Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PASSHE - our alma maters

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    And, furthermore, in these areas where the PASSHE schools are located and which are so heavily dependent on public education (the PASSHE schools are often the biggest employer in the county) they keep voting for Republicans who keep cutting it. It's counterintuitive.
    It is my impression, the people who live in PASSHE school counties would be happy to see them close. They detest the liberal egg heads who teach 12 hours a week and make much more than they do working 40 hours. They detest the snot nosed spoiled brat students who bring problems to their neighborhoods. I am not a Republican, but they would agree with the following quote:

"One of the causes of the downfall of Rome was that people, being fed by the State....ceased to have any responsibility for themselves or their children, and consequently became a nation of wasters." R. Baden-Powell 1908

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      It is my impression, the people who live in PASSHE school counties would be happy to see them close. They detest the liberal egg heads who teach 12 hours a week and make much more than they do working 40 hours. They detest the snot nosed spoiled brat students who bring problems to their neighborhoods. I am not a Republican, but they would agree with the following quote:

"One of the causes of the downfall of Rome was that people, being fed by the State....ceased to have any responsibility for themselves or their children, and consequently became a nation of wasters." R. Baden-Powell 1908
      That's another interesting observation. Fascinating, in fact. From what I've seen on Facebook I think what you say might have validity. On the other hand, most people know people who work there, attend or have attended there, etc. But I think these people in rural PA (and you know I grew up there) don't know what's good for them. They have to come to terms with the fact that they are "the have nots." While they rail against the big cities and how little places like Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Indiana, etc. are being exploited they don't realize how much they have in common with the urban areas when it comes to state politics. Hate to get so political on here but this is too good and too important to ignore.

Comment

Also, in my hometown of Lock Haven, there has always been pretty good town-gown relations. "The college" has always been an integral part of the community. However, I get your point because a lot of people probably see these profs as politically correct libs. Need I say more? I don't think they would be ok with it shutting down, though.

Comment

Also, in my hometown of Lock Haven, there has always been pretty good town-gown relations. "The college" has always been an integral part of the community. However, I get your point because a lot of people probably see these profs as politically correct libs. Need I say more? I don't think they would be ok with it shutting down, though.
          I live in Indiana and also was once a student here so I see both sides.

I know yesterday was like a yearly holiday in town (when all the students leave). That said, IUP students pump a lot of coin in to the town, and I think most realize it.

As these Taj Mahal apartments went up, it killed the slumlord market in Indiana. So, the students don't mingle with the locals as much. Few live in the neighborhoods anymore. But, most would prefer they build a huge wall around that campus to segregate it.

Personally, I think it keeps things lively.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 05-12-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Also remember that the faculty union (to their credit) have negotiated salaries that are in the 90th percentile with a focus on teaching not research. So the average professor is making in the $80s which is often close to double the median income for the immediate area save the two Chester County schools.

Comment

That's an interesting observation. When I was in school all I needed was that cinderblock-walled dorm room. Amenities didn't mean anything to me. The storyline was that they built these facilities to keep up with the rest of the world and remain competitive on that front. Nevertheless, the decline in the state appropriation is the killer and I don't really think the legislature solicits feedback from the their constituents when doling it out. They just haven't supported it. And if you follow the changes during Democratic and Republican administrations in PA it's like a see-saw. It has come up during Dem administrations but overall it's dropped precipitously. I blame Republicans. It's black and white.
              College tuition increases by at least 5%/year which is far greater than the general inflation rate. And that's just tuition, not the amenity living facilities.

https://www.savingforcollege.com/tut...gher-education

For PASSHE, the demand has dropped, so it's time for the supplier to react like...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevefo.../#1bb8e9b223fb

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                College tuition increases by at least 5%/year which is far greater than the general inflation rate. And that's just tuition, not the amenity living facilities.

https://www.savingforcollege.com/tut...gher-education

For PASSHE, the demand has dropped, so it's time for the supplier to react like...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevefo.../#1bb8e9b223fb

The problem is, like healthcare, college is largely driven by personnel costs. And the cost of hiring people has increased significantly, even as technology has become much cheaper. Case in point, the worthless sandusky law that has ended up requiring the university does a background check of anyone who might encounter a 17 year old - most PASSHE universities had to do this for every academic employee, including student workers. If minimum wage for student workers goes to $15, there will be another huge increase in expenses. Costs to pay prevailing wage for construction, ever more personnel to monitor the ever increasing state imposed regulations. And yes, as some have mentioned, Faculty salaries at the top of the scale even for the expensive northeast. BTW, faculty compensation at Passhe has been decreasing relative to inflation - you should have seen the contract 30 years ago. Then there is the huge amount of corruption in the college's administration - I was reading recently of some problems at Bloom with their newly hired President, though all universities seem to have the same problems. IUP has had real problems getting good people to work in administration as well - sort of a peter principle thing I guess, but why college trustees always seem to screw up checking previous positions, and get fooled by smooth talkers has been disappointing.

Comment

IUP is looking at a 10% decline in its freshman class versus last year according to the IG. Fortunately some of that enrollment loss is mitigated by increased retention of enrolled students.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    IUP is looking at a 10% decline in its freshman class versus last year according to the IG. Fortunately some of that enrollment loss is mitigated by increased retention of enrolled students.
                    That's a worst case, it probably will be somewhat less than 10 , but still a decline.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                      That's a worst case, it probably will be somewhat less than 10 , but still a decline.
                      Is that an IUP exclusive issue or is everybody else in the same boat?

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                        Sure will - still a lot of hopeful high school seniors holding out that they can brag at their grad party about going to Penn State or Pitt...main campus of course. Both schools play a terrible game of waitlisting applicants for the main campus without requiring them to commit to any Pitt or Penn State campus. The local private school in Moon Township picks up 50 or so deposits in late June and July from these kids.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Is that an IUP exclusive issue or is everybody else in the same boat?
                          I haven't heard alot about all the others, everybody has been keeping this number quiet - not sure why IUP published this - it can give a kid buyers remorse, or lose someone on the fence. I'll bet everyone is down like last year, the question will be how much. I wouldn't want to be at Clarion the next few years.

Comment

PASSHE - our alma maters

Comment

Article stated retention up at IUP, but they are losing potential students to Penn State, Slippery Rock, West Chester, Bloomsburg, Temple and California

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...ea5041f15.html

Comment

Article stated retention up at IUP, but they are losing potential students to Penn State, Slippery Rock, West Chester, Bloomsburg, Temple and California

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...ea5041f15.html
                                Most telling line:
                                PASSHE is predicting a continued decline in the number of high school graduates in Pennsylvania, especially after 2025.
                                The economics of lesser demand, a steady supply, and increasing price just do not align. Unless Pennsylvania is going to import 18-year-olds in the next 5 years, then the other two factors will need to change.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X