X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That Giant Eagle ran Sudsy's out ... and then closed. I'm still lobbying for The Gingerbread Man to make a comeback.
    Wolfies is up for sale.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Carriage House was a riot the two years I lived there. Contact buzz is an understatement. hahahaha Funny that you call that the new ghetto. I drive by there and it's not even close to as run down and ****ty as the "ghetto' areas of Erie. Bring back Uncle Sudsy's!!!
    That Giant Eagle ran Sudsy's out ... and then closed. I'm still lobbying for The Gingerbread Man to make a comeback.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Carriage House -- somewhat -- has cleaned up a bit over the past 5 years or so. It doesn't get the police action it used to in the 90s and early 00s. You'd think that area of Wayne would be easy to patrol and keep somewhat under wraps. But, that's really the only full strip of exclusively college houses. Both sides of Wayne and even behind it (Fleming). Right at the 'Y' there where the old video store is they have 3-4 in a row all for sale -- although I think the offer is for all of them together. They all all need torn down -- total eyesores.

What's sad is Giant Eagle spent a fortune converting their old store to what they called a prototype Giant Eagle Market. It was a really nice store, but it closed within a couple years. That building has been sitting there empty for at least 3 years now. It's still for lease but they want something like $30,000/month for it. Could an Olive Garden or something work there? Hard to say. It's now right in the heart of the new ghetto of campus -- which surely doesn't help.
    Carriage House was a riot the two years I lived there. Contact buzz is an understatement. hahahaha Funny that you call that the new ghetto. I drive by there and it's not even close to as run down and ****ty as the "ghetto' areas of Erie. Bring back Uncle Sudsy's!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I remember a Pizza Hut at that intersection. It's probably been gone for decades.
    I would go to the Pizza Hut next to the student union (which had an Hardee's inside).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I remember a Pizza Hut at that intersection. It's probably been gone for decades.
    It's still there ... although it's now half KFC and half Pizza Hut.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Carriage House -- somewhat -- has cleaned up a bit over the past 5 years or so. It doesn't get the police action it used to in the 90s and early 00s. You'd think that area of Wayne would be easy to patrol and keep somewhat under wraps. But, that's really the only full strip of exclusively college houses. Both sides of Wayne and even behind it (Fleming). Right at the 'Y' there where the old video store is they have 3-4 in a row all for sale -- although I think the offer is for all of them together. They all all need torn down -- total eyesores.

What's sad is Giant Eagle spent a fortune converting their old store to what they called a prototype Giant Eagle Market. It was a really nice store, but it closed within a couple years. That building has been sitting there empty for at least 3 years now. It's still for lease but they want something like $30,000/month for it. Could an Olive Garden or something work there? Hard to say. It's now right in the heart of the new ghetto of campus -- which surely doesn't help.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You are absolutely correct. It's basically at the Y intersection towards McDonald's. What a dump that area has become. Send that action back to the Carriage House.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Down from old frat row near the KCAC.

Think the old Giant Eagle ... Uncle Sud's and McDonald's area.
    You are absolutely correct. It's basically at the Y intersection towards McDonald's. What a dump that area has become. Send that action back to the Carriage House.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Is that block closer to the KCAC than the old Frat Row or is it closer to Phila Street?
    Down from old frat row near the KCAC.

Think the old Giant Eagle ... Uncle Sud's and McDonald's area.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    It didn't take long for the slum section of the IUP campus (800 block of Wayne Ave) to make some headlines. First stabbing over the weekend (those involved were 20 and 23 years old). No official word if either were IUP students.

For those who haven't been back in years, the old 'Frat Row' (as most of us knew it) is largely gone. A lot of the slum frat houses were tore down. It seems most of the trouble simply moved further down the street. Several of the worst crimes near campus in the past 5 years have all come on the same block.
    Is that block closer to the KCAC than the old Frat Row or is it closer to Phila Street?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It didn't take long for the slum section of the IUP campus (800 block of Wayne Ave) to make some headlines. First stabbing over the weekend (those involved were 20 and 23 years old). No official word if either were IUP students.

For those who haven't been back in years, the old 'Frat Row' (as most of us knew it) is largely gone. A lot of the slum frat houses were tore down. It seems most of the trouble simply moved further down the street. Several of the worst crimes near campus in the past 5 years have all come on the same block.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I think with their ruling that D1 football players can play this fall and spring and still retain that year of eligibility it's opened the can of worms and they'll have to approve the same measures for D2 football players. The difference is that the D1 schools have more money to retain kids an extra year on scholarship as opposed to D2 programs who will need to let 5th year seniors walk away due to having to cough up money for freshman recruits.
    To an extent. You aren't going to let star seniors-to-be walk in favor of freshmen. You'd just take less freshmen. My theory, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Don't forget Dayjure Stewart, the RB from Fork Union.

Not sure if D-II athletes will be given an extra year of eligibility. So I am not sure what will happen with Anderson. I know he was academically ineligible one season.

Justice never red-shirted, so I can see him coming back for a 5th season. He could possibly play the slot. :)

I wonder who is this PSAC West transfer......
    I think with their ruling that D1 football players can play this fall and spring and still retain that year of eligibility it's opened the can of worms and they'll have to approve the same measures for D2 football players. The difference is that the D1 schools have more money to retain kids an extra year on scholarship as opposed to D2 programs who will need to let 5th year seniors walk away due to having to cough up money for freshman recruits.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    News of the odd variety out of Indiana ...

Two alligators (6' and 4') were stolen from Price's Pets.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Kind of risky to do that considering if the NCAA doesn't expand scholarship limits at the FCS level there will be quite a few FCS to D2 transfers for 5th year seniors. Not to mention if he is a senior it'll only be 1 year and he'll have to compete with FCS transfers, C/o 2020 and 2021 recruits for playing time.
    You make some very good points.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X