X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    The presidential selection process is all the same:

1) Search committee made up of students, alumni, faculty and staff from each union, trustees, a rep from the PASSHE Board of Governors, and a president from another PASSHE school. They select the first group of semifinalists to do screening interviews. Sometimes these are "airport" interviews where everyone is flown in for a 60 minute screening with the committee at the hotel connected to the closest airport, presumably the Hyatt at PIT.

2) Search committee narrows it down to finalists who come to campus for 36 hours. Out of the finalists, the committee sends the campus Council of Trustees the names of only those they are willing to endorse as president, unranked. The Council of Trustees sends a ranked list to the Chancellor and the PASSHE Board of Governors.

3) Those names put forward are interviewed by the Chancellor and Board of Governors. The Chancellor then selects the next president with approval from the PASSHE Board of Governors.

So yeah, technically IUP doesn't pick its own president, but their search committee narrows the field from 75 to 2 or 3. The problem is who has say & power - there are far more employees than alumni & trustees. The unions pick their representatives so you know they're sending fighters instead of people with strong interest volunteering on their own. The same thing happens EVERY time. The committee identifies its needs (i.e. strategic planning, fundraising, enrollment, community engagement) but regardless, the faculty veto anyone who doesn't have a teaching faculty background, even if that doesn't lend itself to those previously determined university needs. So you get a somewhat strange academic whose expertise is anthropology of Micronesia, not how to reverse the downward trend of a regional public university.

Our schools also don't pick their own trustees nor do alumni have students have a say.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Driscoll's tenure correlates directly with the demise of IUP, overall. Driscoll has not led the university in a positive direction.

IUP had a history of super-duper Presidents, going back to Willis Pratt who made Indiana State College into IUP in the early 1960's. When I came to IUP in the late '70's, the President was Robert Wilburn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wilburn, an incredible University President who went on to an amazing, world-changing career. After an interim prez, John Worthen became IUP President. He was a national leader in higher education. Then came John Welty, who was not only a great President for IUP (and later Fresno St.) but was the President who oversaw the renaissance for IUP football (why we are here). Welty was a great IUP promoter. Later, during the '90's and into the 2000's, Lawrence Pettit was a skilled administrator. Then came Tony Atwater. Dr. Front Porch, as they called him. And we IUP sports fans ate it up. Make IUP D1 in athletics! The much-maligned Atwater actually looked good on paper coming in and he had a reasonably dynamic personality. He was an up and comer in the world of college Presidents. A lot happened under Atwater, almost none of it good for IUP.

Anyways, IUP has had a history of great Presidents. That changed 20-30 years ago when PASSHE usurped local university control for selecting individuals to lead universities. Driscoll was effectively hired by PASSHE and he has been a good employee of PASSHE ever since. Under Driscoll, IUP has lost the identity it held throughout my lifetime. Enrollment has been decimated. He is the one holding the bag, so to speak. Let's see if his STEM/med school initiatives work for IUP in the years to come.

I should add that on a personal level, I just think all this "student-centeredness" is nonsense. A university should be that, after all. What else can you offer above and beyond "student-centeredness?"

I appreciate that insight as that was before my time and I was unaware of him effectively being hired by the PASSHE. Early in his tenure he appeared to put on a good face on campus and in the student body, but I don't think you see that from him as much anymore.

I have felt like over the last 8 years, IUP has gone in the wrong direction (obviously it has) under his leadership. I simply don't know enough about the day to day operations to state how much he is responsible for it, or if it's simply a product of the changing and shifting environment of higher education. So I was treading lightly in that regard. I suppose he's ultimately the guy in charge, so I'm glad my inner thoughts seem to match what you provided.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

He’s making almost 500 grand and living in free housing in Indiana. Why quit that job?
    Stress.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'm partially surprised that Driscoll is still at IUP to be honest. That's not to say he's done a bad job in his role, but I wonder if that's the same situation as a coach who has simply hit his expiration date and his message has been lost. He was overseeing the university at a time of tremendous growth and when it reached it's high water mark of enrollment. I think many would argue how much he had to do with that. He also has navigated the university through a unique period during the COVID pandemic and significant decline in enrollment.
    Driscoll's tenure correlates directly with the demise of IUP, overall. Driscoll has not led the university in a positive direction.

