Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Psac west - 2019

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
    Sure hope so! That one-two punch of Snorweah & Dinkins sounds lethal. Add in Talley (another former pro's son) with great size on the outside and the offense is greatly upgraded. I wonder if Clarke (PSU transfer) is out for the season now? Lutz didn't mention him when speaking about the receiving corps. If so, that blows.

We won't know until the game is played but on paper it sounds like it'll be a good battle for SRU.

Dinkins has film online. Played very well vs top JUCO teams. Snorweah and Dinkins are going to be a solid 1-2 punch, similar to earlier Rock O's from 14-15. I am assuming Clark is out for the season but certain he will be back next year. Talley is probably an upgrade over Clark anyway THIS season. Long term Clark looks really good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
      Look like some pretty good pickups for SRU. Must stay healthy though...
      Exactly.. Just as much as skill as in any in today's football. You see the importance of stay healthy at all levels of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
        Exactly.. Just as much as skill as in any in today's football. You see the importance of stay healthy at all levels of the game.
        You also get the factor of keeping them happy. They can't all be the star. Yet, many D1 transfers coming down assume they'll be the guy.

I've seen way more irrelevant 'D1' transfers over the years than relevant ones.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          You also get the factor of keeping them happy. They can't all be the star. Yet, many D1 transfers coming down assume they'll be the guy.

Fair point, I get that there's only one ball to go around but there's plenty of yards and TD's to be had within this offense... It will also be on Lutz to ensure that these guys are bought into team ball and winning above anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ain't THAT the truth !!!!!! IUP had quite a few last year that did not pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
              Ain't THAT the truth !!!!!! IUP had quite a few last year that did not pan out.

There are guys that walk-on at D1's that couldnt be scholarship guys at D2, they're there for their size and hopes they grow or mature.

Look at the Rock's best transfers over the last decade, several came from low FCS teams and many came from D2's.

Comment

IUP might have chance to be good this year unless they decide to handicap their program with another wanna be Qb who should've been playing RB for 4 years. Cal winning it all this year, its been a quiet offseason for Cal doesn't mean there havent been some surprise pieces added to the puzzle. Mitchell year 2 will be ready to go.

Comment

SRU Qb will be exposed without that running game, dude isn't taking SRU anywhere with his limited playmaking abilities with his arm. Mercyhurst is just too slow at the skill positions to win consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACHomer2.0 View Post
                    IUP might have chance to be good this year unless they decide to handicap their program with another wanna be Qb who should've been playing RB for 4 years. Cal winning it all this year, its been a quiet offseason for Cal doesn't mean there havent been some surprise pieces added to the puzzle. Mitchell year 2 will be ready to go.
                    Welcome BACK Homer!

IUP is counting on a Graduate transfer from the MAC Conference. He did start at Ohio U for 6 games as a freshman, but lost the starting job the following year. While he can move a little, he is not a running QB. I expect IUP will be a little better in the passing game than before.

Comment

The cal starters will all have felonies by the end of week 4. And Slippery Rock is just a bunch of bafoons. Everyone in the program.
                      Cal team combined IQ: 80
                      Cal team combined arrests: 74728372

Comment

Originally posted by TJ85 View Post
                        The cal starters will all have felonies by the end of week 4. And Slippery Rock is just a bunch of bafoons. Everyone in the program.
                        Cal team combined IQ: 80
                        Cal team combined arrests: 74728372
                        I think the top 3 in the west is comes down to three games between three teams like it always does.

I kind of like IUP as the "hunter" this year. From a mental perspective, it's different. Let's see how Slippery Rock handles that target on their back this year. IUP didn't handle it well last year. I like that they have them up there this season. Bring out all the fanfare. There's something to be said about going out on the road to play a game like that. I believe a team is more focused away from home. And the older I get the more I realize that what's going on in the stands, while a great topic on here during the off season, doesn't impact the game at all.

This is contradictory to what I just said, but it's nice they have Cal at home considering that the IUP-Cal series is essentially a home team wins type of match up. Neither team has won on the other's field since 2011 and that wasn't exactly a "good" IUP team that year when Cal won at Miller Stadium. There's been some interesting games in that series the last ten years. It's been entertaining for certain. Definitely odd bounces, a couple key plays, and some questionable calls from the officials that have happened. We can debate the direction of Cal's program and their demise until we're blue in the face, but I've gone on record here saying that the way they play has always been a bad match up for IUP. They're good at stopping what IUP likes to do and they always have the personnel to do it. The margin between those two programs is absolutely razor thin regardless of what the Cal administration's commitment now is for football.

