X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE IUP Football Thread

You da man.

Comment

Aside from the transfer portal and asst. coaches bail to talk about I'll throw out a question for IUP fans.

When was the first IUP football game you attended?

For me it was the first home game of the 1977 season. My mind remembers playing Westminster but I looked it up and the Westminster game was at Westminster. So, it was either against Juniata or Wilkes. I think it was Juniata. IUP won 21-6.

BTW, Westminster was IUP's 3rd game that year. IUP lost. Westminster went on to become the NAIA Division II national champs that year and the next year. I guess the landscape of Western PA college football has changed a lot in 45 years.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        Aside from the transfer portal and asst. coaches bail to talk about I'll throw out a question for IUP fans.

For me it was the first home game of the 1977 season. My mind remembers playing Westminster but I looked it up and the Westminster game was at Westminster. So, it was either against Juniata or Wilkes. I think it was Juniata. IUP won 21-6.

BTW, Westminster was IUP's 3rd game that year. IUP lost. Westminster went on to become the NAIA Division II national champs that year and the next year. I guess the landscape of Western PA college football has changed a lot in 45 years.

Comment

Mine was in the mid-80s. I wasn't a student then but grew up around here so I started pretty young.

I'm actually only missing about 2 home game programs from the 1985 season through today. Funny how those things have changed. They used to be pretty nice. Lately they've morphed in to little, couple page things.

I assume I'll just donate them to IUP at some point. Maybe they'd want them for something. I do get a kick out of going through them about once a year ... usually in August. It's funny to see how the players pictures change from decade to decade ... the mullets, etc. Some of them sat through the rain or snow at Miller. Some look brand new even 20-some years later. Player equipment in the 80s and 90s ... dudes looked like Robocop back then. Today's pads barely exist in comparison.

My other odd item in the IUP collection is I have a huge number of football and basketball games on VHS from the 90s. Campus TV used to play the 'playback' a couple days later and for whatever reason I'd tape the games. The video quality is terrible compared to today but they are still neat to watch every once in awhile.

I have many of the IUP vs Cal basketball games from the 90s. That was THE rivalry of the time. That's when you couldn't fit a single extra human in the Field House it was so packed.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Mine was in the mid-80s. I wasn't a student then but grew up around here so I started pretty young.

I'm actually only missing about 2 home game programs from the 1985 season through today. Funny how those things have changed. They used to be pretty nice. Lately they've morphed in to little, couple page things.

I assume I'll just donate them to IUP at some point. Maybe they'd want them for something. I do get a kick out of going through them about once a year ... usually in August. It's funny to see how the players pictures change from decade to decade ... the mullets, etc. Some of them sat through the rain or snow at Miller. Some look brand new even 20-some years later. Player equipment in the 80s and 90s ... dudes looked like Robocop back then. Today's pads barely exist in comparison.

My other odd item in the IUP collection is I have a huge number of football and basketball games on VHS from the 90s. Campus TV used to play the 'playback' a couple days later and for whatever reason I'd tape the games. The video quality is terrible compared to today but they are still neat to watch every once in awhile.

I have many of the IUP vs Cal basketball games from the 90s. That was THE rivalry of the time. That's when you couldn't fit a single extra human in the Field House it was so packed.

Comment

IUP at Shepherd 11/24/2007. IUP QB Krewatch had a record setting day keeping up with the Rams offense throwing for nearly 400 yds and 4 tds. Most of the damage was to Ken Witter who hauled in 13 catches for 176 yds and all of the 4 td's. Harlon Hill candidate Dervon Wallace had 135 yds rushing and 2 td's in the first half before getting injured. True freshman backup Jimmy Sutch came in the 2nd half and rushed for 119 yds and 3 tds as the Rams ran for 270 yds total on the IUP defense.

IUP really shot themselves in the foot with 2 missed field goals and 4 turnovers. Ended up losing 41-34 to the Rams. Shepherd went on the next week at Cal and lost in the regional final 58-38.

Comment

The first IUP game I remember was at Miller was probably early 90s for a game vs Edinboro. I don't recall why my dad chose to go to this game and drag me along. Maybe Paul Failla? I vaguely recall that attendance was high (maybe Homecoming?) and we had to park over by what I believe is Oakland Avenue near maybe a Photo Hut or other oddly small building. I recall walking over the railroad tracks to the stadium and that impression stuck with me for years. My elementary school band teacher was a very proud IUP grad and one day presented me with hand-written sheet music for me to learn both Cherokee and Scotland the Brave :)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
                      thanks CO-OP Store) in my laundry basket and it ended up bleeding onto my other clothes.
                      Your Co-Op shirt is what pumps the team up when they look up in to the bleachers.

So I hear.

Comment

I faintly remember the 1st game I attended was the opener of the 1976 season. Oddly enough, I do remember going to a JV game that year vs Edinboro because my roommate was DE, I didn't stick around much on the weekends early on.

Comment

Tai'Don Strickland, Farrell, is Twitter committed.

Comment

Comment

Brayden Dunmire, Kiski, just committed to Edinboro via twitter. He chose the Boro over offers from IUP and CalU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X