Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of former Bloom and UAlbany DE AJ Simon was reported. He was at Bloom for 4 years, played two, plus redshirt and covid, before being one of the first Bloom players to go the portal route. He was looking forward to the NFL draft. No cause of death listed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...5/73361837007/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nf...024-draft.html

Comment

I called some of his high school and college games on the radio. He was a difference maker on the field. Condolences to his friends and family.
      Last edited by WarriorVoice; 04-18-2024, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
        The death of former Bloom and UAlbany DE AJ Simon was reported. He was at Bloom for 4 years, played two, plus redshirt and covid, before being one of the first Bloom players to go the portal route. He was looking forward to the NFL draft. No cause of death listed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...5/73361837007/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nf...024-draft.html
        Very tragic prayers to his family, friends, teammates, coaches. Early word is he suffered an heart attack

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Never like when schools deviate from color scheme. Plus they are not very appealing. Would of been better off donating to a football scholarship instead of a uniform u wear once a year. Just sayin.
          I will say that Ship's current home uniforms with the blue numbers on red jerseys are very hard to read. I'd like to see them return to the white numerals on red with blue pants that they had years back.

Comment

Football players join others in Make a Wish: https://www.google.com/search?q=bloo...9nLwMH6xg,st:0

Comment

Just heard about former Bloom wrestling HC Stutzman being let go at Buffalo after 11 years. He was a winner at Bloom. Could use someone like him again. Only 79 D1 wrestling programs left, down about 100 in the past few decades. What is going on?

Comment

Just heard about former Bloom wrestling HC Stutzman being let go at Buffalo after 11 years. He was a winner at Bloom. Could use someone like him again. Only 79 D1 wrestling programs left, down about 100 in the past few decades. What is going on?
                I knew he left Buffalo but I didn't know that he was let go. I don't think he has another job so maybe he was. Yeah, I was thinking Bloom could use him. I do know that 2 of Buffalo's starters have transferred to LHU. Both won their matches in the LH/Buffalo dual this past year at 125 and 157, although at the time 2X AA Noto was out of the lineup for LH at 125.

Comment

Hoping that the rise of Women's Wrestling will help to boost the number of programs. The women's teams have reverse Title IX implications. Women's Wrestling is the fastest growing sport these days.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I knew he left Buffalo but I didn't know that he was let go. I don't think he has another job so maybe he was. Yeah, I was thinking Bloom could use him. I do know that 2 of Buffalo's starters have transferred to LHU. Both won their matches in the LH/Buffalo dual this past year at 125 and 157, although at the time 2X AA Noto was out of the lineup for LH at 125.
                    Reportedly there were up to 15 Buffalo wrestlers in the transfer portal after he was gone.

Comment

I feel like we hit on this every couple years. Wrestling isn't nearly as popular as it used to be. I imagine some of that is year-round specialization in youth sports. This also translates to fewer recruits and less attendance. I also think the internet like many things has decimated interest. More options to fill time, easier to watch "your" team instead of the local team, and generally our society is less willing to support a team that doesn't win enough.

College wrestling has moved from dual meets to mostly team tournaments and open tournaments. That gets expensive. Those get expensive. Wrestling has a big roster and it's almost entirely a men's sport, so it's a big target for Title IX compliance in an era when 55-60% of students are women.

Don't forget D1 wrestling is gaining Mercyhurst, a decent D2 program in a region that still supports wrestling.

