• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well ... we have Mr. Youtube.

He'd be the best candidate for that type of coin.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I don't know. They've had so much success even with crappy football facilities. I'd put it in the scholarship fund. Get maxed. Miller is what is. The power of that program going from 23 scholarships to 35 could be tremendous. Replace the horrendous prison-style, chain-link perimeter fence with something nice. That's a big start. Other than that you're getting in to total renovations/rebuild. I'd actually put money first in to a fancy locker room and training facility.

The home side needs blown up. Total start over. The restrooms underneath the home side were last updated in probably 1975. The pressbox is well-documented -- and Lord knows how they get past any code inspectors. As we know they aren't building a football version of the KCAC anytime soon. A project they could do is the back of the home side bleachers. It's a mess back there and looks terrible. They use it as storage - track crap everywhere, chipped paint all over. That gives the stadium an instant bad look from the parking lot.

Many have complained in the past but the concrete wall between Miller and the Field House looks like it got bombed. Awful. That's a relatively quick fix for a HIGHLY visible area.

Unfortunately, I think they let some of this stuff go for so long that it's nearing a total overhaul. Minus our version of a T. Boone Pickens (Hurley) ... that overhaul isn't happening any time soon.
    Maybe do a two-fer of the new locker room and weight room under a new home side? I still think if they build a new stadium it should be shared with the fairgrounds. That's a big grandstand across the street that sits there most of the year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Maybe a major stadium renovation...but his IUP experience was defined by running track, so Miller 2.0 might have a track. That would be alright if the stadium looked like many of the other top stadiums with tracks.
    I don't know. They've had so much success even with crappy football facilities. I'd put it in the scholarship fund. Get maxed. Miller is what is. The power of that program going from 23 scholarships to 35 could be tremendous. Replace the horrendous prison-style, chain-link perimeter fence with something nice. That's a big start. Other than that you're getting in to total renovations/rebuild. I'd actually put money first in to a fancy locker room and training facility.

The home side needs blown up. Total start over. The restrooms underneath the home side were last updated in probably 1975. The pressbox is well-documented -- and Lord knows how they get past any code inspectors. As we know they aren't building a football version of the KCAC anytime soon. A project they could do is the back of the home side bleachers. It's a mess back there and looks terrible. They use it as storage - track crap everywhere, chipped paint all over. That gives the stadium an instant bad look from the parking lot.

Many have complained in the past but the concrete wall between Miller and the Field House looks like it got bombed. Awful. That's a relatively quick fix for a HIGHLY visible area.

Unfortunately, I think they let some of this stuff go for so long that it's nearing a total overhaul. Minus our version of a T. Boone Pickens (Hurley) ... that overhaul isn't happening any time soon.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Maybe a major stadium renovation...but his IUP experience was defined by running track, so Miller 2.0 might have a track. That would be alright if the stadium looked like many of the other top stadiums with tracks.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Winning championships will fix that. We need a sugar daddy to write foosball a check so we can just outspend everyone like Northwest Misery and Grand Valley did for years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I don't think. Football and basketball here are oddly somewhat different crowds.

Joe was becoming the hottest ticket in town last year. They had a 6-game stretch with 3,000+ ... that's nuts at the D2 level. His whole team, which was No. 4 in this year's preseason poll, is back next year. The men's team has really built up a following. They got 3,700 on a freaking Wednesday night last year. That's like 4 football games at some schools.

I worry a bit more about football. That's a much older crowd than basketball. Perhaps it's because Joe only plays in primetime and football plays during brunch. That core football crowd gets older by the year.

Beating a dead horse but if they ever want rocking football games ... get off the noon train. Hell, let's go for a few steps above funeral parlor and then we'll get to rocking.
    Winning championships will fix that. We need a sugar daddy to write foosball a check so we can just outspend everyone like Northwest Misery and Grand Valley did for years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That's about the truth there. Other than Touchdown Brown and hearing IUPBigIndians mention Davis and Ramart I honestly don't think that I can recall any names at all. It's been quite a long time.

