Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is really amazing is seeing there were only eight 6A teams in the WPIAL alignment this season and a combined 51 teams in 2A and 1A. Enrollments have shrunk big-time in western Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
      What is really amazing is seeing there were only eight 6A teams in the WPIAL alignment this season and a combined 51 teams in 2A and 1A. Enrollments have shrunk big-time in western Pa.
      I think I heard someone say on the radio that public school sizes at A and AA are dropping while privates at the same levels are steady.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Comment

Depends on the location. If they're in a relatively urban area, it might be an option. Some small schools near me are located in areas so sparsely populated that it would be impractical to consolidate them, primarily due to transportation considerations. And most redistricting proposals end up being very controversial.

Comment

I'd like to see Wyomissing win another state title. That's an insanely good program in a relatively small area.

Comment

Happy for Redbank Valley. If I take 28 up to my wife's hometown we pass through New Bethlehem. The high school and stadium sit right on 28 next to the river. Usually those small rural high schools make the PIAA playoffs and run smack into a powerhouse like Farrell and Clairton.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Happy for Redbank Valley. If I take 28 up to my wife's hometown we pass through New Bethlehem. The high school and stadium sit right on 28 next to the river. Usually those small rural high schools make the PIAA playoffs and run smack into a powerhouse like Farrell and Clairton.
                I fish Redbank every year. Great stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Boro33 View Post

Quips do not choose to play up. They are forced to play up based upon success and transfers. In fact, they will be 5A next year.

Comment

I don't mind the "play up" rule but at what point do they stop moving up? As some have pointed out, this is a 2A school by population and its not a private school with a wide geographic reach like a Central Catholic or Cathedral Prep.

Comment

I don't mind the "play up" rule but at what point do they stop moving up? As some have pointed out, this is a 2A school by population and its not a private school with a wide geographic reach like a Central Catholic or Cathedral Prep.
                      After dominating 5A next year, Aliquippa will join the Big Ten in 2023.

Comment

I don't think you should move a school up more than 1-2 classes, which was where Aliquippa, a 1A school that had chosen to play at 3A, was playing to begin with. I think they were playing 3A so they'd have games with Beaver Falls and other traditional rivals. Under the current rules they're moving up because they're beating 4A schools and beating most of them decisively. Interesting they'll be playing Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt in the final. McDevitt, in my opinion, should be playing 5A or 6A rather than 4A. They've stayed away from the top division in the Mid-Penn League and have been dominating teams in the lower divisions.

Comment

From the numbers Ive seen. Aliquppa has 117 boys for this current cycle. 1A cutoff for football is 129 boys. There should be a cap of moving up only one class.

Comment

Anyone that doesnt have PCN and wants to watch the championships this weekend... NFHSnetwork.com is 10.99/month and you can cancel after this weekend and only pay the 10.99.
                            I think you can pay to watch PCN online too.

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing the results of the competitive balance rules being applied to wrestling and which programs would be forced to move from AA to AAA. I noticed they only apply to football and basketball.

I'm not sure it would have the desired effect in wrestling though, unless they're trying to destroy some of the top AA programs. The competition leap in that sport is massive.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                                Anyone that doesnt have PCN and wants to watch the championships this weekend... NFHSnetwork.com is 10.99/month and you can cancel after this weekend and only pay the 10.99.
                                I think you can pay to watch PCN online too.
                                That's how I've been watching it, NFHS. And my ex-colleague, Eric Thomas, does a great job with it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X