Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PASSHE Price Differences

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    It seems there will be changes coming with each school setting the price.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/201904030179
    Let's be honest: these schools are still much cheaper than going to more 'name' schools like Pitt, PSU, etc.

They had to modernize. New buildings, hotels (dorms), etc., had to be built to attract students.

This isn't the Ivy League. Something has to attract students to these campuses. The prices are low and most of our campuses are upgraded (some are still total dumps).

Those upgrades cost (big) money. Faculty in the PASSHE are making more than ever. Cost of doing business.

They just have to walk that fine line. IUP can't keep inching toward name-school costs. They will lose out on the prospective student every time.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-04-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Exactly why I'm pushing for my daughter to be a GoldenRam, IMO their college feel is more in line with a D1 school than the other PSAC schools as West Chester down town is filled with cafes/bars/shops and with us living in Philadelphia when she wants to come home it's a Septa bus and train ride away lol. I just need WCU to guarantee that rate for 4 years like ESU has done and I'll be a happy father next June lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Let's be honest: these schools are still much cheaper than going to more 'name' schools like Pitt, PSU, etc.

They had to modernize. New buildings, hotels (dorms), etc., had to be built to attract students.

This isn't the Ivy League. Something has to attract students to these campuses. The prices are low and most of our campuses are upgraded (some are still total dumps).

Those upgrades cost (big) money. Faculty in the PASSHE are making more than ever. Cost of doing business.

They just have to walk that fine line. IUP can't keep inching toward name-school costs. They will lose out on the prospective student every time.

What really handicaps them is the system-wide labor deal and the amount of services they internalize. Most rank and file are making 20% more than their local counterparts with old fashioned Cadillac health benefits. Standard or at least competitive benefits for the industry are expensive by any other industry standards and just like a lot of other industries what is considered the standard has grown in the last 30 years.

I think the cost savings can be found by either centralizing or privatizing a lot of operations: maintenance, housekeeping, landscaping/grounds, etc. Large companies with a campus of buildings don't usually employ a lot of these functions internally.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
          Exactly why I'm pushing for my daughter to be a GoldenRam, IMO their college feel is more in line with a D1 school than the other PSAC schools as West Chester down town is filled with cafes/bars/shops and with us living in Philadelphia when she wants to come home it's a Septa bus and train ride away lol. I just need WCU to guarantee that rate for 4 years like ESU has done and I'll be a happy father next June lol.
          Go where its cheapest. Gallup has found that for most of us it doesn't matter where we go to college so there's no need to handicap your early career with loans just to brag about where you went. I recently met someone who is $90k in debt for just two years studying psychology at Georgetown. You can study psychology anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Go where its cheapest. Gallup has found that for most of us it doesn't matter where we go to college so there's no need to handicap your early career with loans just to brag about where you went. I recently met someone who is $90k in debt for just two years studying psychology at Georgetown. You can study psychology anywhere.
            No doubt. That's a waste of money for that degree. I do think the school matters when you are in certain fields/professions -- to an extent. That said, it's mainly for the networking and not so much the actual education.

Comment

No doubt. That's a waste of money for that degree. I do think the school matters when you are in certain fields/professions -- to an extent. That said, it's mainly for the networking and not so much the actual education.
              Sure but it has to be a 1:1 match. People hire their own all the time. There's a great book about this - There Is Life After College - the elite employers (Google, Goldman Sachs, etc) tend to only look at the elite schools. But that elite school doesn't guarantee you anything. However, I had a student at Miami University in Ohio who was recruited by and had the world offered to him by Goldman Sachs. Miami is an above-average school but not on the radar of the NE elite colleges. He's still making millions at 30 just like the Yalies in his team.

Comment

I agree she wants to be a pediatrician and study biology or chemistry undergrad so WCU is perfect for her academically and financially since she wants to live on campus, away from home which rules out Temple lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                  It seems there will be changes coming with each school setting the price.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/201904030179
                  Thanks, but that doesn't explain the difference in the rates for the current academic year shown in the previously posted figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                    If the Board of Governors sets the tuition for the schools, why do a handful of them have different undergrad, in-state tuition rates?
                    IUP Ship Millersville and Mansfield have per credit tuition rates - approved by the BOG, so the number shown is based on an average cost of tuition.

What the per credit tuition does is make it more expensive to fail classes, since you have to pay to retake them. Also, it creates a cost incentive to take AP, or CC courses, or for the college courses some high school students take. It gets rid of the disincentive for summer courses as well. IUP was planning on providing an incentive for successful students of a free credit or two - but that never materialized. One problem is Parents/students didn't really understand the incentives and advantages. But the per credit is generally more expensive unless you take advantages of the incentives, so for a full time student, taking courses in the regular semester it turns out to be more expensive.

Comment

So the campus autonomy on tuition passed yesterday. They have to get approved two years at a time. It also allows for campuses to use tuition discounting. Should be interesting to see if anyone tries discounting for athletic scholarships. That's the big handicap that conferences like the MIAA don't have. It also allows them to offer discounted tuition to out of state residents without PASSHE approval - so now they won't be undercut by Kent State, Youngstown State, and others.

What this allows is for schools struggling (Clarion, Edinboro, IUP, Mansfield) to use the Walmart principle and actually lower tuition to hopefully drive enrollment and still end up ahead. It also could allow PASSHE schools to undercut their own. If a student looking at Slippery Rock realizes that IUP costs $2,500 less that may change some minds. I know Edinboro has to get more competitive with Behrend and Slippery Rock.

Comment

I never got that argument, either. From downtown Pittsburgh you can be in Indiana in 70 minutes (I do it every day of the year).

Comment

So the campus autonomy on tuition passed yesterday. They have to get approved two years at a time. It also allows for campuses to use tuition discounting. Should be interesting to see if anyone tries discounting for athletic scholarships. That's the big handicap that conferences like the MIAA don't have. It also allows them to offer discounted tuition to out of state residents without PASSHE approval - so now they won't be undercut by Kent State, Youngstown State, and others.

What this allows is for schools struggling (Clarion, Edinboro, IUP, Mansfield) to use the Walmart principle and actually lower tuition to hopefully drive enrollment and still end up ahead. It also could allow PASSHE schools to undercut their own. If a student looking at Slippery Rock realizes that IUP costs $2,500 less that may change some minds. I know Edinboro has to get more competitive with Behrend and Slippery Rock.
                          It is pretty surprising what schools do with respect to discounting. Here are the actual average costs paid by students attending various schools. IUP and Slippery rock students on average pay the same price despite the sticker price (IUP has more students with aid perhaps, and more scholarships) while Pitt Greensburg, and the Pittsburgh area PSU campus students actually pay less than IUP. Add to that branch campuses are largely commuter, it turns out much cheaper to go to Pitt Greensburg than IUP or SRU.

http://www.collegecalc.org/lists/pen...rice/?view=all

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                            It is pretty surprising what schools do with respect to discounting. Here are the actual average costs paid by students attending various schools. IUP and Slippery rock students on average pay the same price despite the sticker price (IUP has more students with aid perhaps, and more scholarships) while Pitt Greensburg, and the Pittsburgh area PSU campus students actually pay less than IUP. Add to that branch campuses are largely commuter, it turns out much cheaper to go to Pitt Greensburg than IUP or SRU.

http://www.collegecalc.org/lists/pen...rice/?view=all
                            It could be that the branches - especially those located in economically depressed areas like McKeesport and Johnstown - are enrolling more kids coming with federal Pell grants.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X