X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Over the years, I've talked with Tom Kennedy, Jeff Ditch, and Rabbi, and not one of them said that. In fact, they talked about the difficulty signing a player when they have little scholarship money to offer him compounded with the fact he usually wants to leave home to see what else is beyond Indiana County.

There's not a coach in America who would ignore an obviously talented player because the player is local and the coach thinks local players can't play. That's like saying "I don't want to win."
    It can also create some local interest in the program.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Over the years, I've talked with Tom Kennedy, Jeff Ditch, and Rabbi, and not one of them said that. In fact, they talked about the difficulty signing a player when they have little scholarship money to offer him compounded with the fact he usually wants to leave home to see what else is beyond Indiana County.

There's not a coach in America who would ignore an obviously talented player because the player is local and the coach thinks local players can't play. That's like saying "I don't want to win."
    Did Kennedy ever recruit? God that guy was awful!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

"We don't recruit local players."

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

The results of the scrimmage sound like Davis is in the drivers seat. Not sure if you can judge everything on that though. There could have been some extenuating circumstances for the drastic stat lines. Hard to say. Maybe Davis had better players to roll with on his posessions but it sounds like they had such a skeleton crew that it may have been about the same players for each man to work with.

Part of me wants to say that Tort should just roll with one of these two guys at QB----but he strikes me as a practical man. If he can get the upgrade at any position then he will go get it. It is being true to the program.
    I'd say at best it seems a little messy. It's somewhat odd to be talking about possibly adding a third QB when you already have two upperclassmen in a QB battle. I kind of read in to that .... that neither really had a great Spring. The Catch 22, however, could be if you sign a D1 import this month, one of the other two is likely on the first Uber out of town.

But ... very rarely are we going to have a Duane Brown and Irv Charles at the same time. You have to be able to get them the ball. If Tort can somehow find a Quinton Maxwell in the next couple weeks ... I suppose you can't not take him.

And, as you said, we could be making too much out of these stats from the Spring Game. The offense had (3) staring OL not play. Of course, I have no idea who played on the DL. It had to be just a lot of young kids.

I think Tort definitely has some shopping to do. I don't know what the money situation looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some players leave this week or next. That happens at every program after the Spring session -- by their choice or the coaches'. If you had some guys flop this past month they may choose to free that money up for imports.

It seems, far and away, the biggest concern right now is the DL.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

It'll save some travel money for PSAC schools. Watching to see if any PSAC schools drop out with this coming merger.
    I doubt it - there aren't good options. They're not going to be invited to the ACC or Big 10 as associate members. Maybe just maybe the EIWA, which has PA schools Bucknell, Drexel, Franklin & Marshall, Lehigh, and Penn. East Stroudsburg was a member until they dropped down to DII in 2009 (I don't even recall them being D1). Most likely is that at least one school moves down to DII. From the financial plans I've seen for both mergers they plan on strategic *expansion* of low cost sports to bring in more students with meager scholarship dollars if the new tuition dollars outweigh the operating costs similar to the DIII model.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Isn't the coach a local?

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Baseball is now 1-17 in the West and 2-24 overall. Most games they aren't even competitive.

This is year 5 for this current regime.

You would have to assume a change is coming after the season.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Found it interesting Tort isn't ruling out adding a transfer QB this summer. Sounds like there was a clear-cut winner coming out of the Spring.

Most Spring games were this weekend so the transfer portal will start blowing up tomorrow. Seems like some serious need for (more than one) DL immediately.
    The results of the scrimmage sound like Davis is in the drivers seat. Not sure if you can judge everything on that though. There could have been some extenuating circumstances for the drastic stat lines. Hard to say. Maybe Davis had better players to roll with on his posessions but it sounds like they had such a skeleton crew that it may have been about the same players for each man to work with.

Part of me wants to say that Tort should just roll with one of these two guys at QB----but he strikes me as a practical man. If he can get the upgrade at any position then he will go get it. It is being true to the program.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

OT: Univ. of Missouri dropped out of the MAC in wrestling to join the Big12. Mizzou won 9 MAC championships in the 9 years they were in the MAC.
    It'll save some travel money for PSAC schools. Watching to see if any PSAC schools drop out with this coming merger.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post

And Bloom men won the PSAC Championship too. Both teams won because West Chester wasn't competing this year.
    OT: Univ. of Missouri dropped out of the MAC in wrestling to join the Big12. Mizzou won 9 MAC championships in the 9 years they were in the MAC.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    The IUP Ladies Swimming Team won the Pee Sack Championship.
    And Bloom men won the PSAC Championship too. Both teams won because West Chester wasn't competing this year.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Yes, congratulations to IUP Women's Swimming. So, that's Men's Golf and Women's Swimming. Had we had FB and BB this year IUP might have been in the race for the Dixon trophy.

(Good to see you giving some attention to the non-revenue sports)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Found it interesting Tort isn't ruling out adding a transfer QB this summer. Sounds like there was a clear-cut winner coming out of the Spring.

Most Spring games were this weekend so the transfer portal will start blowing up tomorrow. Seems like some serious need for (more than one) DL immediately.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Is Rebyanski somehow related to the Hasletts?
    LOL.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X