Wonder if the IUP teams will have problems in getting fans back? Folks tend to move on sometimes. Or maybe it will be as if nothing happened.
    I don't think. Football and basketball here are oddly somewhat different crowds.

Joe was becoming the hottest ticket in town last year. They had a 6-game stretch with 3,000+ ... that's nuts at the D2 level. His whole team, which was No. 4 in this year's preseason poll, is back next year. The men's team has really built up a following. They got 3,700 on a freaking Wednesday night last year. That's like 4 football games at some schools.

I worry a bit more about football. That's a much older crowd than basketball. Perhaps it's because Joe only plays in primetime and football plays during brunch. That core football crowd gets older by the year.

Beating a dead horse but if they ever want rocking football games ... get off the noon train. Hell, let's go for a few steps above funeral parlor and then we'll get to rocking.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They better have names on their backs. It's been so long I can't remember half of them. hahahaha
    That's about the truth there. Other than Touchdown Brown and hearing IUPBigIndians mention Davis and Ramart I honestly don't think that I can recall any names at all. It's been quite a long time.

Wonder if the IUP teams will have problems in getting fans back? Folks tend to move on sometimes. Or maybe it will be as if nothing happened.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Looked up last year's recruiting class (because I basically forgot who was even in it).

Tort had a good class last year. Hopefully most of them stick around. I assume there will be a casualty or two.

Going back a year prior that class had many redshirt as true freshman (in 2019). Wild to think they'll be academic juniors (hopefully) but redshirt freshmen football players.

Those first couple days of practice should be interesting.
    They better have names on their backs. It's been so long I can't remember half of them. hahahaha

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Looked up last year's recruiting class (because I basically forgot who was even in it).

Tort had a good class last year. Hopefully most of them stick around. I assume there will be a casualty or two.

Going back a year prior that class had many redshirt as true freshman (in 2019). Wild to think they'll be academic juniors (hopefully) but redshirt freshmen football players.

Those first couple days of practice should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

What if ADP was slinging deep balls to Irv come October on a grass knoll?
    I'd say that there would have to be a second passer then. My candidate for Mr. Big would be Hankins or Wilkerson. Or I suppose maybe even $tockett but in that case there would at least be a money trail.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Irv Charles is still the wild card. No mention of him anywhere. I'm assuming he's gone.

What if ADP was slinging deep balls to Irv come October on a grassy knoll?
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-08-2021, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Duane is fine. He'll be here in the Fall (he's here now). Confirmed he is returning to the roster.
    Irv Charles is still the wild card. No mention of him anywhere. I'm assuming he's gone.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I think predicting rosters for the fall is going to be extra difficult. Sure everyone got an extra year of eligibility but things change. Still lots of time for Player A's mom to tell him to get a big boy job and lots of time for Player B to get kicked off the team or Player C to bomb academically. That's not just IUP that's everyone. Our schools recruit a ton of kids from lower income communities and if football isn't happening in the fall those rosters might look different.

Remind me - what happened to Duane Brown? He's not on the roster. Taking a semester off?

I don't feel warm and fuzzy yet about a Fall season. If the testing requirements remain the same ... just not sure the money will be there to accommodate an entire football program at this level. With coaches, players and support staff ... we're talking, what, 100-some tests per round (3x per week)? That adds up real quick.

I just have a feeling they will take the same route as basketball and put it up to a vote. Only a few PSAC schools could probably swing the football testing. I just have a hunch we'll see some teams play (some form of an independent schedule) and many not.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I think predicting rosters for the fall is going to be extra difficult. Sure everyone got an extra year of eligibility but things change. Still lots of time for Player A's mom to tell him to get a big boy job and lots of time for Player B to get kicked off the team or Player C to bomb academically. That's not just IUP that's everyone. Our schools recruit a ton of kids from lower income communities and if football isn't happening in the fall those rosters might look different.

Remind me - what happened to Duane Brown? He's not on the roster. Taking a semester off?
    Duane is fine. He'll be here in the Fall (he's here now). Confirmed he is returning to the roster.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X