Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I would have guessed Clarion. Cal didn't really make it the 'Big 3' until 2005 or so.

I seem to recall Clarion winning one in the late 90s ... maybe 97?
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think you're right. The year they narrowly lost in the national semis to Aaron Smith and Northern Colorado.
    Clarion shared it with IUP in 1996, that magical year when the Golden Eagles went 11-3 and were within a blocked FG as time expired from playing in the national championship game.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Clarion shared it with IUP in 1996, that magical year when the Golden Eagles went 11-3 and were within a blocked FG as time expired from playing in the national championship game.
      That year bought Malen Luke almost a decade of employment.

Comment

Speaking of employment and Clarion ... what's the word on Weibel?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Speaking of employment and Clarion ... what's the word on Weibel?
          Honestly depends on his contract situation. If he's not up for renewal, they have to pay out any remaining years: salary, vacation/sick/personal time, pension, health insurance contribution, etc. That could cost $150k each year remaining. Not a good move for a cash strapped school.

And honestly, as you and I have agreed, he's a pretty good coach given what he has to work with. Maybe this is an anomaly year.

Comment

Honestly depends on his contract situation. If he's not up for renewal, they have to pay out any remaining years: salary, vacation/sick/personal time, pension, health insurance contribution, etc. That could cost $150k each year remaining. Not a good move for a cash strapped school.

And honestly, as you and I have agreed, he's a pretty good coach given what he has to work with. Maybe this is an anomaly year.
            If he is let go ... I know Tort thinks very highly of him. Never know.

Assuming he wants to stay in the game of course.

Comment

I think you're right. The year they narrowly lost in the national semis to Aaron Smith and Northern Colorado.

Comment

Comment

A week after beating IUP 49-13, Clarion lost to Edinboro, 48-35. Clarion and IUP both finished 5-1 in the West and shared the title, even though Clarion beat IUP, which beat Edinboro, 20-18. The tie-breaking only comes in to play for putting a team in the championship game, and there wasn't one back then.

It's like the 2011 Cal media guide cover. It says "Six Straight PSAC West Championships," which is technically correct, but what it doesn't say is that Cal shared three of the six titles.

Comment

Didn't something happen with their season and they had to vacate it all? Or was that another team not in the Big 3. I just seem to recall somebody got caught doing something and it was all for not....

Comment

Denny says that's nothing...a few 70's Pee Sack titles got him to retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Didn't something happen with their season and they had to vacate it all? Or was that another team not in the Big 3. I just seem to recall somebody got caught doing something and it was all for not....
                        Clarion beat IUP in the last game of 1992, and then later forfeited the win for using an ineligible player. They forfeited six wins that year.

Comment

Prior to the catholic schools and seton Hill joining Ship was in the west and in 2004 they shared the West with IUP and Edinboro all going 5-1 in Western Play. IUP beat Ship but lost to Boro, Ship beat Boro but lost to IUP. Ship got a home 2nd round game and lost in last minute to WCU a couple weeks after going on the road and knocking off West Chester.

Comment

Clarion beat IUP in the last game of 1992, and then later forfeited the win for using an ineligible player. They forfeited six wins that year.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                              Prior to the catholic schools and seton Hill joining Ship was in the west and in 2004 they shared the West with IUP and Edinboro all going 5-1 in Western Play. IUP beat Ship but lost to Boro, Ship beat Boro but lost to IUP. Ship got a home 2nd round game and lost in last minute to WCU a couple weeks after going on the road and knocking off West Chester.
                              Ahh yes. In my college years, Ship and Lock Haven were in the West. Those were long drives.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                                That Edinboro team was really good. They took it to IUP. Shippensburg never gave IUP much trouble, mainly because IUP's defense was able to stop Rocky's Wing-T so well. I've heard of high school coaches over the years calling the IUP football office to see if anyone could help them as they prepare for some other team that runs the Wing-T.

Anyway, last week's loss to Cal reminded me of 2004. Back then, IUP went on the road and smacked a really good Nebraska-Omaha team by 21, then came home and got embarrassed by Catawba, 52-19. This year's team didn't lose by 33 to Cal, but it was coming off a huge, maybe improbable road win and then ...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X