes to fill. Some of the guys who left were absolutely big losses. Others could turn in to addition by subtraction.

It's pretty clear he has to bring in some ready-to-play defensive transfers. There's a ton of guys out there and the portal is completely flooded. Now the stars just have to align.

There's a long way to go before that Fall roster gets published. A lot can (and will) happen.
    True - Depth will be an issue as well. .There are alot of local QBs looking to transfer, but a backup from Saint Francis or Robert Morris won't be the answer.

I think this will be an unpredictable year. Missing a full season for even the stars can make a big difference - how long since Irv Charles played a real game ? Players often have a disappointing senior year, how about now, with a year off before their senior season. Freshman who redshirted in 2019 haven't played a game in 2 years. The good news is that every other team will have the same issues.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post

1-6. Sell
    7. Buy

Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic for this season. After a long absence, IUP produces a 6-4 season.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Ebbs
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Alright IUP football fans let's get focused on the upcoming 2021 season with another fun installment of buying or selling about some comments about the team and their fortunes. Buying of course means that you agree and selling means that you disagree. Let's jump right in. We will call this one the offensive edition.

1. Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB?

2. Justice Evans will be a 1,000 yard rusher?

3. Touchdown Duane Brown will be a serious Harlon Hill contender?

4. Irv Charles will prove that he is indeed a real person and will play in an actual game for IUP this season?

5. The IUP offensive line will be dominant this season?

6. IUP will win the entire PSAC?

7. (on the lighter side) Indiana Gazette IUP football beat writer Matt Burglund will have a complete meltdown before the end of the season?

It will be interesting to hear what our esteemed roundtable has to say on these matters. It will be good to get back to IUP football.

Support Pat Dougherty for Indiana County Judge!
    1-6. Sell
    7. Buy

Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic for this season. After a long absence, IUP produces a 6-4 season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The WR from Wagner IUP offered committed to North Carolina Central.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by GregD View Post
    . Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB? Buying. Word around town is the Spring competition wasn't very close. Could Tort drop a major curveball and bring in a D1 mercenary? That may be the bigger question.

He already did
    Are you saying they've added another QB transfer since Spring Ball or are you referring to Ramart?

If they did add one ... they've done a heck of job keeping this awfully quiet.

Leave a comment:

• GregD
    replied
    . Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB? Buying. Word around town is the Spring competition wasn't very close. Could Tort drop a major curveball and bring in a D1 mercenary? That may be the bigger question.

He already did

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    1. Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB? Buying. Word around town is the Spring competition wasn't very close. Could Tort drop a major curveball and bring in a D1 mercenary? That may be the bigger question.

2. Justice Evans will be a 1,000 yard rusher? Selling. He's the best around in spurts. They have too many other mouths to feed to run him ragged.

3. Touchdown Duane Brown will be a serious Harlon Hill contender? Selling. Until we know more about the QB ... no way to call an IUP WR a HH Candidate.

4. Irv Charles will prove that he is indeed a real person and will play in an actual game for IUP this season? Buying. Irv was recently on the ballot for the IUP Hall of Fame -- the first person ever nominated prior to taking their first snap.

5. The IUP offensive line will be dominant this season? Buying. They better be. Lot of beef, experience and athletes up there. Tort has a lot of coin invested on that line.

6. IUP will win the entire PSAC? No comment until the final roster is revealed. There are some pleasant surprises upcoming.

7. (on the lighter side) Indiana Gazette IUP football beat writer Matt Burglund will have a complete meltdown before the end of the season? Selling. This isn't his first rodeo. Although, the HOF topic seemed to set him off a bit.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    1. Javon Davis will be the opening day starter at QB? - Selling. Regardless of Spring Game numbers I think Ramart is a fit in this offense.

2. Justice Evans will be a 1,000 yard rusher? - Selling. Too many RB options for 1 of them to put those numbers up.

3. Touchdown Duane Brown will be a serious Harlon Hill contender? - Selling. See #2.(for WR's)

4. Irv Charles will prove that he is indeed a real person and will play in an actual game for IUP this season? Buying. I don't think he's fake news.

5. The IUP offensive line will be dominant this season? Buying. For this level - yes.

6. IUP will win the entire PSAC? Haggling over this one. It's why they play the games.

7. (on the lighter side) Indiana Gazette IUP football beat writer Matt Burglund will have a complete meltdown before the end of the season? - Buying. Probably in need of professional intervention.

It will be interesting to hear what our esteemed roundtable has to say on these matters. It will be good to get back to IUP football.

Support Pat Dougherty for Indiana County Judge - Buying. More Indiana County inbreeding?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X