X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The basketball game at 430pm almost had a bigger gate than the football game.

The in-game music was a total disaster. The goal yesterday, it seemed, was to put people to sleep.

Amazing the visiting team had cheerleaders and the home team didn't.

I wonder if Michigan and Ohio State gave their bands the weekend off?

I've been to a lot of very lame games at Miller. That may be in the Top 2.
    Agree. It was bad. I give Ashland a ton of credit for how they traveled. They get a lot of support out there. It’s a great stadium and the one time I was there it was packed and a great atmosphere. At the end of the day, who wins the game is what matters most but that was a poor showing by everyone around IUP football not wearing a uniform. Regarding the music, what a joke that was. Obviously Bill Otto was back and I joked to the guy next to me that he must be spinning the Oldies Attic up there in addition to his PA duties.

I assume it will be a far better atmosphere next weekend with everyone back and this, win or lose, likely being the last game in Indiana this year. Maybe we could get Mark Bertig back to handle PA duties as he did in the first Shepherd game.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

They are both really good teams. Obviously. IUP was the hungrier team the first time they met. They had a chip on their shoulder. That may be reversed this coming weekend.

Make no mistake, IUP should have blown them out a couple weeks ago. As that game developed, it NEVER should have even been close, let alone 24-21. Granted, Adam Houser took the dive or at minimum it would have been 31-21. But, that game doesn't mean much now.

IUP won the time of possession in the first meeting by a full 11 minutes. Bagent can't work his magic standing on the sidelines. That has to again be the key and, as you said, IUP's top strength is its OL.

IUP's offense wasn't too hot yesterday. Granted,, they had some nice, long drives that resulted in no points. But, there were long stretches it looked, well, out of sorts. IUP failed to capitalize in the first half and easily should have been up 21-7 at the half. But, as they like to do, they tend to let teams hang around rather than putting them away.

Sexton had a bad day. It happens. Neither QB went over 185 yards. Ashland's passing game was largely dink/dunk. A huge chunk of Sexton's 142 yards came on the first two drives. Sounds like the TE is taking the heat for the first interception. The second one was just a bad read -- WR was there (but so was the unaccounted for Safety).

Defensively, IUP held a really strong rushing attack to just 106 yards. They were laying some lumber on those boys, too.

It would be tremendous to have Dayjure Stewart back this week but I'm not overly hopeful.

Only 8 teams left in D2. IUP is home. We'll see.
    I think IUP was hungrier because there was a possibility they do not make it to the playoffs with a 8-2 record. I do believe you were correct stating no PSAC runner up is sitting out of the playoffs, but IUP could not risk that with a 10 game schedule.

Sexton is here playing for IUP for a reason. He left his previous team after they benched him late in the season for his reckless play. While transferring to IUP, his previous team went ahead and went undefeated in the regular season, but lost to the defending national champ this weekend in an extremely close game. Sexton must take care of the ball, especially if Brown is not at full strength and no Dayjure Stewart.

I am happy that IUP is in the Final Eight, a nice bounce back from last year's disappointing season with 17 All conference players. But I would love for IUP to get back to the Final Four. But that guy Bagent is getting NFL looks for a reason. Could be a long night for IUP if the Shepherd receivers are catching the ball.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by eagler927 View Post

Your post made sense in the first half, but there’s no doubt AU controlled the second half. Our D got a handle on your run game and your passing game was nowhere to be found in the second half.

The game came down to the goal line stop at the 1 and the blocked punt. Ashland played a good second half, but you have to score from the one and your special teams dominated.
    Good luck next week
    The only time your team made stops in the run game is when they brought extra guys. Ashland didn’t control anything the entire game. They couldn’t even get the ball back at the end to give themselves a chance unless you want to count the final 35 seconds. It was there for the taking too when the drive started on IUP’s own 10 yard line thanks to a bonehead play by the returner. They had one decent drive and the other time they got in the red zone they couldn’t punch it in from the one yard line. Your receiver made a heck of a catch for the first TD on 3rd and long so all credit where it’s due there. Time of possession was 37:58 to 22:02. If you want to say Ashland played bend but don’t break defense, that would be a fair statement.

Regardless, we’re done talking about Ashland here. There’s a game in Indiana next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Tdobson
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Rematches in the playoffs can often be flipped from the first meeting.

The IUP 1999 Playoff Payback Tour was proof of that...........when they paid back regular season losses to Millersville and more grandly to Slimey Pebble.

Then again...IUP beat the living crap out of West Chester two meetings in a row in 2017.

So you never know....

1999 was awesome. IUP backed into the playoffs and got revenge. I loved beating the rock on their field and trying to storm that pebble. The trip to ville was memorable because it was over thanksgiving, and I didn’t get to go home. After that almost beat NWMS at their field was awesome. What a beautiful area.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    7 solo tackles. 9 total tackles. 1.5 TFL. 1 Sack. Lockdown D as well. FACTS.
    [/QUOTE]

Is he a LB or a CB? He'd probly be a good safety or cover 2 corner.