Edinboro is suffering from finally losing Tim Flynn and Bruce Baumgartner being a lingering presence. Those two brought hundreds of young wrestlers to campus for camps that would feature Olympians and national champs. Their biggest booster, the Troyer family of Troyer Farms potato chips, have passed on after selling out to Utz. After a few years, Utz drew down the financial support of Troyer Farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I feel like we hit on this every couple years. Wrestling isn't nearly as popular as it used to be. I imagine some of that is year-round specialization in youth sports. This also translates to fewer recruits and less attendance. I also think the internet like many things has decimated interest. More options to fill time, easier to watch "your" team instead of the local team, and generally our society is less willing to support a team that doesn't win enough.
                        You are right to say that Wrestling isn't as popular as it used to be. Many HS teams struggle to field a dual meet lineup covering all of the weights, even in Pennsylvania. That is a huge problem. However, you can't underestimate the introduction on the HS and college levels of Women's (and Girls) Wrestling. Like a lot of "minor" or "Olympic" sports, becoming a lifelong follower of the sport is often attributed to participating in it. Effectively doubling the potential participation to include females makes Wrestling perhaps the most dynamic sport in terms of popularity and fandom. See the link below that shows the rapid increase happening in both boys and girls Wrestling in the U.S.

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...me-in-45-years

A big conflict in the wrestling world arises because it is an individual sport at its core. I feel the wrestling community has allowed and encouraged competition to move more towards the individual than the team. Of course, the team is what has made the sport thrive in HS and college for nearly a century. Personally, I think dual meets bring more people into the sport as fans. The powers that be, in this case USA Wrestling, strongly promotes wrestling as an individual sport.

College wrestling has moved from dual meets to mostly team tournaments and open tournaments. That gets expensive. Those get expensive.
                        This statement is misleading. Over time, there has been a movement towards tournaments and away from the importance of dual meets in college. That is primarily cost-saving, not more expensive. Traveling to a dual meet to wrestle one match costs a lot more than taking a team to a tourney to get 4-5 matches. It is cost that drove the move towards tournament competition. However, big time dual meets (my school vs. your school) have made a resurgence in recent years. The B1G, the Big 12, other schools like LHU, and even Clarion have revived interest in dual meets. Try to get a ticket to PSU/Iowa, whether it is in State College or Iowa City.

Wrestling has a big roster and it's almost entirely a men's sport, so it's a big target for Title IX compliance in an era when 55-60% of students are women.
                        Title IX is the main culprit contributing to the reduction of college programs. But that is a really old argument. The phenomena currently is the introduction of Women's Wrestling. That is changing the entire dynamic.

Don't forget D1 wrestling is gaining Mercyhurst, a decent D2 program in a region that still supports wrestling.
                        That is true but it is a blip in the overall picture. Plus, it's not clear what direction the program will go. Will they be accepted by the MAC or the EIWA? Is it possible that they will eliminate the program altogether and focus on other sports? I am not sure they have the answers themselves to this. Not to mention that they are getting hammered by Gannon in their backyard.

Edinboro is suffering from finally losing Tim Flynn and Bruce Baumgartner being a lingering presence. Those two brought hundreds of young wrestlers to campus for camps that would feature Olympians and national champs. Their biggest booster, the Troyer family of Troyer Farms potato chips, have passed on after selling out to Utz. After a few years, Utz drew down the financial support of Troyer Farms.
                        Setting aside the programs that have been disbanded, I don't think there is a D1 program in the country that has taken a fall like Edinboro. Going from a perennial top 10 team to where they are now (a non-entity) is disappointing. But that program was the work of the Baumgartner/Flynn regime, as you mentioned. Beneath that, there appears to be little support for the program. Not the kind of support that you have at LHU and Clarion.

For the record and to put things into perspective neither Edinboro, Clarion, or Bloomsburg scored a point at the NCAA championship. Mostly by virtue of Anthony Noto's 3rd place finish, Lock Haven finished in a tie for 26th with Indiana (Bloomington), Navy, and Pitt.
                        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 04-28-2024, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Reportedly there were up to 15 Buffalo wrestlers in the transfer portal after he was gone.
                          I don't know what happened with Stutzman. After reading the message boards it seems nobody knows. Apparently, he had disagreements with the administration. Yes, it seems like the entire team is jumping ship.

Comment

I don't know what happened with Stutzman. After reading the message boards it seems nobody knows. Apparently, he had disagreements with the administration. Yes, it seems like the entire team is jumping ship.

