X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Clear favorite may be a little strong but it’s my opinion they’re the favorite. I wasn’t enamored with the IUP roster last year and most of it is back. Obviously a year can make a lot of difference but I’m concerned the overall portfolio of material isn’t enough to suddenly put IUP in the State Game. These things ebb and flow and it seems to me SRU is just doing things a little better right now. I think it’s more realistic that IUP has two losses after playing Ashland, Cal, and SRU than not. They do get SRU at home but have to go to Ashland (which has had enough of losing to IUP) and Cal, and there are certainly no guarantees at Gannon. Then imagine a scenario where they’d have to beat Kutztown to get a playoff spot.

I see five nearly guaranteed wins on the schedule and five that could easily go either way. We’ll know a lot more about SRU after their first two games with New Haven and Shepherd. If they get through those 2-0, look out.
    Tort has no excuses this year (and, he had a lot of them last year).

They drastically underachieved a year ago. Some of that was a perfect storm. That team never recovered from the 'timeout' and never looked the same. Even so, they probably win several more games with a healthy Karst.

As you said (for better or worse) nearly that whole team is back. Some nice additions were added (and likely a couple more upcoming).

I personally think they have a nice bounce back. The program was embarrassed last Fall. If Tort flops again I think that seat definitely at least gets to the 'warm' stage - not 'hot' but warm.

The '23-'24 athletic year was a disaster at IUP. Worst in a long, long time. Football went off the rails but ended well. Men's basketball was ravaged with season-ending injuries and family ties.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'm not so sure on SRU being the clear favorite. They lost a lot. They reloaded, yes, but you never know how all those imports will mesh. Some years it works. Some years it doesn't.
    Clear favorite may be a little strong but it’s my opinion they’re the favorite. I wasn’t enamored with the IUP roster last year and most of it is back. Obviously a year can make a lot of difference but I’m concerned the overall portfolio of material isn’t enough to suddenly put IUP in the State Game. These things ebb and flow and it seems to me SRU is just doing things a little better right now. I think it’s more realistic that IUP has two losses after playing Ashland, Cal, and SRU than not. They do get SRU at home but have to go to Ashland (which has had enough of losing to IUP) and Cal, and there are certainly no guarantees at Gannon. Then imagine a scenario where they’d have to beat Kutztown to get a playoff spot.

I see five nearly guaranteed wins on the schedule and five that could easily go either way. We’ll know a lot more about SRU after their first two games with New Haven and Shepherd. If they get through those 2-0, look out.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s literally a no win situation but not playing means he can’t get anyone hurt in a 42-6 rout…
    Tort certainly has a checkered history of leaving guys in far too long.

Duane Brown (twice) comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    There's some "Tort Speak" sound clips on WCCS's site this morning.

Drives me nuts they don't just play the whole interview.

Because of where the game with 'D1' fell (November), he said they aren't looking to try and fill it. Obviously they are agitated it cost them a home game (against a team they've never lost to).
    It’s literally a no win situation but not playing means he can’t get anyone hurt in a 42-6 rout…

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think it’s a mistake to not try and find an opponent for that week. Yes, it could work out well if IUP had a bye should they make the State Game, BUT, that’s hardly a given. Slippery Rock is the clear favorite to get back there and if IUP drops two games heading into that week off (very possible), it might hurt their playoff chances. Saying that, it’s also quite likely there isn’t a logical opponent that week making it a moot point.
    I'm not so sure on SRU being the clear favorite. They lost a lot. They reloaded, yes, but you never know how all those imports will mesh. Some years it works. Some years it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Because of where the game with 'D1' fell (November), he said they aren't looking to try and fill it. Obviously they are agitated it cost them a home game (against a team they've never lost to).
    I think it’s a mistake to not try and find an opponent for that week. Yes, it could work out well if IUP had a bye should they make the State Game, BUT, that’s hardly a given. Slippery Rock is the clear favorite to get back there and if IUP drops two games heading into that week off (very possible), it might hurt their playoff chances. Saying that, it’s also quite likely there isn’t a logical opponent that week making it a moot point.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

They did ruin IUPs playoof chances in 2016 though, and Lenny was never quite the same afterward.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Should be a exit stipulation in all of these psac scheduled games that if u get ghost like Hurst did u need to pay an exit fee for the home institutions that lost Home games. I am sure there is money lost that was part of an expected revenue. On the positive note if IUP is good and in playoff contention or psac chip contention the week off at that date is outstanding. The teams losing a road game in Erie made out that’s for sure. The team really screwed is Wheeling, good luck finding an opener this late.
    I understand if there wasn't one at the time because in theory, nobody has "left" the PSAC in theory. But this should force it. Make the fee the cumulative total of all gameday revenue from ticketed games that weren't able to be replaced.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

On the positive note if IUP is good and in playoff contention or psac chip contention the week off at that date is outstanding.
    ... or, it could cost them a 1st round bye in the playoffs. There are all kinds of scenarios.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Should be a exit stipulation in all of these psac scheduled games that if u get ghost like Hurst did u need to pay an exit fee for the home institutions that lost Home games. I am sure there is money lost that was part of an expected revenue. On the positive note if IUP is good and in playoff contention or psac chip contention the week off at that date is outstanding. The teams losing a road game in Erie made out that’s for sure. The team really screwed is Wheeling, good luck finding an opener this late.
    Was thinking the same ... if Tort is in contention that 'bye' comes at a great time. By then the team is beat up and could use the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    As of now IUP has 10 games -- four of which are home.

The first three are on the road, with the home opener coming nearly in October.

Mercyhurst was scheduled to play in Indiana the last West weekend of the season.
    Last edited by Iupgh; 04-05-2024, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    As of now IUP has 10 games -- four of which are home.

The first three are on the road, with the home opener coming nearly in October.

Mercyhurst was scheduled to play in Indiana the last West weekend of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Lol true. I know some of the staff at the KCAC. They really 'love' taking it apart and putting it back together. They say it's a real good time.
    The new RMU arena has the same thing (just not designed for stuff like Monster Jam). There's a room the size of a typical "wrestling room" just to store the floor pieces.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Plus a fixed floor you can sand down, repaint, refinish, replace the lacquer, etc. You can't do that with an 80 piece jigsaw puzzle.
    Lol true. I know some of the staff at the KCAC. They really 'love' taking it apart and putting it back together. They say it's a real good time.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X