X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Is there a need for 8850 gym teachers?

:-)
    Only 136 HPE majors...but the most popular major is exercise science. Safety management is #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Only 136 HPE majors...but the most popular major is exercise science. Safety management is #2.
      What? They need college degrees to work at LA Fitness now?

Comment

It's ironic. IUP set up the Safety program for SRU, as well as the health-related programs, as their "sister" school.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not making excuses for IUP's enrollment decline. However, as an alum it's very frustrating.

Ultimately, though, I think there will be only 2 PASSHE schools that survive, not the 3 that exist at present. Guess which 2 I'm thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's ironic. IUP set up the Safety program for SRU, as well as the health-related programs, as their "sister" school.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not making excuses for IUP's enrollment decline. However, as an alum it's very frustrating.

Ultimately, though, I think there will be only 2 PASSHE schools that survive, not the 3 that exist at present. Guess which 2 I'm thinking of.
          Slimey Pebble needs to go!

Comment

It's not making excuses. IUP's reputation is awful in Western Pa. Ask a random person about IUP and they say it's basically Animal House 24/7.

Granted, the IUP of the 80s/90s certainly earned that reputation. But, that time is long gone. IUP is a shell of its heyday. Campus is quiet these days and has been for the past couple years. Philly Street is a ghost town compared to the days when it boomed nightly.

It's a totally different campus and environment than it once was. But, to the average Joe Yinzer, it's still 1997 and IUP is in the news every other day for something crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              For those that don't get to West Chester, "all" is inaccurate. It's more like four. And as you've previously noted, four residence halls were recently constructed on north campus and a lot of housing has been added on south campus. But WCU doesn't have the luxury to merely raze and existing residence halls and replace them with new ones due to the ongoing high demand for housing from its ever increasing enrollment. Reports are this year they have their largest ever incoming class of students.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's not making excuses. IUP's reputation is awful in Western Pa. Ask a random person about IUP and they say it's basically Animal House 24/7.

Granted, the IUP of the 80s/90s certainly earned that reputation. But, that time is long gone. IUP is a shell of its heyday. Campus is quiet these days and has been for the past couple years. Philly Street is a ghost town compared to the days when it boomed nightly.

It's a totally different campus and environment than it once was. But, to the average Joe Yinzer, it's still 1997 and IUP is in the news every other day for something crazy.
                Another thing hurting IUP is that they don't have any marquis or magnet undergrad programs. Yes, they have strong, affordable grad programs. I know dozens of people who got a great education for a master's or doctoral degree from IUP. But there isn't one academic program that's going to put them on the radar of kids in Columbus, OH or Rochester, NY even as a backup school. The oak grove and Philadelphia Street are great. There isn't another D2 school in the region with a basketball experience like theirs. Gotta get kids in the door so they can fall in love with IUP. Not many campuses have a football gameday suitable for studying.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

For those that don't get to West Chester, "all" is inaccurate. It's more like four. And as you've previously noted, four residence halls were recently constructed on north campus and a lot of housing has been added on south campus. But WCU doesn't have the luxury to merely raze and existing residence halls and replace them with new ones due to the ongoing high demand for housing from its ever increasing enrollment. Reports are this year they have their largest ever incoming class of students.

Comment

Another thing hurting IUP is that they don't have any marquis or magnet undergrad programs. Yes, they have strong, affordable grad programs. I know dozens of people who got a great education for a master's or doctoral degree from IUP. But there isn't one academic program that's going to put them on the radar of kids in Columbus, OH or Rochester, NY even as a backup school. The oak grove and Philadelphia Street are great. There isn't another D2 school in the region with a basketball experience like theirs. Gotta get kids in the door so they can fall in love with IUP. Not many campuses have a football gameday suitable for studying.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Nation. Now I'm going to have nightmares about being in the basement of Stright Hall trying to get some Fortran program to work. Or, was it COBOL?

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Nation. Now I'm going to have nightmares about being in the basement of Stright Hall trying to get some Fortran program to work. Or, was it COBOL?

Comment

The only true one I can think of is graphic & media art at Edinboro. They have a national reach and probably one of the strongest collective resumes of alumni in a PASSHE program. I mean, George Lucas turned over the Star Wars franchise to an Edinboro animation alum. There are some strong programs at a lot of schools. The most reputable program rankings are USNWR and even then they're considered nebulous. The highest-ranked undergraduate program in PASSHE from USNWR is Cal's engineering program at #202. Not exactly stellar. They only rank in business, computer science, engineering, and nursing. There are some specialty major rankings like accounting under business and civil engineering under engineering but no rankings in fields where our schools' strengths lie.

Comment

Funny thing Gannon grew by 10% last yr and while total enrollment isn't in yet
                              they did announce a record FR class.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                                Funny thing Gannon grew by 10% last yr and while total enrollment isn't in yet
                                they did announce a record FR class.
                                Gannon's overall enrollment growth is somewhat misleading. Their undergraduate enrollment is holding steady in the 3,200 to 3,300 range; the growth has come at the Ruskin, Florida campus. I'm not exactly sure of the connection between Gannon and the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater metro but its a great place to be.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X