IUP had a history of super-duper Presidents, going back to Willis Pratt who made Indiana State College into IUP in the early 1960's. When I came to IUP in the late '70's, the President was Robert Wilburn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wilburn, an incredible University President who went on to an amazing, world-changing career. After an interim prez, John Worthen became IUP President. He was a national leader in higher education. Then came John Welty, who was not only a great President for IUP (and later Fresno St.) but was the President who oversaw the renaissance for IUP football (why we are here). Welty was a great IUP promoter. Later, during the '90's and into the 2000's, Lawrence Pettit was a skilled administrator. Then came Tony Atwater. Dr. Front Porch, as they called him. And we IUP sports fans ate it up. Make IUP D1 in athletics! The much-maligned Atwater actually looked good on paper coming in and he had a reasonably dynamic personality. He was an up and comer in the world of college Presidents. A lot happened under Atwater, almost none of it good for IUP.

Anyways, IUP has had a history of great Presidents. That changed 20-30 years ago when PASSHE usurped local university control for selecting individuals to lead universities. Driscoll was effectively hired by PASSHE and he has been a good employee of PASSHE ever since. Under Driscoll, IUP has lost the identity it held throughout my lifetime. Enrollment has been decimated. He is the one holding the bag, so to speak. Let's see if his STEM/med school initiatives work for IUP in the years to come.

I should add that on a personal level, I just think all this "student-centeredness" is nonsense. A university should be that, after all. What else can you offer above and beyond "student-centeredness?"

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I'm partially surprised that Driscoll is still at IUP to be honest. That's not to say he's done a bad job in his role, but I wonder if that's the same situation as a coach who has simply hit his expiration date and his message has been lost. He was overseeing the university at a time of tremendous growth and when it reached it's high water mark of enrollment. I think many would argue how much he had to do with that. He also has navigated the university through a unique period during the COVID pandemic and significant decline in enrollment.

It's an odd time to be in higher education. I question if he's the guy to lead IUP through this era where college is much, much different than it was 10 years ago. Again, that's not to say he's done a bad job. I don't know enough about the day to day operations to state a claim either way. I just wonder if both he and IUP want a change.
    He’s making almost 500 grand and living in free housing in Indiana. Why quit that job?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP can't control that, though, can they?

Meaning my checks get specifically tagged to football and men's basketball.

I'm not donating to a general fund (sorry to the others).

Joe and Tort have all the big donors so they get all the money.
    Yes and no. The distribution favoring football & basketball is an IUP decision. They move unrestricted money toward these programs to supplement what is already designated for football & basketball. Programs like golf, swimming, and baseball still get the money designated for them.

What sometimes happens is when donations don't keep pace with the enrollment gender breakdown. Most schools are 55-60% women but most donations are for men's sports, especially football. So sometimes schools will freeze or withhold money designated for a men's program so the scholarship dollars are Title IX compliant. Sometimes the coach can access that money for other reasons like equipment or travel, but usually the Title IX "tests" include opportunities (roster spots), scholarship dollars, and budget dollars.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's an odd time to be in higher education. I question if he's the guy to lead IUP through this era where college is much, much different than it was 10 years ago. Again, that's not to say he's done a bad job. I don't know enough about the day to day operations to state a claim either way. I just wonder if both he and IUP want a change.
    On one hand he's given IUP stability when most others are flipping through presidents like fast food employees. I don't know the average, but I'd guess his tenure is much longer than the average college president.

He wouldn't have survived in a non-academic world -- seeing his occupancy and revenue drop off a cliff. It's obviously not unique to IUP, however, so that has bought him some time.

I do not think that should be a long-term job. Ten years should be the max. Things get stale and need fresh leadership, new ideas, etc.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

More so than the event of 2014 was the response Driscoll gave after years of the debauchery ... taking the stance of 'its off campus and not our problem.'

That was a real "F You" to the town when obviously it was all his animals running loose.

That turned a lot of people (who live here) off on the whole IUP community. It kind of built the invisible wall around campus a lot higher.

