Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D2 Rankings

Why on earth would a WR go to IUP of all schools in the PSAC to basically catch bubble screens and be a extra tackle blocking 80% of the season lol

Comment

If the rumored player does in fact turn out to be Irvin Charles, I fail to see the excitement.

Charles career stats at PSU are

Receiving
      Year.....Class...Pos......Games.....Rec....Yds.... Avg...TD
      *2015...FR.....WR......0 games............No stats
      *2016...FR.....WR......7 games....2.....106....53.0....1
      *2017...SO.....WR......5 games....1........4......4.0....0
      Penn State Career 3 games....110...36.7....1

Kick Ret
      Year......Class...Pos...G...Ret...Yds.....Avg
      *2015...FR......WR.........No Stats......
      *2016...FR......WR...7.....1...11.......11.0
      *2017...SO......WR...5.....0....0.........0
      Penn State Career 1 11 11.0

Yup, he is a tall WR, but has little on-field production to become excited about.

Transferring to IUP certainly is a head scratcher too. Why?

Where was he during the 2018 season? Why no football?

Don't let the big name school influence your views, or over value the talent added. This is a mid-sized fish moving from a large ocean to a small pond.

I am more excited about JoJo than Irvin. Now, If IUP were to land a short yardage RB or Offensive / Defensive Linemen via transfer, then I would be more excited. Maybe.

Comment

I don't understand all the skepticism about why he would pick IUP. Why not IUP? It would give him an opportunity to play right away and get back on track academically, so why not? An FCS isn't necessarily better.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          I don't understand all the skepticism about why he would pick IUP. Why not IUP? It would give him an opportunity to play right away and get back on track academically, so why not? An FCS isn't necessarily better.
          You guys run the ball 295 times a game

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
            If the rumored player does in fact turn out to be Irvin Charles, I fail to see the excitement.

Charles career stats at PSU are

Receiving
            Year.....Class...Pos......Games.....Rec....Yds.... Avg...TD
            *2015...FR.....WR......0 games............No stats
            *2016...FR.....WR......7 games....2.....106....53.0....1
            *2017...SO.....WR......5 games....1........4......4.0....0
            Penn State Career 3 games....110...36.7....1

Kick Ret
            Year......Class...Pos...G...Ret...Yds.....Avg
            *2015...FR......WR.........No Stats......
            *2016...FR......WR...7.....1...11.......11.0
            *2017...SO......WR...5.....0....0.........0
            Penn State Career 1 11 11.0

Yup, he is a tall WR, but has little on-field production to become excited about.

Transferring to IUP certainly is a head scratcher too. Why?

Where was he during the 2018 season? Why no football?

Don't let the big name school influence your views, or over value the talent added. This is a mid-sized fish moving from a large ocean to a small pond.

I am more excited about JoJo than Irvin. Now, If IUP were to land a short yardage RB or Offensive / Defensive Linemen via transfer, then I would be more excited. Maybe.

Judging stats, sure. He doesn't jump off the page. Obviously. However, we're talking Penn State, and, more importantly, recent Penn State. Those programs at the elite level are loaded with studs. Players often have to wait their turn to get in to a big role. Think of Robert Foster at Alabama, etc. Generally their breakout years are their junior and senior seasons, stat-wise. It looks like his final season there he was putting his time in on special teams. Several PSU publications, prior to his dismissal, projected him as PSU's next breakout player.

I haven't heard yet why he was dismissed. I know it happened sometime between the last game and the bowl game. He certainly has a pedigree to him above what we would normally see at the WR position at this level. If IUP is comfortable admitting him ... role the dice. There's no way he's not going to draw a lot of attention out there which will only help the running game. Keep in mind IUP also has probably the best TE in the league for the next three years.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSACHomer2.0 View Post
                That's true (figuratively). But if you read reports about Charles maybe his best attribute is blocking ability. He was valued on special teams at PSU. He is not a speed demon. The only time I could find for him was 4.7 in the 40. So, who knows how this guy could fit into IUP's offense. I could see him making downfield blocks to spring the running backs for TD's against CalU. He seems to actually have a lot of the characteristics of a TE. At this point, who knows if he's even coming? I guess we'll find out pretty soon. Like maybe today.

Comment

I noticed this mindset a long time ago.

Pitt State used to run the ball all the time. Northwest was balanced.

A running back committed to Northwest. The comment from a Pitt State fan was:

"Why would he choose Northwest when Pitt runs the ball all the time?"

A wide receiver committed to Northwest. The comment from a Pitt State fan was:

"Why would he choose Northwest when he could be the feature receiver here?"

So basically, people can figure out a reason why their team is a better choice than your team.