IUP-Cal and IUP-SRU have seem to taken different routes the last couple years. It seems like every year the home team in that Coal Bowl match up is the beneficiary of the bounce or call to swing the pendulum their way. On the other hand, IUP and SRU have seemed to win the big games against each other on the other's field. IUP won a huge game up there in 2017. SRU winning last year at IUP really propelled them to start getting on their run. Each series has really taken on it's own identify and have both been very different.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                          I think the top 3 in the west is comes down to three games between three teams like it always does.

I kind of like IUP as the "hunter" this year. From a mental perspective, it's different. Let's see how Slippery Rock handles that target on their back this year. IUP didn't handle it well last year. I like that they have them up there this season. Bring out all the fanfare. There's something to be said about going out on the road to play a game like that. I believe a team is more focused away from home. And the older I get the more I realize that what's going on in the stands, while a great topic on here during the off season, doesn't impact the game at all.

This is contradictory to what I just said, but it's nice they have Cal at home considering that the IUP-Cal series is essentially a home team wins type of match up. Neither team has won on the other's field since 2011 and that wasn't exactly a "good" IUP team that year when Cal won at Miller Stadium. There's been some interesting games in that series the last ten years. It's been entertaining for certain. Definitely odd bounces, a couple key plays, and some questionable calls from the officials that have happened. We can debate the direction of Cal's program and their demise until we're blue in the face, but I've gone on record here saying that the way they play has always been a bad match up for IUP. They're good at stopping what IUP likes to do and they always have the personnel to do it. The margin between those two programs is absolutely razor thin regardless of what the Cal administration's commitment now is for football.

IUP-Cal and IUP-SRU have seem to taken different routes the last couple years. It seems like every year the home team in that Coal Bowl match up is the beneficiary of the bounce or call to swing the pendulum their way. On the other hand, IUP and SRU have seemed to win the big games against each other on the other's field. IUP won a huge game up there in 2017. SRU winning last year at IUP really propelled them to start getting on their run. Each series has really taken on it's own identify and have both been very different.
                          CAL-SRU is a bit of a mishmash with an OT win by THE ROCK in '17 giving them a 6-4 edge in the last 10 games. No clear pattern. Curiously this still is not the big game of the year for either team.

Comment

That 'random' scheduling letting IUP play Cal and SRU back-to-back every year doesn't help.

I'm not sure which IUP considers the bigger game.

The SRU series certainly has more history. The Cal series was extremely lopsided for decades. Of course, none of these players were even born then.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                              CAL-SRU is a bit of a mishmash with an OT win by THE ROCK in '17 giving them a 6-4 edge in the last 10 games. No clear pattern. Curiously this still is not the big game of the year for either team.
                              every once in a while it is, I seem to remember a few years back Dr. Evil went with Black unis for the cal game, and pulled a big upset.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                                every once in a while it is, I seem to remember a few years back Dr. Evil went with Black unis for the cal game, and pulled a big upset.

The General thread is having its yearly 'best stadiums in D2' discussion. It got me thinking about the West stadiums and ranking them. Not easy. It's like ranking which dump is the nicest dump.

1. SRU - Good parking and great atmosphere.

2. Mercyhurst - I've never seen much of a crowd there but it's pretty nice since the renovations. Huge bonus points for being a 'no track' stadium.

3. California - Visitor bleachers are horrendous but overall pretty solid venue. Concessions are good but extremely slow.

(NOW IT GETS TOUGH)

4. IUP - Miller Stadium has many flaws and needs a lot updated. But, it has a lot of history. Luckily it has brand new lights -- for the intramural program.

5. Edinboro - Not a bad place to watch a game.

6. Clarion - It's 'off campus' per se but pretty close. Nice venue in the late Fall.

7. Seton Hill - Yes, it's a high school stadium, but it is a somewhat nice one. The visiting team typically has a larger crowd. Nice views of the 'Greensburg skyline' (if that's such a thing). Greensburg Salem actually packs the place. The Griffins not so much. Parking stinks.

8. Gannon - It's just ... odd. That's the word.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X