Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA okay with paying athletes.

https://www.pressenterpriseonline.co...oogle_vignette

Scholarship limits by sport will be replaced by roster restrictions.

I think in FBS where theoretically every roster player has a full scholarship, the roster limit is the de facto scholarship limit. The problem will be with where that limit is. Honestly, between injuries and redshirts, 100 players should be enough for football.

But...paying players has some interesting consequences from the perspective of employment regulations and university policies. For example, how are these payments taxed? Are they 1099 employees or university staff? If they're 1099, they're going to get the full lump sum then be responsible for the full amount of taxes on it. We're going to have Heisman Trophy finalists facing tax evasion charges. I know this because at every step of my career working at universities, athletes get over-awarded money to get a refund check to cover off campus living. A lot of kids have never received a $4,000 check before, go and blow it on stupid stuff, then are being taken to court for unpaid rent or they're visiting the campus food bank because they don't have money for food to make it through the semester. If they're university employees, then they get a tuition waiver based on their status as full time or part time. That tuition waiver is also a taxable benefit. If they don't get a scholarship anymore and just the stipend, then are they going to pay the rest of their bill or spend the money?

Clearly this is all a ruse to create a greater separation between the power conferences and the rest of the pack. FBS football is broken because people got greedy and money is influencing really dumb decisions. The people want Toledo to upset Georgia, not a battle of 3-9 ACC teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      https://www.pressenterpriseonline.co...oogle_vignette

Scholarship limits by sport will be replaced by roster restrictions.
      What to say about this? This is huge but I don't see many posters taking a position on it.

Personally, my view is very negative. I have watched the increasing drive towards professionalizing amateur sports throughout my lifetime. In general, when things start to be driven solely by the dollar bill there is a decline in the integrity and value of the institution. Institutions are what drives our culture to develop. Individuals are a subset of institutions. The individual is what it is only because of the existence of the institution. It's not the other way around.

College athletics has been a great American institution. College athletics has fulfilled a mission in the development of extraordinary individuals who, by the thousands, have made great contributions to American society. They didn't play college sports just for the money. Take Mansfield, PA native Tom McMillen, who the article says is an advocate for the D1 athletic directors. I wonder what his professional life would have been like had he been "bought" as a HS senior at Mansfield, PA HS. Would he have become a Rhodes Scholar and U.S. Congressman, influencing on so many important issues? Or, would he have just ended up as a rich former basketball player?

As we know, the overwhelming majority of athletes, even at the biggest schools, are not going to be able to rely on their athletic prowess for their lifetimes. Dangling money, and money alone, in front of all these kids and their families isn't going to end well. I can guarantee that.

Comment

BTW, the title of this thread "NCAA okay with paying athletes" isn't entirely true. As it states in the article, the schools and the NCAA are being forced into this stuff by the lawyers. Lawyers and lawsuits are driving this. I believe in the law but it can also be perverted.

Comment

So, with this new action, a player will go from going to a college and playing football for that college, to basically being owned as property by the college. Not a fan of what's happening. Unfortunately, I believe it will transform a great sport into to one which will have more and more schools struggling financially to the point that they have to do away with their football programs, all $imply fueled by greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
            So, with this new action, a player will go from going to a college and playing football for that college, to basically being owned as property by the college. Not a fan of what's happening. Unfortunately, I believe it will transform a great sport into to one which will have more and more schools struggling financially to the point that they have to do away with their football programs, all $imply fueled by greed.
            I imagine they'll be employees - but what type of employees will be a tell. In PASSHE, nearly every employee is unionized. In some states will the players unionize? In many southern states, all employees are at will and can be terminated at any time without cause. Players won't like that, but that's exactly what employees in those states have been saying for years.

Like I said before, they'll most likely be 1099 independent contractor employees. I'm not sure if there are states that grant 1099s rights like usual employees. For example, does this qualify them for benefits like health insurance, retirement programs, or tuition waivers? A lot of schools would say a full time university employee, 1099 or not, can't live in the dorms. I imagine there's a real estate developer ready to fully fund a private apartment complex exclusively for players in College Station.

Comment

How are the teams in The See Everyone Cheat Conference going to cheat now?

Comment

What about the service academies (Army, Navy, Air Force), can those athletes get paid now?

Just wondering

Comment

So it's now basically, hey, my mercenaries are better than your mercenaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                    So it's now basically, hey, my mercenaries are better than your mercenaries.
                    To me it’s more like we’ll know the actual payrolls of the top teams instead of pretending they didn’t exist…

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

To me it’s more like we’ll know the actual payrolls of the top teams instead of pretending they didn’t exist…
                      OK. So now it's my mercenaries are better than your mercenaries, but we know more about how much they're getting paid. Doesn't change what's going on, and what has been going on for quite a while. Student-athletes, indeed. P5 football is now a full-on professional sport.

Comment

I wonder what the salary caps will be. It will make the team hopping even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

OK. So now it's my mercenaries are better than your mercenaries, but we know more about how much they're getting paid. Doesn't change what's going on, and what has been going on for quite a while. Student-athletes, indeed. P5 football is now a full-on professional sport.
                          Thank you. And why should this type of a system be sponsored by our great universities?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Thank you. And why should this type of a system be sponsored by our great universities?
                            The "great universities" ditched any remnant of academic integrity many years ago. Schools are about two things: Woke and sports, probably in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post

The "great universities" ditched any remnant of academic integrity many years ago. Schools are about two things: Woke and sports, probably in that order.
                              Ok, I guess if that's what you see.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X