Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Article about the new IUP campus master plan below from the IG (probably blocked by paywall/ I just go incognito to view). Continues to include "improvements to Miller Stadium." I hope they are good ones. It also mentions a new turf for Soccer. Doesn't Soccer play its games at Miller?

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...3b8fbcc5c.html

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    IUP Foosball was its best under Welty.

We even won 6 Pee Sack titles my senior year but I bet we still wouldn’t have won the Dixon Trophy had it been given out then..

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I appreciate your rebuttal and perspective. You're probably right. One of my issues with how PASSHE chooses presidents is that no matter what the glaring need is they revert back to hiring an academic. One of the transformative IUP presidents cited here before wasn't an academic, Dr. Welty. He was a Student Affairs VP. That would have been extremely rare in the 1980s because its still rare now.
    To be fair to Driscoll I think Passhe set him up to be their hatchet man - they limited his choices to one's that were very hard to carry off. I liked Welty, though things were so much better off then with state funding, and students and quality of administrators. Plus throwing down at Culpeppers with a professor who insulted his wife added a lot of color to the University.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I disagree with this take on Driscoll,

The thing is, He is responsible for a significant portion of the decline. Remember, the Penn west schools had already started down while IUP and SRU were holding steady or declining one or two percent. Driscoll decided on the per credit tuition disaster, went along with raising room and board rates in response to fewer people living in the dorms, The Punxy campus disaster, He failed to fix the admissions department that was failing until it was too late, He cut secretarial positions several years before he cut any admin positions, so that student services became much worse - the student facing secretaries should have been the last to be cut. He screwed up the HHS dean position/ firing which would have been really important in competing with SRU. Then when the SHTF he panicked and reorganized everything so no one understood the new system while at the same time retrenchment letters went out to a lot of faculty who did not get layed off. The layoffs were sometimes arbitrary, and in a few cases vindictive. Things have stablized recently, the science colleges big donations helped to look good - but that was mostly the science colleges' doing, The osteopathic school ? I hear the last few years med school acceptances have been down because of the cheaper curriculum, We'll see, but its not like Indiana was renowned for great medical care in the area. There is still a decent university infrastructure, and student preferences are quirky, so things may swing back in IUPs favor, but it won't be because of his leadership.
    I appreciate your rebuttal and perspective. You're probably right. One of my issues with how PASSHE chooses presidents is that no matter what the glaring need is they revert back to hiring an academic. One of the transformative IUP presidents cited here before wasn't an academic, Dr. Welty. He was a Student Affairs VP. That would have been extremely rare in the 1980s because its still rare now.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The interesting piece of commercial property in Indiana is where Rustic Lodge was for 80 years. It closed last year. Not sure what will go in there. I'd love to see an Olive Garden or something similar.
    IUP should acquire it and make it into a showcase restaurant for the School of Culinary Arts.

The Culinary School should have a presence on Philadelphia Street, as well.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-28-2024, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree with you that Driscoll has provided calm, stable leadership while IUP takes on water. He also benefits from the masses still thinking IUP is at its traditional enrollment and strength. They've been able to trumpet some nice success stories during the times of campus difficulty, which is much better than the Penn West campuses can say. Is he an exciting, dynamic guy whose electric personality drives innovation and success? Hell no. But Driscoll is deliberate, logical, and methodical and that is keeping IUP from the freefall at the Penn West campuses.
    I disagree with this take on Driscoll,

The thing is, He is responsible for a significant portion of the decline. Remember, the Penn west schools had already started down while IUP and SRU were holding steady or declining one or two percent. Driscoll decided on the per credit tuition disaster, went along with raising room and board rates in response to fewer people living in the dorms, The Punxy campus disaster, He failed to fix the admissions department that was failing until it was too late, He cut secretarial positions several years before he cut any admin positions, so that student services became much worse - the student facing secretaries should have been the last to be cut. He screwed up the HHS dean position/ firing which would have been really important in competing with SRU. Then when the SHTF he panicked and reorganized everything so no one understood the new system while at the same time retrenchment letters went out to a lot of faculty who did not get layed off. The layoffs were sometimes arbitrary, and in a few cases vindictive. Things have stablized recently, the science colleges big donations helped to look good - but that was mostly the science colleges' doing, The osteopathic school ? I hear the last few years med school acceptances have been down because of the cheaper curriculum, We'll see, but its not like Indiana was renowned for great medical care in the area. There is still a decent university infrastructure, and student preferences are quirky, so things may swing back in IUPs favor, but it won't be because of his leadership.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by ShipAlum View Post
    Primanti Brothers opened a location in the Baltimore area near BWI in January.
    I don’t want a Primanti Brithers in SEPA. I’d rather have a Park N Eat.

Leave a comment:

• ShipAlum
    replied
    Primanti Brothers opened a location in the Baltimore area near BWI in January.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

There's a small strip mall in front of the McDonald's (within the Regency Mall property). It's in there.

The Valley Dairy is still in the same location.

The Primanti's is on one end of this little strip and a popular Mexican restaurant is on the other. Those are technically the two closest bars to campus.

I suspect it will do pretty well there. It's not as big as other Primanti's but it's big enough.

The interesting piece of commercial property in Indiana is where Rustic Lodge was for 80 years. It closed last year. Not sure what will go in there. I'd love to see an Olive Garden or something similar.
    You don’t want an Olive Garden.

Id laugh if it became a Wawa. It’s only a matter of time when they finally fully push into Sheetz territory.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There's actually a Primanti's in Hagerstown, Md. They seem to be getting around.
    Do you ever go to Shula's in Hagerstown? It's one of my frequent stops while traveling down that way.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

There's a small strip mall in front of the McDonald's (within the Regency Mall property). It's in there.

The Primanti's is on one end of this little strip and a popular Mexican restaurant is on the other. Those are technically the two closest bars to campus.

I suspect it will do pretty well there. It's not as big as other Primanti's but it's big enough.

There's actually a Primanti's in Hagerstown, Md. They seem to be getting around.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It's in the the old Regency Mall where the Martin's (Yinzer version of Giant from Carlisle) is located...it does seem to be near the Mickey D's and it looks to be a newer addition to the center.

That is what I got from Google Maps.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Question about the location of this. I will probably visit it on my next trip to Indiana (although I don't know when that will be).

Where is it exactly? The picture I saw online in the IG showed it relative to McDonald's. Is the Valley Dairy restaurant still there or is Primanti's actually in that space? Is Primanti's replacing some other business or is it a new building?

Yes, Nation. I think I would separate out the fires from the sandwich but the cole slaw can stay,
    It's in the the old Regency Mall where the Martin's (Yinzer version of Giant from Carlisle) is located...it does seem to be near the Mickey D's and it looks to be a newer addition to the center.

That is what I got from Google Maps.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Indiana must rank..it’s got a Primanti Brothers.

Not that I find Sammie’s with Cole slaw and fries on it appetizing but they didn’t open one in Slimey Pebble did they?

:-)
    Question about the location of this. I will probably visit it on my next trip to Indiana (although I don't know when that will be).

Where is it exactly? The picture I saw online in the IG showed it relative to McDonald's. Is the Valley Dairy restaurant still there or is Primanti's actually in that space? Is Primanti's replacing some other business or is it a new building?

Yes, Nation. I think I would separate out the fries from the sandwich but the cole slaw can stay,
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-27-2024, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Beisbol now 12-4.
    And, that's after an 0-3 start (against a Southern power who had already played 9 games at the time).

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X