Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: SUNY Morrisville installs black turf

Hey, now we're talking about SUNY Morrisville, a school that nearly none of us had ever heard of until now. I can't imagine that August practice on this thing is good.

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/news...t-stadium.aspx

Not sure what to think of that ... certainly different.

Comment

Weird, and I don't imagine it would be fun to play on in hot weather.

Comment

That may be one of the all-time dumbest decisions that was not based on best practices that I've ever seen in my life. I would imagine with the first serious heat-related illness, Rhabdo, etc that occurs on that field will make them rethink their decision. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...." There will be a lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          Hey, now we're talking about SUNY Morrisville, a school that nearly none of us had ever heard of until now. I can't imagine that August practice on this thing is good.

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/news...t-stadium.aspx
          It will be hard to see the ball on the ground.

Comment

I've announced games on black turf. Visibility is fine; preferable to blue or red fields. No idea how it holds the heat but it is not visually uncomfortable

Comment

Originally posted by RocknTheSnackBar View Post
              I've announced games on black turf. Visibility is fine; preferable to blue or red fields. No idea how it holds the heat but it is not visually uncomfortable
              I was more concerned about the trend of blackout uniforms. Just like red and blue fields, or white uniforms in snow, that makes visuals tough. Yeah hard for us - but also where it counts - with officials.

Comment

It makes less sense when you see their school colors are green and white

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I was more concerned about the trend of blackout uniforms. Just like red and blue fields, or white uniforms in snow, that makes visuals tough. Yeah hard for us - but also where it counts - with officials.
                  Well, I could only speak for a blue field and it's not visual tough at all. To be honest, there's not that much of a different between a green and a blue field IMO. I've never seen a black field however.

Comment

Those surfaces cost a fortune to buy and install. I'd surely think they (architect / design team hired for the renovation) vetted most of the concerns listed regarding heat, visuals, etc., prior specifying the color.

I'll be curious to see how it holds its color in 5-6 years.

Nobody is putting in a blue, red or black football field without wanting it to draw some attention. Mission accomplished.

I'm not a fan, but, I'm about to move up an age demographic so perhaps that's why. I also don't need to see a different uniform/helmet weekly -- but, that's a different discussion.

Comment

There is no rule that a field has to be green.

IUP should install a maroon and slate field since they are to me…our real school colors. I don’t care what’s in the Alma Mater.

Comment

Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
                        It makes less sense when you see their school colors are green and white
                        Ah, the infamous “black for black sake”:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...form-dark-side

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Those surfaces cost a fortune to buy and install. I'd surely think they (architect / design team hired for the renovation) vetted most of the concerns listed regarding heat, visuals, etc., prior specifying the color.

I'll be curious to see how it holds its color in 5-6 years.

Nobody is putting in a blue, red or black football field without wanting it to draw some attention. Mission accomplished.

I'm not a fan, but, I'm about to move up an age demographic so perhaps that's why. I also don't need to see a different uniform/helmet weekly -- but, that's a different discussion.
                          It drew attention, which seems to be what they wanted. From a playing perspective, it may be even easier to see lines but overall I think how it impacts game play is overstated. As for heat, all artificial surfaces are hot and before they even offered the color I can’t imagine there not being testing done on it. Black absorbs heat and doesn’t reflect it well so the surface itself may be hotter but the reflective heat might even be less than with green.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X