• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCU bags it

No sports a'tall. Cue up Van Morrison, "I said, oh-o-o-h, domino"

https://www.inquirer.com/college-spo...-20201007.html

Wow

Comment

If PSAC football is really going to be this dinky 4-game schedule that will be treated like JV games by most teams ... WCU isn't missing much.

Their basketball players are going to miss out on a 22-game season and a potential postseason.

They are first to bail ... but probably won't be the last

Comment

Of course, there are a few more sports out there than football and basketball. But we've been around that before.

Comment

The WCU faithful isn't very happy on Planet Twitter.

Comment

Let's be honest - they're probably ahead of the curve. Things are getting much better in Philly metro, especially West Chester. Suspending all sports saves good money on travel, operations, etc. There are still unanswered questions on eligibility for winter and spring. My concern is whether this means staff will be furloughed. The SID can only write so many fluff pieces, camps are cancelled, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              Let's be honest - they're probably ahead of the curve. Things are getting much better in Philly metro, especially West Chester. Suspending all sports saves good money on travel, operations, etc. There are still unanswered questions on eligibility for winter and spring. My concern is whether this means staff will be furloughed. The SID can only write so many fluff pieces, camps are cancelled, etc.
              If 100 athletes transfer out at semester end (and remember, their football and basketball players all just about pay their own way -- wink, wink -- that's a big hit on the bottom line.

Maybe very few elect to transfer. But, I can say factually there are already coaches checking that portal for updates on the hour.

Comment

PASSHE announcement about sports in spring will happen at the end of this month.

Will each individual institution be allowed to deviate from PASSHE's announcement??? if playing-opt out (definitely) not playing-to play (maybe)

What will Gannon, Hurst, Seton Hill and Shepherd do if there is a no play announcement??

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
                  PASSHE announcement about sports in spring will happen at the end of this month.

Will each individual institution be allowed to deviate from PASSHE's announcement??? if playing-opt out (definitely) not playing-to play (maybe)

What will Gannon, Hurst, Seton Hill and Shepherd do if there is a no play announcement??
                  What's your source on this? PASSHE has historically stayed away from athletics even when the PSAC was entirely PASSHE. If anything, I think it would be a directive on spectators. Most of us stream games anyway so if they push forward without fans, nothing much changes for us.

PASSHE schools do need to follow the state regulations though as extensions of the state government such as the prohibition on sponsoring large events. That's why Homecoming at each school was "at home" and large admissions days are all virtual.

Rumor is that Gannon was already trying to schedule a full non-conference slate but that probably got derailed as Covid spiked on their campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What's your source on this? PASSHE has historically stayed away from athletics even when the PSAC was entirely PASSHE. If anything, I think it would be a directive on spectators. Most of us stream games anyway so if they push forward without fans, nothing much changes for us.

PASSHE schools do need to follow the state regulations though as extensions of the state government such as the prohibition on sponsoring large events. That's why Homecoming at each school was "at home" and large admissions days are all virtual.

Rumor is that Gannon was already trying to schedule a full non-conference slate but that probably got derailed as Covid spiked on their campus.
                    Amazing they can't play yet high schools are playing with next to no issues.

Granted, high schools put up a massive political pressure effort. Not sure anybody (very few) care about PSAC sports.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Granted, high schools put up a massive political pressure effort. Not sure anybody (very few) care about PSAC sports.
                      I think its more governance. PASSHE, not PSAC. PASSHE is an extension of the state government. Public K-12 schools are not. Funded and regulated by the state (sounds like Pitt and Penn State) but not an extension of the state government.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's an interesting point. It feels like colleges have more liability. Whether that is perceived or not, I don't know. I think some of it is there are mandates to test for covid. You'd need to travel with more buses due to spacing, you'd lose gate revenue, etc. This gets costly. WCU would likely be a school that could afford that though.

Also, if there is only a 4 game season...what's the point? Teams play to win the conference and make the playoffs. If there are only 4 games, why do it?

Comment

Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

That's an interesting point. It feels like colleges have more liability. Whether that is perceived or not, I don't know. I think some of it is there are mandates to test for covid. You'd need to travel with more buses due to spacing, you'd lose gate revenue, etc. This gets costly. WCU would likely be a school that could afford that though.

Also, if there is only a 4 game season...what's the point? Teams play to win the conference and make the playoffs. If there are only 4 games, why do it?
                          I hope they do the 4 games so that we can get some younger players some real game experience. Schools should treat it as an extended fall camp but actually get good tape for the younger players. Could make our teams deeper in the long run for the next year or so.

Comment

If the NCAA allows athletes to retain this year of eligibility regardless to whether their schools have a season or not I believe the PSAC will just shut down spring football however give schools the option to schedule 2-3 games within the spring semester. That gives seniors who won't be invited back or don't want to return in the fall one last hoorah with their teammates as well as those with pro aspirations a few more games of film to have scouts review. Players who have put themselves in the transfer portal like Winston Eubanks, Charles Headen and a few guys from Millersville I wonder if they'll even find landing spots better than Shippensburg with the FCS schools all tight on scholarships.

Comment

There are rumors flying that Lock Haven has also called off all sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X