X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I've been to the Johnstown War Memorial several times. It isn't fun leaving. Johnstown (downtown) isn't quite a ghetto, but, it's close.

You quickly forget about Slap Shot and Paul Newman.
    It’s just sad in Johnstown. They just need to knock down the whole town and rebuild. It could be pretty there with the hills..like how Downtown Pittsburgh looks nice…

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Indiana isn’t depressing like Johnstown either.
    I've been to the Johnstown War Memorial several times. It isn't fun leaving. Johnstown (downtown) isn't quite a ghetto, but, it's close.

You quickly forget about Slap Shot and Paul Newman.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

It's done very well. The main competition is the War Memorial in Johnstown (which is decades past its prime). The KCAC is far nicer, has better parking, lots of hotel options, etc.

The facility in Johnstown is also pretty sketchy to leave after dark.

I do think the KCAC could hold way more music shows than it does now. The KCAC also has a nice (smallish) theater with stage inside. Most people don't know it's there. It seats several hundred. They put the bigger acts in the arena.
    Indiana isn’t depressing like Johnstown either.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Off-topic, but the Monroeville Convention Center announced it is closing this summer, and several of their booked events said they're reaching out to the KCAC. That's good for IUP and Indiana.
    Who knew there was a convention center in Monroeville?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Interesting little item: Indiana High's Anthony Kowchuck signed with ... California

He's a good athlete (and was stuck on a horrible team). Not sure what position he'll play in the Mon Valley. He's 6'5" and about 200 lbs. He played just about everything at IHS except QB.

I couldn't find any indication IUP recruited him.
    Perfect message board fodder.

Something anecdotal I noticed on the Bird App this recruiting cycle was the lack of overlap in past years with recruiting. I don't know if that's teams prioritizing transfers over high schoolers or what - but I saw VERY few kids holding offers from the entire PSAC West like was the norm in past years. I can't think of one kid who I saw had offers from the big three: Cal, IUP, and Rock. Every once in a while those kids would end up signing with the also-rans of the division, which is how I'd notice them. Of the dozens of kids I saw advertising Edinboro offers, only a handful also had offers from those big three programs, and only one had offers from 2 of the 3 (he chose Slippery Rock over Edinboro and IUP).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Interesting little item: Indiana High's Anthony Kowchuck signed with ... California

He's a good athlete (and was stuck on a horrible team). Not sure what position he'll play in the Mon Valley. He's 6'5" and about 200 lbs. He played just about everything at IHS except QB.

I couldn't find any indication IUP recruited him.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

It's done very well. The main competition is the War Memorial in Johnstown (which is decades past its prime). The KCAC is far nicer, has better parking, lots of hotel options, etc.

I do think the KCAC could hold way more music shows than it does now. The KCAC also has a nice (smallish) theater with stage inside. Most people don't know it's there. It seats several hundred. They put the bigger acts in the arena.
    The challenge is that Indiana is just out of the way enough and there are some comparable venues closer to Pittsburgh like UPMC at RMU, Cooper at Duquesne (rarely does shows anymore), Stage AE indoors, and the refurbished Roxian in McKees Rocks. Plus the Pittsburgh market is already getting skipped on tours so they may be getting what they can get.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's sad for Monroeville. What is left there? On the other hand, the KCAC has been a great success story. KCAC even weathered the Covid downturn very well, too.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Off-topic, but the Monroeville Convention Center announced it is closing this summer, and several of their booked events said they're reaching out to the KCAC. That's good for IUP and Indiana.
    That's sad for Monroeville. What is left there? On the other hand, the KCAC has been a great success story. KCAC even weathered the Covid downturn very well, too.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

They used to host the best baseball card show around for years and years.
    I do miss the baseball card world of the late 80s, early 90s. It was fun to go to things like Piratesfest or a random baseball card store and with my dad flip through old "commons" to look for some of his favorite old players from the 60s.

There used to be a large convention center in Monroeville but its been converted to offices.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    They used to host the best baseball card show around for years and years.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Interesting. Kid couldn’t decide yesterday or maybe he didn’t get the offers he was hoping to?
    My guess is perhaps a late offer from IUP. Recall Tort said they got 9 of their 10 key targets to sign the dotted line.

Perhaps they weren't planning to miss and then had some coin available all the sudden.

Who knows. Some strange stuff happens in those 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Looks like Tort added one more today ... DB from Philly.
    Interesting. Kid couldn’t decide yesterday or maybe he didn’t get the offers he was hoping to?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Looks like Tort added one more today ... DB from Philly.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X