• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Clarion fans? All three of them?
    I know of IUP alumni who have done a whole lot worse for $20.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Looking at the Lincoln (CA) schedule I see they play Lincoln (MO) on October 5. It's in Jefferson City, Missouri this year in case you're interested.
    I have been to Jefferson City several times and will be there again this year but not until December. Had I been there on October 5, I would have made it a point to go to this game wearing IUP gear! I never noticed Lincoln on any of my prior visits but now I feel like I need to go find it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    I think it's more likely that they were simply looking for anyone they could add to their schedule on such short notice.
    They could have just traveled to IUP that week.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

All the more reason for IUP to expand their tailgating footprint. Have a reserved lot and a drive-up lot. The season ticket holders reserving the full slate don't want to be by Clarion fans looking to tailgate before the game - but IUP should try to make some coin at Homecoming and from visitors when you have dozens of potential paying tailgaters who aren't season ticket holders.
    Clarion fans? All three of them?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    I think it's more likely that they were simply looking for anyone they could add to their schedule on such short notice.
    I have a feeling this was it and no PSAC team was willing to help.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I thought it was Lincoln (PA) as well - but its Lincoln (CA), 600 student school in Oakland even a career university pro has never heard of. They play an independent football schedule against mostly FCS and DII schools.
    Looking at the Lincoln (CA) schedule I see they play Lincoln (MO) on October 5. It's in Jefferson City, Missouri this year in case you're interested.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I thought it was Lincoln (PA) as well - but its Lincoln (CA), 600 student school in Oakland even a career university pro has never heard of. They play an independent football schedule against mostly FCS and DII schools.
    What???

Here's a theory. Is it possible they believe they will increase awareness and Hurst's footprint by playing games against schools from around the country? If the games are covered by their opponent's media market it is publicity.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I still can't believe that Mercyhurst exchanged a game with IUP for a game with Lincoln (PA) on the same date. On the other hand, I guess IUP would not have benefitted from playing a "D1" team. Frankly, I think all PSAC schools should have an unofficial policy that they do not compete against Mercyhurst in any sport.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I still can't believe that Mercyhurst exchanged a game with IUP for a game with Lincoln (PA) on the same date. On the other hand, I guess IUP would not have benefitted from playing a "D1" team. Frankly, I think all PSAC schools should have an unofficial policy that they do not compete against Mercyhurst in any sport.

I would have preferred Tort lined up a (home) game in Week 0. I think a cupcake-type game would have really helped them prior to Ashland. And, of course, it would have given fans a home game prior to, basically, freaking October. He may have tried. Who knows. It takes two to tango. A trip to Miller isn't overly appealing to most teams.

Those big games are great for fans in Week 1, but teams are always sloppy the first time out. It could have given them an opportunity to work the kinks out, etc.

If they are in position to play in the State Game, it will give them a huge advantage having a bye week the Saturday prior. Every team is dealing with a lot by then (injuries, etc.). So, we'll see. We may be thanking Mercyhurst for leaving and giving Tort a recovery week.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's an odd (home) schedule. No doubt.

IUP's first home game isn't until Sept. 28 (Clarion). The following week (Oct. 5) is Homecoming (SRU).

Seton Hill visits Oct. 19. In theory, Kutztown comes to Indiana on Nov. 16 (or, the PSAC title game).

So, there's no home game the first month of the season, and then nearly another month in between home games from Oct. 19 to Nov. 16.

IF (major IF) IUP escapes Ashland, and IF SRU can win at Shepherd ... that 'should' set up a pretty big came on Oct. 5. If they both lose, well, that potentially becomes a knockout game..

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    All tail gate spaces have been sold out for the season. Not hard when you only have 4 home games,
    All the more reason for IUP to expand their tailgating footprint. Have a reserved lot and a drive-up lot. The season ticket holders reserving the full slate don't want to be by Clarion fans looking to tailgate before the game - but IUP should try to make some coin at Homecoming and from visitors when you have dozens of potential paying tailgaters who aren't season ticket holders.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    All tail gate spaces have been sold out for the season. Not hard when you only have 4 home games,

It's an odd (home) schedule. No doubt.

IUP's first home game isn't until Sept. 28 (Clarion). The following week (Oct. 5) is Homecoming (SRU).

Seton Hill visits Oct. 19. In theory, Kutztown comes to Indiana on Nov. 16 (or, the PSAC title game).

So, there's no home game the first month of the season, and then nearly another month in between home games from Oct. 19 to Nov. 16.

IF (major IF) IUP escapes Ashland, and IF SRU can win at Shepherd ... that 'should' set up a pretty big came on Oct. 5. If they both lose, well, that potentially becomes a knockout game..

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I have way too many friends who do this ... most of them were high school 'stars' 15-20 years ago.

Funny thing is the kids (shocker) couldn't care less after the first month of the year but they get forced to 'ball' year-round by said parents (who dream they could find a working DeLorean and go back to 1995). What 8-year-old doesn't want to exclusively play basketball around the calendar?

Funny thing is most of their dads are 5'11" white dudes and their moms are 5'3". So, little Johnny Baller statistically doesn't have a real good shot at playing for North Carolina or Duke.

Play sports. Yes. Let kids be kids, most importantly.

I see it first-hand year after year after year around Indiana / Indiana County. In small talk I'll ask a parent if they know how many local players have been good enough to actually play at IUP (let alone Pitt or Syracuse) in football and basketball. I usually get told Johnny scored 17 points per game for Purchase Line and that Kentucky is sniffing around. Reality is I can count on one hand (men's side) how many local players could have at least made the team at IUP in the past 10 years. How many during this time could have actually 'played' for Lombardi? I count two.
    I think we have some of the same friends, LOL.

I coach or have coached high school baseball and football in the WPIAL and Heritage Conference, and also travel and Legion baseball. I’ve heard it all from delusional kids and parents. Just the other day I learned of a kid that skipped a community team tournament (being intentionally vague) because the “showcase” he’s going to “is supposed to have scouts there.” We’re talking about a 16 year-old kid that has slightly above average skills for the area but at best could play D3 baseball when it’s all said and done. That particular situation is a dad with unrealistic expectations. In another situation I had a kid’s mother tell me that “Johnny” couldn’t make one of our regular season games for the same reason saying “We just hope he gets noticed there.” This is a kid that hadn’t played a varsity high school game yet! Get noticed for what?

I wish I was making it up but I’m not. I’d love to see an effort to just get kids playing because they love to play with no expectations beyond that. When I was in high school we played baseball all spring and summer and didn’t think about football until we picked up our gear in August and started practice the next week. We were remarkably average and had a little success here and there, but we had a great time and still talk about it today. None of us was going D1 or even D2 in either sport regardless and frankly, we never even considered it let alone dedicated 90% of our time to it. To each his own I suppose but there sure is a lot of time and money being lost that these families won’t get back.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X