Why did this player choose IUP? Who knows? Maybe they are going to throw more? Maybe he was promised playing time? Maybe he was given a large scholarship? There are many possibilities.

Comment

As an IUP alum, I certainly think well of IUP and its place in the academic world. I follow, cheer and contribute to IUP athletics, and am an avid fan of the football team. However........................ I don't over-rate IUP as a football school.

At best IUP is a regional contender most years - not all years. IUP is not and has not been for many years a national contender. Scholarship reductions have played a significant role there, as often cited on this forum.

Why IUP? Transferring from a FBS title contender (certainly a top 25 program consistently) program, all the way down to Division II is quite a significant drop. Completely skipping all of the FCS programs too. IF Irvin Charles has NFL talent, as alluded on this site, then "Why IUP" is even a greater question.

Probably wasn't the scholarship money. Perhaps cost of education is more affordable than elsewhere.
                    Not his hometown area. Even farther away from South Jersey (can't blame him there).
                    Not for NFL scout exposure. IUP NFL hopefuls go to other schools (e.g. Pitt) for "Pro Days".
                    Academics? Perhaps, depending on the program being pursued.

Irvin Charles probably could have received plenty of playing time at Duquesne, Youngstown, RMU, Albany, Stoney Brook, Monmouth, or many other FCS programs. FBS to Div II? A Regional power Div II at that!?!

Will Irvin Charles add value to the IUP Football team? Most likely yes. I seriously doubt he will be Div II player of the year. No Harlon Hill winner. No IUP homer perspectives on this addition.

Just trying to tamper expectations all because a player is coming from PSU to IUP. Let his play on the field determine how much success he and the team will have.

Hoping for the best, expecting much less.

It makes as much sense as freshman picking a college because they like the uniforms better.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
                      As an IUP alum, I certainly think well of IUP and its place in the academic world. I follow, cheer and contribute to IUP athletics, and am an avid fan of the football team. However........................ I don't over-rate IUP as a football school.

At best IUP is a regional contender most years - not all years. IUP is not and has not been for many years a national contender. Scholarship reductions have played a significant role there, as often cited on this forum.

Why IUP? Transferring from a FBS title contender (certainly a top 25 program consistently) program, all the way down to Division II is quite a significant drop. Completely skipping all of the FCS programs too. IF Irvin Charles has NFL talent, as alluded on this site, then "Why IUP" is even a greater question.

Probably wasn't the scholarship money. Perhaps cost of education is more affordable than elsewhere.
                      Not his hometown area. Even farther away from South Jersey (can't blame him there).
                      Not for NFL scout exposure. IUP NFL hopefuls go to other schools (e.g. Pitt) for "Pro Days".
                      Academics? Perhaps, depending on the program being pursued.

Irvin Charles probably could have received plenty of playing time at Duquesne, Youngstown, RMU, Albany, Stoney Brook, Monmouth, or many other FCS programs. FBS to Div II? A Regional power Div II at that!?!

Will Irvin Charles add value to the IUP Football team? Most likely yes. I seriously doubt he will be Div II player of the year. No Harlon Hill winner. No IUP homer perspectives on this addition.

Just trying to tamper expectations all because a player is coming from PSU to IUP. Let his play on the field determine how much success he and the team will have.

Hoping for the best, expecting much less.

It makes as much sense as freshman picking a college because they like the uniforms better.
                      Different perspectives, I guess. Bottom line is he picked IUP. So did Max Redfield ( I know he had to choose from d2 schools). I don't think I
                      m overvaluing it but I'm not short-changing it, either. Go IUP!

Comment

It's all wild speculation and unless you were able to peer inside the brain of Irvin Charles we aren't going to know why it's IUP. Could be a personal connection. I noticed that Nazir Streater is from Camden Catholic and Charles started out at Camden Catholic and transferred to Paul VI in NJ. Could be that.

Comment

IUPgroundhog................ fair enough. I certainly do wish for the best and hope that Irvin and IUP are both pleased with the decision and the outcome.

No more on this from me. Go IUP! Onward to camp and game 1.

Comment

We'll see how it pans out but Mr. Charles did catch the pass that very well may have saved Franklin's job in 2016 (80 yard TD). They lose that game at home to Minnesota ... may have been the end of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACHomer2.0 View Post
                              With a QB like Maxwell that is 6-4 230 I bet they pass the ball a lot more! Homer your ass better watch out buddy because this team is scary!

Comment

I would imagine he didn't transfer to another FBS/FCS school due to his running clock at the D1 level being up after the 2019 season. If he enrolled in 2015 his 5 years started then he'd be a R-Senior at the D1 level. Depending upon if he sat out of school last year he could have 2 years at the D2 level since he would have 2 semesters of eligibility left.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X