• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Consider that payback for last fall…
    They took 3 of 4. That's a real big weekend for the program.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He would be a very nice addition. Hopefully Tort lands him.

Side note: IUP Baseball swept Seton Hill in Greensburg. That doesn't happen often.
    Consider that payback for last fall…

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

His post on X (formerly twitter) says he's looking to pursue an MBA.
    He would be a very nice addition. Hopefully Tort lands him.

Side note: IUP Baseball swept Seton Hill in Greensburg. That doesn't happen often.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    IUP has offered Millersville grad transfer Randy Okunju (DL)

2nd Team PSAC last year

Two of his teammates are already here.
    His post on X (formerly twitter) says he's looking to pursue an MBA.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has offered Millersville grad transfer Randy Okunju (DL)

2nd Team PSAC last year

Two of his teammates are already here.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Central Missouri needs a Week 0 game.
    It would be AT IUP. So maybe they can get a loan from Northwest for travel since your school is loaded with cash.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I bet they'd do it.
    If it was a cupcake team then maybe. IUP isn't scheduling back-to-back big games in the non-conference to start the season.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

They'd probably need to come to Indiana, PA since IUP already has 6 road game this year, plus 3 out the gate on the road. Would be a nice regional crossover matchup.
    I bet they'd do it.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Younger and Washington both moved back to defense.
    IUP will have 3 guys in the secondary in their final year of eligibility (Bruce, Ingram, Howard) so it's good to move them back to defense. I think both have 2 yrs. of eligibility left if Washington got a medical redshirt last year.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

They'd probably need to come to Indiana, PA since IUP already has 6 road game this year, plus 3 out the gate on the road. Would be a nice regional crossover matchup.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think it’s a mistake to not try and find an opponent for that week. Yes, it could work out well if IUP had a bye should they make the State Game, BUT, that’s hardly a given. Slippery Rock is the clear favorite to get back there and if IUP drops two games heading into that week off (very possible), it might hurt their playoff chances. Saying that, it’s also quite likely there isn’t a logical opponent that week making it a moot point.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Nice update article by Matt in today’s Gazette. He wrote that IUP has about 80 players on the roster and almost 70 on the field this spring. Tort says he likes what he’s seeing from the younger players. Biggest news injury wise is WR Omar Stewart, Jr. broke his leg. They said his prognosis for fall is uncertain but I can’t imagine he’s getting back and healthy enough to play. Hopefully the kid is okay.

The report on the QB wasn’t what I would call glowing seeing Tort’s quotes. He is usually pretty upbeat when he’s excited about something but I didn’t get that sense from the article. He did say Hunter has made progress but qualified that by mentioning his negative plays. I worry about that because some players just have the about them and no matter how talented they are they can’t help themselves. You can’t take the white out of milk, so to speak.

Looks like there will be a spring game for sure given the numbers and even a possible “game” and not just the offense versus defense we’re used to seeing. Tort says it will depend on numbers.
    WR was a position they were (are) definitely shopping. Now they'll probably add two. The market will be flooded with disgruntled WRs here in a week or so.

Younger and Washington both moved back to defense.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Nice update article by Matt in today’s Gazette. He wrote that IUP has about 80 players on the roster and almost 70 on the field this spring. Tort says he likes what he’s seeing from the younger players. Biggest news injury wise is WR Omar Stewart, Jr. broke his leg. They said his prognosis for fall is uncertain but I can’t imagine he’s getting back and healthy enough to play. Hopefully the kid is okay.

The report on the QB wasn’t what I would call glowing seeing Tort’s quotes. He is usually pretty upbeat when he’s excited about something but I didn’t get that sense from the article. He did say Hunter has made progress but qualified that by mentioning his negative plays. I worry about that because some players just have the about them and no matter how talented they are they can’t help themselves. You can’t take the white out of milk, so to speak.

Looks like there will be a spring game for sure given the numbers and even a possible “game” and not just the offense versus defense we’re used to seeing. Tort says it will depend on numbers.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Clear favorite may be a little strong but it’s my opinion they’re the favorite. I wasn’t enamored with the IUP roster last year and most of it is back. Obviously a year can make a lot of difference but I’m concerned the overall portfolio of material isn’t enough to suddenly put IUP in the State Game. These things ebb and flow and it seems to me SRU is just doing things a little better right now. I think it’s more realistic that IUP has two losses after playing Ashland, Cal, and SRU than not. They do get SRU at home but have to go to Ashland (which has had enough of losing to IUP) and Cal, and there are certainly no guarantees at Gannon. Then imagine a scenario where they’d have to beat Kutztown to get a playoff spot.

I see five nearly guaranteed wins on the schedule and five that could easily go either way. We’ll know a lot more about SRU after their first two games with New Haven and Shepherd. If they get through those 2-0, look out.
    Tort has no excuses this year (and, he had a lot of them last year).

They drastically underachieved a year ago. Some of that was a perfect storm. That team never recovered from the 'timeout' and never looked the same. Even so, they probably win several more games with a healthy Karst.

As you said (for better or worse) nearly that whole team is back. Some nice additions were added (and likely a couple more upcoming).

I personally think they have a nice bounce back. The program was embarrassed last Fall. If Tort flops again I think that seat definitely at least gets to the 'warm' stage - not 'hot' but warm.

The '23-'24 athletic year was a disaster at IUP. Worst in a long, long time. Football went off the rails but ended well. Men's basketball was ravaged with season-ending injuries and family ties.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

I'm not so sure on SRU being the clear favorite. They lost a lot. They reloaded, yes, but you never know how all those imports will mesh. Some years it works. Some years it doesn't.
    Clear favorite may be a little strong but it’s my opinion they’re the favorite. I wasn’t enamored with the IUP roster last year and most of it is back. Obviously a year can make a lot of difference but I’m concerned the overall portfolio of material isn’t enough to suddenly put IUP in the State Game. These things ebb and flow and it seems to me SRU is just doing things a little better right now. I think it’s more realistic that IUP has two losses after playing Ashland, Cal, and SRU than not. They do get SRU at home but have to go to Ashland (which has had enough of losing to IUP) and Cal, and there are certainly no guarantees at Gannon. Then imagine a scenario where they’d have to beat Kutztown to get a playoff spot.

I see five nearly guaranteed wins on the schedule and five that could easily go either way. We’ll know a lot more about SRU after their first two games with New Haven and Shepherd. If they get through those 2-0, look out.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X