Be interesting to see if the weather allows Shepherd to put their best or fastest wr into the boundary and go deep on him. Or maybe he gets another assist from the weather like a few weeks ago. If it's nice weather like yesterday it will be interesting to see how he holds up.
    Last edited by EdinboroFB; 11-28-2022, 12:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Ironically, to your point, most seem to think IUP played a bad game yesterday. However, the vast majority of posters picked Ashland to win that game yesterday in the Pick 'Em. So, basically, IUP played 'bad' yesterday but still won a game about 80% on here picked them to lose.

Ashland was far from a pushover. That was a good, older team. End of the day there aren't style points. One moves on and the other gets ready for the banquet.

To your other point, I don't understand the kicking. IUP has been strong on FGs -- including a pressure-packed game-winner. The extra points (the alleged gimme kicks) are the issue. That makes little sense. At this point, I feel way better watching them kick a 43-yarder than I do watching them kick an XP.
    So I moved up in the standings? :-)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The key thing and I think the point that you're missing is that it didn't come back to bite them in the ass. IUP won. When time runs out, that's the only thing that matters.

One thing IUP has going for it is that they have demonstrated a total team effort. When one aspect falters, another part of the team steps up.

The kicking game has been suspect from the beginning. Everybody knows that.

The defense has been really tough in these important games. They didn't show that kind of resilience and cohesiveness earlier in the year. Mak had a few plays that went awry. Still won the game.

The RB situation is interesting. So far, rather than having the 2 backs at the same time, Stewart was the star earlier in the season and now when he is out Houser has gotten into a rhythm. Yes, it would be better to have both healthy. Houser, with I think 33 carries on the day, is working more than desired.

I do think something overlooked is that in the previous Shepherd game Stewart played a key role in the 1st quarter of that game and helped to set the tone for the game.

Who wins on Saturday? That's why they play the game.

Ironically, to your point, most seem to think IUP played a bad game yesterday. However, the vast majority of posters picked Ashland to win that game yesterday in the Pick 'Em. So, basically, IUP played 'bad' yesterday but still won a game about 80% on here picked them to lose.

Ashland was far from a pushover. That was a good, older team. End of the day there aren't style points. One moves on and the other gets ready for the banquet.

To your other point, I don't understand the kicking. IUP has been strong on FGs -- including a pressure-packed game-winner. The extra points (the alleged gimme kicks) are the issue. That makes little sense. At this point, I feel way better watching them kick a 43-yarder than I do watching them kick an XP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post

I remember my first beer.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Crimson Hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You obviously didn't watch the game. Kick rocks bum!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I stated my concerns for the kicking game in the live thread during the first half. I said it all year it would come back and bite them in the ass if they didn't get it fixed. Well, here we are!
    The key thing and I think the point that you're missing is that it didn't come back to bite them in the ass. IUP won. When time runs out, that's the only thing that matters.

One thing IUP has going for it is that they have demonstrated a total team effort. When one aspect falters, another part of the team steps up.

The kicking game has been suspect from the beginning. Everybody knows that.

The defense has been really tough in these important games. They didn't show that kind of resilience and cohesiveness earlier in the year. Mak had a few plays that went awry. Still won the game.

The RB situation is interesting. So far, rather than having the 2 backs at the same time, Stewart was the star earlier in the season and now when he is out Houser has gotten into a rhythm. Yes, it would be better to have both healthy. Houser, with I think 33 carries on the day, is working more than desired.

I do think something overlooked is that in the previous Shepherd game Stewart played a key role in the 1st quarter of that game and helped to set the tone for the game.

Who wins on Saturday? That's why they play the game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    On a serious topic, the extra points were a disaster yesterday. Another miss and a block. That's real alarming this time of the year and those two points lingered all day yesterday.

Kickoff return continued to be so-so (at best).
    Their punting evened that out.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    On a serious topic, the extra points were a disaster yesterday. Another miss and a block. That's real alarming this time of the year and those two points lingered all day yesterday.

I stated my concerns for the kicking game in the live thread during the first half. I said it all year it would come back and bite them in the ass if they didn't get it fixed. Well, here we are!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Did you watch the last game? If Shep catches the ball they beat IUP by two scores. Running the ball only keeps the opponents offense off the field. All it takes is Shep to stop that run game once and then IUP plays from behind. If IUP gets behind and has to abandon the run then game over.
    Yeah. Honestly thought they controlled the game. Shouldn’t have been as close as it was due to a couple of reasons. We can agree to disagree. It’s not all doom and gloom in my opinion. They’re one of 8 teams left. They’ll line up on Saturday afternoon and play the game. Maybe they win, maybe they lose.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
    Everyone listen all you guys wanted to get rid of #11, he was the best player on the field yesterday defensively. FACT!
    You obviously didn't watch the game. Kick rocks bum!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X