2019 he was coach of the year in the MAC and removed now. Wrestlers said he was fighting for them due to mistreatment and neglect by UB Athletics..
                            https://www.ubspectrum.com/article/2...omplaints-2024

This is the most action on the Bloom message board in a while.

Comment

You are right to say that Wrestling isn't as popular as it used to be. Many HS teams struggle to field a dual meet lineup covering all of the weights, even in Pennsylvania. That is a huge problem. However, you can't underestimate the introduction on the HS and college levels of Women's (and Girls) Wrestling. Like a lot of "minor" or "Olympic" sports, becoming a lifelong follower of the sport is often attributed to participating in it. Effectively doubling the potential participation to include females makes Wrestling perhaps the most dynamic sport in terms of popularity and fandom. See the link below that shows the rapid increase happening in both boys and girls Wrestling in the U.S.

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...me-in-45-years

A big conflict in the wrestling world arises because it is an individual sport at its core. I feel the wrestling community has allowed and encouraged competition to move more towards the individual than the team. Of course, the team is what has made the sport thrive in HS and college for nearly a century. Personally, I think dual meets bring more people into the sport as fans. The powers that be, in this case USA Wrestling, strongly promotes wrestling as an individual sport.

This statement is misleading. Over time, there has been a movement towards tournaments and away from the importance of dual meets in college. That is primarily cost-saving, not more expensive. Traveling to a dual meet to wrestle one match costs a lot more than taking a team to a tourney to get 4-5 matches. It is cost that drove the move towards tournament competition. However, big time dual meets (my school vs. your school) have made a resurgence in recent years. The B1G, the Big 12, other schools like LHU, and even Clarion have revived interest in dual meets. Try to get a ticket to PSU/Iowa, whether it is in State College or Iowa City.

Title IX is the main culprit contributing to the reduction of college programs. But that is a really old argument. The phenomena currently is the introduction of Women's Wrestling. That is changing the entire dynamic.

That is true but it is a blip in the overall picture. Plus, it's not clear what direction the program will go. Will they be accepted by the MAC or the EIWA? Is it possible that they will eliminate the program altogether and focus on other sports? I am not sure they have the answers themselves to this. Not to mention that they are getting hammered by Gannon in their backyard.

Setting aside the programs that have been disbanded, I don't think there is a D1 program in the country that has taken a fall like Edinboro. Going from a perennial top 10 team to where they are now (a non-entity) is disappointing. But that program was the work of the Baumgartner/Flynn regime, as you mentioned. Beneath that, there appears to be little support for the program. Not the kind of support that you have at LHU and Clarion.

For the record and to put things into perspective neither Edinboro, Clarion, or Bloomsburg scored a point at the NCAA championship. Mostly by virtue of Anthony Noto's 3rd place finish, Lock Haven finished in a tie for 26th with Indiana (Bloomington), Navy, and Pitt.
                              Good points. I think part of the problem in high school has been too few wrestlers for too many weight classes. I don't know what the current number is, but I know the PIAA went from 14 to 13 weight classes a couple of years back to help reduce the huge number of matches with forfeits. It's hard to maintain a deep roster today, because kids are likely to quit if they don't win a starting position. That hurts you in the wrestling room and, if you get injuries during the season, you can end up not being able to cover all the weights. It's a shame because giving up too many forfeits kills the concept of wrestling as a team sport. Kids who wrestle on a team that gives up more than a forfeit or two a match are basically wrestling for individual achievement.

Comment

2019 he was coach of the year in the MAC and removed now. Wrestlers said he was fighting for them due to mistreatment and neglect by UB Athletics..
                                https://www.ubspectrum.com/article/2...omplaints-2024

This is the most action on the Bloom message board in a while.
                                Thanks for the article. A UB alum with 150 dual meet wins and they just let him go.

I did pick up this quote from him in another UB article. Hopefully, he lands somewhere. I don't know if he would be right for Bloom today.

“I’m not a nine-to-five guy, I’m a combative guy,” Stutzman told The Spectrum in 2022. “I coach wrestling and that’s all I want to do. I can’t do anything else in life.”

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X