Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    Number of college football programs by state (state 2021 population):

Michigan: 25 (10.1 million)
    Ohio: 39 (11.8 million)
    Pennsylvania: 54 (13 million)

I think that's a huge factor in this. The best players in Michigan go to either UM or MSU or out-of-state P5. The next tier down goes to the directional schools (CMU, EMU, WMU) or out of state. Probably some of those kids also go to Ferris and GVSU.

In PA, because there are 10 DIs (including Pitt, PSU and Temple), the trickle-down of talent to the PSAC has a longer way to go. Plus there are six states that border PA, and some of them cross the border to recruit.

I don't think the system in Pennsylvania is set up for non-D1 programs to become national powers. The numbers don't work. They did back in the 1990s, when Frank C recruited against Youngstown State and Villanova and Towson, etc. Most of the PSAC was playing "small college" football at the time. In the past 25 years, the rest of the league has caught up (or passed) IUP. But now there are too many people fishing a pond with fewer fish.

I can't speak to Shepherd's situation. They had ~29 scholarships in 2020.

This isn't excuses. It's the way the commonwealth is set up. We've limited ourselves.
    Harrisburg could mess up a wet dream. We literally have the worst state government in the Northeast for sure and quite possibly in the whole US. A bloated governing body that is vastly overpaid and too many perks.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Shepherd is gonna get there. Give it another 5-7 years and they should be close. Chauncey is gonna make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Number of college football programs by state (state 2021 population):

Michigan: 20 (10.1 million)
    Ohio: 39 (11.8 million)
    Pennsylvania: 54 (13 million)

I think that's a huge factor in this. The best players in Michigan go to either UM or MSU or out-of-state P5. The next tier down goes to the directional schools (CMU, EMU, WMU) or out of state. Probably some of those kids also go to Ferris and GVSU.

In PA, because there are 10 DIs (including Pitt, PSU and Temple), the trickle-down of talent to the PSAC has a longer way to go. Plus there are six states that border PA, and some of them cross the border to recruit.

I don't think the system in Pennsylvania is set up for non-D1 programs to become national powers. The numbers don't work. They did back in the 1990s, when Frank C recruited against Youngstown State and Villanova and Towson, etc. Most of the PSAC was playing "small college" football at the time. In the past 25 years, the rest of the league has caught up (or passed) IUP. But now there are too many people fishing a pond with fewer fish.

I can't speak to Shepherd's situation. They had ~29 scholarships in 2020.

This isn't excuses. It's the way the commonwealth is set up. We've limited ourselves.
    Last edited by Matt Burglund; 12-13-2021, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RockNation
    replied
    Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
    As predicted it was an ass kicking. I predicted 56-10, it was 55-7. PSAC teams are just not strong in the trenches like the top of the GLIAC and your teams pad your records by playing so many bad teams in your league.

The fact that Slippery Rock needed a goal line stand to beat a bad Wayne State team, and your top teams struggling to beat the likes of NDC, Tiffin, Findlay, etc., teams that were bottom feeders in the GLIAC not long ago, speaks volumes.

Recruit in the trenches better and play some real OOC games and maybe you can get to the point where many on this board believe your league is at (but in reality no where close)
    It's mostly due to schollies like the other guys have said. SRU has low 20's. (i believe.)

SRU struggled vs Wayne because of the QB nonsense. Next year will look much better. Is what it is.

But NDC Tiffin Findlay are far better than they were 5-6 years ago, that argument makes no sense. Two years ago SRU thumped Wayne when they were the 2nd best team in the GLIAC. As a whole, yes region 1 struggles, no argument there. Just the detail you used needs to be better. Comes down to scholles and big body depth. Ferris has a lacrosse player at QB... They're dominating with their big guys.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Shepherd is gonna get there. Give it another 5-7 years and they should be close. Chauncey is gonna make it happen.
    IF they should do that, it will throw off the competitive balance of the conference.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    1. Most PSAC schools don't begin to make a dent in the D-II scholarship allotment.

2. Nothing is going to happen that will change No. 1.

3. No PSAC program is going to make a title run until the scholarship situation is remedied.

4. Nothing is going to happen that will change No. 1.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    1. Most PSAC schools don't begin to make a dent in the D-II scholarship allotment.

2. Nothing is going to happen that will change No. 1.

3. No PSAC program is going to make a title run until the scholarship situation is remedied.

4. Nothing is going to happen that will change No. 1.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying the lack of scholarships is part of the reason why SR1 teams are usually not competitive nationally.
    And I don't disagree with that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying the lack of scholarships is part of the reason why SR1 teams are usually not competitive nationally.

Leave a comment:

• RocknTheSnackBar
    replied
    I predicted 56-10, it was 55-7.
    You can claim your prize at Guest Services

Leave a comment:

• CHIP72
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, just wave a magic wand and maybe the money will appear. Several schools in the PSAC have a few others things to worry about, such as whether their university is going to be above water a few years down the road.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    The biggest thing the PSAC teams - and really all SR1 teams - need is for their schools to provide the maximum or close to the maximum number of athletic scholarships permitted in D2.
    Well, just wave a magic wand and maybe the money will appear. Several schools in the PSAC have a few others things to worry about, such as whether their university is going to be above water a few years down the road.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    Shouldnt you know that stuff too?

Leave a comment:

• sheprams62
    replied
    As predicted it was an ass kicking. I predicted 56-10, it was 55-7. PSAC teams are just not strong in the trenches like the top of the GLIAC and your teams pad your records by playing so many bad teams in your league.

The fact that Slippery Rock needed a goal line stand to beat a bad Wayne State team, and your top teams struggling to beat the likes of NDC, Tiffin, Findlay, etc., teams that were bottom feeders in the GLIAC not long ago, speaks volumes.

Recruit in the trenches better and play some real OOC games and maybe you can get to the point where many on this board believe your league is at (but in reality no where close)
    So what is your point telling us your prediction other than you are classless a hole.?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X