Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has offered Darius Bruce (Westinghouse).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Is the restaurant at the Brown Hotel still open. A group of us ate dinner there as students and we though we were being fancy...:-D

Ypuvard right about the homes on 6th Street...gorgeous old homes.
    The Brown was shut down a couple years back. It needs some serious structural repairs. It's been sitting vacant. It was a nice place at one time ... still could be but it would take some coin.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Interesting dynamic developing. You are correct ... there are some old, actual near- mansions in Indiana proper -- particuarly on N. 6th and parts of S. 6th.

N. 6th has stayed much nicer. Many on the south end have unfortunately turned in to college houses.

The N. 6th item is those really big, fancy houses are slowly coming up for sale one after another. Most of the owners are getting up there in age. Many are initially listing for big numbers (Indiana standards). Problem is the 'young money' in Indiana doesn't want to live in town. Indiana is now surrounded by more modern developments in White Twp.

So, who knows what will become of those big houses. Many of them are extremely grand. They were the homes of wealthy coal execs in the 50s, etc. They don't build 'em like that anymore. Some of them would cost a fortune to try and duplicate today.

On that street, The Brown Hotel is a whole different subject.
    Is the restaurant at the Brown Hotel still open. A group of us ate dinner there as students and we though we were being fancy...:-D

Ypuvard right about the homes on 6th Street...gorgeous old homes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has offered QB Joey McCraken (Warwick High). Also has a Ship offer.

5A first-team All-State (I know ...they're all All-everything at this point).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They were dumps 35 years ago. I can only imagine how many of them have been fire code violations all these years.

There are some beautiful old homes in Indiana. If some of them are being restored that will be a wonderful thing.
    Interesting dynamic developing. You are correct ... there are some old, actual near- mansions in Indiana proper -- particuarly on N. 6th and parts of S. 6th.

N. 6th has stayed much nicer. Many on the south end have unfortunately turned in to college houses.

The N. 6th item is those really big, fancy houses are slowly coming up for sale one after another. Most of the owners are getting up there in age. Many are initially listing for big numbers (Indiana standards). Problem is the 'young money' in Indiana doesn't want to live in town. Indiana is now surrounded by more modern developments in White Twp.

So, who knows what will become of those big houses. Many of them are extremely grand. They were the homes of wealthy coal execs in the 50s, etc. They don't build 'em like that anymore. Some of them would cost a fortune to try and duplicate today.

On that street, The Brown Hotel is a whole different subject.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Let's hope the next step isn't letting townies rent dorm rooms. LOL.

One thing I know for sure is the Slum Lord market in Indiana is dying. Lots and lots of what were forever college dumps are being sold by the week. Flippers are buying them up and renovating them to family homes. There are very few college houses left 'across' Philly Street. Even the once-booming college neighborhood across from the Wayne Ave McDonald's (a couple streets back) is largely becoming all permanent residents.

It's actually good for the town in the current time. For decades they had no reason to fix those dumps up. They were in demand. Now, there are thousands less students and the ones who want to live off campus want nice places.

I have a slum lord buddy in town who owns 6 houses. He said he can't even give them away right now to renters.
    They were dumps 35 years ago. I can only imagine how many of them have been fire code violations all these years.

There are some beautiful old homes in Indiana. If some of them are being restored that will be a wonderful thing.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Check out the article in today Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

WCCC students moving in to IUP dorms ...

yeah ... that's the subject.
    Basically they are de facto outsourcing the first 2 years of school to much cheaper professors. The problem is, how many of these students will eventually make it at IUP. The fail rate from community colleges is really high. WCU used this to great effect, but that was because they had no room for the weaker students the first two years. This seems to be encouraging students not to come to IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

One thing I know for sure is the Slum Lord market in Indiana is dying. Lots and lots of what were forever college dumps are being sold by the week. Flippers are buying them up and renovating them to family homes. There are very few college houses left 'across' Philly Street. Even the once-booming college neighborhood across from the Wayne Ave McDonald's (a couple streets back) is largely becoming all permanent residents.

It's actually good for the town in the current time. For decades they had no reason to fix those dumps up. They were in demand. Now, there are thousands less students and the ones who want to live off campus want nice places.

I have a slum lord buddy in town who owns 6 houses. He said he can't even give them away right now to renters.
    So basically what you are saying is that the flop houses are being turned into flip houses. LOL.

Yeah, I think student housing has very much exponentially improved down that way.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Edinboro is going to soon announce a similar program with LECOM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Edinboro is going to soon announce a similar program with LECOM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That could be true. The landscape was different, though. It was probably a different level of competition in '93.

Four of the quarterfinalists (North Alabama, North Dakota, UC Davis, and Hampton) that year have moved up to D1. The other four quarterfinalists were IUP, New Haven, Texas A&M-Kingsville, and Minnesota State, which was called Mankato State back then.

IUP knocked off UND in the semis (as you know) and lost to UNA in the finals and both of those schools have moved up since then.
    IUP took a lot more 'risks' in recruiting in that era, too. They gave some serious second, third and fourth chances to some talented players -- guys today that Prez Driz would never sign off on.

Those teams were much deeper than the modern-day editions. It was a different time in the scholarships, etc.

These days it's pretty rare to get now-P5 imports. We see some from the MAC, MEAC, etc. The occasional P5 surfaces but nothing like that era.

In the 90s the IUP rosters were flooded with players from Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Temple, etc. Most actually behaved ... "for the most part". Frank was a transfer-recruiting machine in the prime of his run.

That era was the shot to win the last game. I don't see any shot with our current scholarship conundrum. You aren't going to win it at 22 to 25. We have to get to at least 31 or so. Even 6-7 more equivalences would make such a depth difference in quality.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-13-2020, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

That team had an insane amount of talent.

Not to knock the '17 team but that team probably beats the '17 team by 28 points.
    That could be true. The landscape was different, though. It was probably a different level of competition in '93.

Four of the quarterfinalists (North Alabama, North Dakota, UC Davis, and Hampton) that year have moved up to D1. The other four quarterfinalists were IUP, New Haven, Texas A&M-Kingsville, and Minnesota State, which was called Mankato State back then.

IUP knocked off UND in the semis (as you know) and lost to UNA in the finals and both of those schools have moved up since then.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not could have...should have.
    That team had an insane amount of talent.

Not to knock the '17 team but that team probably beats the '17 team by 28 points.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Yeah, I was just thinking about that yesterday and even meant to post it. Certainly a game that IUP really could have won. But nonetheless a great season for a great team!

I was an undergrad then. Now I am an old man with gray hair and arthritis setting in. Odd how time goes by.
    Not could have...should have.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X