X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's not that old. The issue is they allow it to be a freaking playground for the students and townies.

Very, very few schools allow their field to be used for recreation.

Blows my mind.
    Depends on space. Duquesne, RMU, and CMU all have intramurals and club sports on their stadium turf.

I'm not sure that could cause an issue, either. Could be a faulty installation or poor maintenance. I'll assume the former.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP's perceived new star WR had a simple Tweet this morning -- to the IUP Football account. It read:

Get the ball to Massey

Not something you see every day. He's going to fit right in.

As Keyshawn said ... "Just gimme the damn ball"

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

It's not that old. The issue is they allow it to be a freaking playground for the students and townies.

Blows my mind.
    Walk On U was open to the public years ago but they shut that down. In the 2000’s I used Farrell to walk the track…but they got an all new field and track and that was it. No more.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s probably old.

Bring back the old goat pasture.

Blows my mind.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

There is also an article about the Miller turf. What's going on with that?
    It’s probably old.

Bring back the old goat pasture.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It probably sounds crazy but I am still optimistic. Washington and Major are unknowns at RB. Every season, there are surprises.

Whatever the injuries are at other positions I think IUP has sufficient depth to cover those positions. It still comes down to the O-line.
    Artificial turf has come a long way — if it is maintained properly. I'll never forget walking onto the field at the University of Richmond stadium after Ship had played Virginia Union there in the 1981 NCAA playoffs. That field was like walking on concrete. I couldn't believe they were playing football on it.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Per the Gazette, Miller Stadium has turf issues. They are working to get it fixed as fast as possible.

On this topic, there's a rumor circulating that a group of former athletes are filing a suit against Seton Hill. They allegedly had a huge number of knee injuries due to the turf at their soccer field. It makes me wonder if the turf at Miller Stadium is being blamed for the large number of injuries IUP is currently dealing with this season.
    Seems more than coincidental.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Per the Gazette, Miller Stadium has turf issues. They are working to get it fixed as fast as possible.

On this topic, there's a rumor circulating that a group of former athletes are filing a suit against Seton Hill. They allegedly had a huge number of knee injuries due to the turf at their soccer field. It makes me wonder if the turf at Miller Stadium is being blamed for the large number of injuries IUP is currently dealing with this season.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I can't remember an IUP team having more drama/injuries in camp - ever - than this one.

If you start with Spring Ball, that's now either 5 or 6 players lost for the 2024 season due to injuries. Another (a star player) was arrested and kicked out. A key LB reserve quit the team 8 days before the opener. They were signing players off the street in August. Another whole slew of players missed substantial time in camp due to injuries.

All of that said, the team going to Ashland is still pretty good. It cannot, however, sustain too many more losses. If it does, the path to 6-4 or 5-5 will be starting to clear.

Tort and his crew aren't exactly X's and O's geniuses. IUP isn't going to win games in the details or with superb game management. They need to out-talent and out-physical teams.

The trickle-down of these mass injuries is the starters are getting very little 'live' work in practice. The positive, however, is the deeper depth chart is getting a lot more work. The way things are going, that's going to be important.
    There is also an article about the Miller turf. What's going on with that?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    It looks like Monaco won’t play against Ashland per Matt’s Gazette article today. Several others are still banged up. Backup DB and special teams regular Ezeekai Thomas is out for the year after being hurt in the scrimmage, likely a broken tibia.
    I can't remember an IUP team having more drama/injuries in camp - ever - than this one.

If you start with Spring Ball, that's now either 5 or 6 players lost for the 2024 season due to injuries. Another (a star player) was arrested and kicked out. A key LB reserve quit the team 8 days before the opener. They were signing players off the street in August. Another whole slew of players missed substantial time in camp due to injuries.

All of that said, the team going to Ashland is still pretty good. It cannot, however, sustain too many more losses. If it does, the path to 6-4 or 5-5 will be starting to clear.

Tort and his crew aren't exactly X's and O's geniuses. IUP isn't going to win games in the details or with superb game management. They need to out-talent and out-physical teams.

The trickle-down of these mass injuries is the starters are getting very little 'live' work in practice. The positive, however, is the deeper depth chart is getting a lot more work. The way things are going, that's going to be important.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    It looks like Monaco won’t play against Ashland per Matt’s Gazette article today. Several others are still banged up. Backup DB and special teams regular Ezeekai Thomas is out for the year after being hurt in the scrimmage, likely a broken tibia.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Reading between the tea leaves here I have a hunch a couple of these are more severe than they are leading on at this point.

Cy Clark, for instance, switching to RB isn't a good sign. Granted, he has electrifying speed and moves. J.D. Younger coming back to the offense is a quick fix. Randy Washington has battled injuries most of his career but is pretty dynamic when healthy. Regardless, in a depth chart view, those are your 4, 5 and 6 RBs. The star is off the team. The next star (Monaco) has missed at least the past week. Adam Houser is routinely banged up (and now hurt again).

It's safe to say things aren't good inside Miller right now. It's been a pretty horrible camp.

Add to it the perceived star WR import was lost for the season in his first practice. A reserve LB just left the team a week before the first game.

To your question, no, this has not been a physical camp. The injury bug arrived so quickly that Tort said he drastically scaled things down. He can't even risk playing his starters in the scrimmages.

They seem to be going through quite a spell of bad luck. Hopefully it ends soon.
    It probably sounds crazy but I am still optimistic. Washington and Major are unknowns at RB. Every season, there are surprises.

Whatever the injuries are at other positions I think IUP has sufficient depth to cover those positions. It still comes down to the O-line.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Per Tort's interview with Jack:

RB Kaleb Monaco will not be ready for Ashland. So, obviously that means RBs 1 & 2 (to start camp) will not be playing in OH next week.

R-Fr DB Ezeekai Thomas suffered what Jack said looked like a serious 'lower body injury'. Thomas isn't a starter but he is yet another depth loss.

WCCS likes to play short snippets rather than full interviews (very annoying) but Tort eluded they now have some injury concerns in the secondary.

True freshman Amir Major took RB snaps in the the scrimmage last night (not Cy Clark)

Karst Hunter had a great night and hit a wide array of WRs (some most haven't heard of yet). Granted, it's much easier for QBs when they aren't worrying about getting touched.

Two of those WRs making a lot of noise in camp are Connor Shamany (6'3" 210 lb R-Fr). The other is Tyjier Williams (6'0 190 lb R-Fr)

This team just needs to get to game week. This camp has been cursed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I’d guess he either found some trouble following in the footsteps of Stewart or was getting pushed down the depth chart. Other than that it’s hard to think of another reason to leave a week before the season starts.
    I don't know if one even could get signed somewhere (and play this year) on August 29. Classes have started everywhere. Teams are set. Granted, there could be some roster space available. Just about every team loses players in camp for one reason or another.

IUP is far from the only team to have injuries and off-the-field issues.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 08-29-2024, 06:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    LB Montel Sims has entered the transfer portal.

While not a starter, this is a depth loss.
    I’d guess he either found some trouble following in the footsteps of Stewart or was getting pushed down the depth chart. Other than that it’s hard to think of another reason to leave a week before the season starts.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X