Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's still too soon in some parts of the country...As ESU gathers for Spring practice, about 45 minutes away, Lehigh University has had to postpone Spring games two weeks in a row now...Stay safe!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
      It's still too soon in some parts of the country...As ESU gathers for Spring practice, about 45 minutes away, Lehigh University has had to postpone Spring games two weeks in a row now...Stay safe!!!!
      There are calls to end the FCS spring season. A lot of outbreaks on teams. I agree - too soon. You can run spring practices and drills with physical distancing. Competition not as much. Plus travel. Lehigh isn't flying to Holy Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There are calls to end the FCS spring season. A lot of outbreaks on teams. I agree - too soon. You can run spring practices and drills with physical distancing. Competition not as much. Plus travel. Lehigh isn't flying to Holy Cross.
        And to think a year ago, I was getting piled on for saying it was too dangerous back then...

Comment

At this point what's the use of continuing these spring games especially with very few fans if any allowed to observe. Most of the draft eligible players for the 2021 NFL Draft aren't participating in this spring season anyways, and the underclassmen were given an extra year of eligibility so they could do a full traditional spring practice and finish with a spring game. Continue with the protocols and be ready for the fall to welcome back fans and those vaccinated of course would be exempt from the mask rule. And FCS title won this spring would just have an asterisk included next to the team anyways because of so many programs opting out or having to shut down which caused them a missed berth in the playoffs.

Comment

Just football? Or all spring sports that are in full competition?

Comment

https://shepherdrams.com/news/2021/4...-april-10.aspx
              SHEPHERDSTOWN, W.Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Just football? Or all spring sports that are in full competition?
                I think it was too soon for sports that have regular contact: football, basketball, wrestling, etc. Wrestling and swimming really surprised me.

Comment

I think it was too soon for sports that have regular contact: football, basketball, wrestling, etc. Wrestling and swimming really surprised me.
                  Wrestling did have some built-in controls because there are only two wrestlers at a time plus the referee. For multi-mat formats in tournaments, they had to get really creative by having a small number of mats in use at a time, splitting up weight classes into different sessions, etc. They took a lot of measures regarding protocols. Some caused a lot of criticism e.g. you could wrestle a full match but couldn't shake hands afterward.

In the PIAA postseason wrestlers "on deck" had to warm up outside the gym in the hallway, etc. HS made it through but college had a lot of problems. Penn State got shut down 2x due to the Big 10 rules.

Comment

Swimming? No contact, not even in relay races. What about lacrosse? And the batter is close to the catcher in both baseball and softball.

Also - https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pra...-players-staff

And one of the first key lessons that helped the NFL drive forward? Officials learned playing football itself did not spread COVID-19.

"There is no evidence that the virus crossed the line of scrimmage, so to speak," said Allen Sills, M.D., the NFL's chief medical officer, during a call with reporters Monday.

Despite the close physical contact during a football game, genomic epidemiology data analyzed by the NFL indicate there was no on-field transmission of the virus during the league's games, Christina Mack, M.D., an IQVIA epidemiologist and adviser to the NFL, said during the press call.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Swimming? No contact, not even in relay races. What about lacrosse? And the batter is close to the catcher in both baseball and softball.

Also - https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pra...-players-staff
                      For swimming, I would worry about free transfer of the virus in the water. But what do I know? That's an interesting commentary on football player transmission. I wonder if they've ever tracked how it spread on teams.

Comment

So I'm confused both schools wanted to play this game obviously, they're offering free admission to fans and yet playing at a neutral site where both teams have to pay for transportation/food. Why play a game that you're losing money with no kind of money coming in???? They're probably paying a few grand to use Wheeling's stadium.

Comment

Good question. WV overall appears be doing great with vaccines and the state has opened more than most. Not sure that has anything to do with the game. There is a contingency of Shepherd fans going to the game and folks seem to be very excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramhead View Post
                            Good question. WV overall appears be doing great with vaccines and the state has opened more than most. Not sure that has anything to do with the game. There is a contingency of Shepherd fans going to the game and folks seem to be very excited.
                            I understand Mercyhurst not being able to host due to their stadium configuration but with WV's numbers I thought it would be possible to have a game at Shepherd with some fans in attendance as well of course spaced out.

Comment

I think it helped make the game happen. Wheeling is *somewhat* equidistant for the two schools. Wheeling is about 3 hours for Mercyhurst and 3 hours, 45 minutes for Shepherd. It's a long day but neither team has to overnight.

Comment

For swimming, I would worry about free transfer of the virus in the water. But what do I know? That's an interesting commentary on football player transmission. I wonder if they've ever tracked how it spread on teams.
                                No need to worry.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ic-venues.html

CDC is not aware of any scientific reports of the virus that causes COVID-19 spreading to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, water playgrounds, or other treated aquatic venues.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X