Like I said, though, all in all the campus and town are like two different communities now. There's little mingling. I personally only go over there for football or basketball games during the school year.

It does make me laugh when IUP still makes all these top party school lists. That's living off a long ago reputation. It's nothing like that anymore.

Of course, the high school kids of today are the children of the crazy era at IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Not sure if this is official or not. Most of the names are on there. I don't see Ridley or Laney. Note that QB Hancox is now listed as a TE. Makes sense. As expected, a couple of other names missing, too.

https://iupathletics.com/sports/football/roster
    As expected, Jack confirmed on the radio this morning that both Ridley and Laney will return in the Fall.

Both had to preserve the semester and sit out the Spring session.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Especially since IUP puts nearly all of its men's scholarships into football and men's basketball.
    IUP can't control that, though, can they?

Meaning my checks get specifically tagged to football and men's basketball.

I'm not donating to a general fund (sorry to the others).

Joe and Tort have all the big donors so they get all the money.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

In the big picture of IUP Athletics, Todd has done a good job. His job will get a hell of a lot tougher if football and men’s basketball have bad years again in 24-25. No disrespect to the other sports on campus, but if we’re being honest almost nobody follows them or could tell you much at all about them. The latest example is the baseball team off to its best start in forever and other than an occasional article in the paper with zero details, nobody knows. Swimming, volleyball, golf, tennis, and some track athletes have done well, but all are revenue losers. I saw lacrosse, or maybe it was field hockey, had a big win the other day. Apologies if I’m missing someone.
    Especially since IUP puts nearly all of its men's scholarships into football and men's basketball.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Todd can count to three so you can't pin that on him. That game, looking back, was just so bizarre. I'll unfortunately never forget it. On one hand, yes, it was a human error. On the other hand, how in the freak an entire college staff didn't know the timeout count is still very alarming.

As for Joe, let's just pray no more family friends are coming through the program. Aside from that mess, they were snakebitten with injuries (season-ending types). At one point they had (5) of (15) out of commission.

It was just a painful year.
    In the big picture of IUP Athletics, Todd has done a good job. His job will get a hell of a lot tougher if football and men’s basketball have bad years again in 24-25. No disrespect to the other sports on campus, but if we’re being honest almost nobody follows them or could tell you much at all about them. The latest example is the baseball team off to its best start in forever and other than an occasional article in the paper with zero details, nobody knows. Swimming, volleyball, golf, tennis, and some track athletes have done well, but all are revenue losers. I saw lacrosse, or maybe it was field hockey, had a big win the other day. Apologies if I’m missing someone.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Where did the AD graduate from again?

Are we sure they were not sent there by Dr. Evil to sabotage us? :-)
    Todd can count to three so you can't pin that on him. That game, looking back, was just so bizarre. I'll unfortunately never forget it. On one hand, yes, it was a human error. On the other hand, how in the freak an entire college staff didn't know the timeout count is still very alarming.

As for Joe, let's just pray no more family friends are coming through the program. Aside from that mess, they were snakebitten with injuries (season-ending types). At one point they had (5) of (15) out of commission.

It was just a painful year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Let's hope for a good (healthy) Spring and for a much different 2024-25.

In case anybody wasn't paying attention, '23-'24 was a total disaster for the 'money' sports at IUP.

Luckily, I think they all bounce back quickly.

Women's Basketball did the best of the three but was plagued by one issue after another all year. Football never recovered from its Arithmetic Bowl debacle, and men's hoops, by IUP standards, was a travesty.
    Where did the AD graduate from again?

Are we sure they were not sent there by Dr. Evil to sabotage us? :-)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    The team released their spring practice schedule today and it can be found on their social media accounts. I caught part a walkthrough practice they had yesterday afternoon in an auxiliary gym. It’s a lot harder to tell who is who when they don’t have a number on!
    Let's hope for a good (healthy) Spring and for a much different 2024-25.

In case anybody wasn't paying attention, '23-'24 was a total disaster for the 'money' sports at IUP.

Luckily, I think they all bounce back quickly.

Women's Basketball did the best of the three but was plagued by one issue after another all year. Football never recovered from its Arithmetic Bowl debacle, and men's hoops, by IUP standards, was a travesty.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X