Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Augs Coach Fired

St Augs has fired their first year coach after 6 games. He allegedly play an ineligible player against VSU in week 3, it obviously didn't make a difference as they lost 55-12.

https://hbcugameday.com/2023/10/13/s...ter-six-games/

WOW! I thought WSSU had a "black cloud" over it's program but St. Aug seems to have worst "JuJu" than us. Can we give them Massey and a future coach to named later? Just saying!!

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
      WOW! I thought WSSU had a "black cloud" over it's program but St. Aug seems to have worst "JuJu" than us. Can we give them Massey and a future coach to named later? Just saying!!
      This is the curse of Pup Williams. St Augs won't be good again until they do right by him. Lol

Comment

Legal, I really believe in that kind of Karma! Some "wrongs" have to be corrected! Massey undercut Boulware regarding what transpired with the fight that ultimately got him fired and WSSU has been dealing with the fallout ever since!

Comment

Heard formal Coach Feggins is really talking about the bad conditions on campus for the student athletes / football players at St Augs on their local media channels.

Comment

I will tell you that the new head coach Jody Owens is a good person. Those young men will learn as much off the field as on it. Homer comment he knows what a winning program looks like and what it takes to get there. Obviously, there are significant built in advantages at Pitt that St. Augs doesn't have. But Owens knows where to start.

Comment

St Augs has some problems going on with presently being on probation for accreditation (to be reviewed again in December), amd a falling enrollment which has dropped from around 1,500 not all that long ago to now less than 1,000.
              ​​​​
              Last edited by Eagle74; 10-18-2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I really feel bad for these tiny HBCUs like St. Aug. No money, no alumni support, their own state doesn't care about them. It's remarkable that they even keep the doors open, nevermind having athletic programs. This could be St. Paul all over again in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                  I really feel bad for these tiny HBCUs like St. Aug. No money, no alumni support, their own state doesn't care about them. It's remarkable that they even keep the doors open, nevermind having athletic programs. This could be St. Paul all over again in a few years.
                  I believe leadership was part of St Paul's downfall. St Augs recently reached an agreement worth $75 million to lease part of their campus long term to public developers to build mixed use housing beside their football field. That equates to over $75,000 per enrolled student. Let's see how that influx of money works out.. I was told that St Augs in NC receives a pretty good amount of funding from Blue Cross / Blue Shield, the Omnibus Funding Bill, $7 million from the state of NC through the Covid relief funding, $$$$ from the USD of E, Federal funding, etc. The state of NC's leadership is trying it's best to garner funding for HBCUs through the proposed gambling programs. So the state is doing it's part in trying to keep the struggling private institution afloat. All in all, you would think that they would be in great shape,

Comment

Something really bothers me about the state doing so much to keep a private school open. Although I like the effort being put towards an HBCU.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
                      Something really bothers me about the state doing so much to keep a private school open. Although I like the effort being put towards an HBCU.
                      Not going to lie. Something isn't right about a state supporting a private school BUT it was because of the state this school even had to start.

Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I believe leadership was part of St Paul's downfall. St Augs recently reached an agreement worth $75 million to lease part of their campus long term to public developers to build mixed use housing beside their football field. That equates to over $75,000 per enrolled student. Let's see how that influx of money works out.. I was told that St Augs in NC receives a pretty good amount of funding from Blue Cross / Blue Shield, the Omnibus Funding Bill, $7 million from the state of NC through the Covid relief funding, $$$$ from the USD of E, Federal funding, etc. The state of NC's leadership is trying it's best to garner funding for HBCUs through the proposed gambling programs. So the state is doing it's part in trying to keep the struggling private institution afloat. All in all, you would think that they would be in great shape,
                        Great to hear. I would have liked if St. Aug didn't have to sell property but I hope it works out for the best. God knows we don't need another HBCU to close. You already got black folks talking about we don't need them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Great to hear. I would have liked if St. Aug didn't have to sell property but I hope it works out for the best. God knows we don't need another HBCU to close. You already got black folks talking about we don't need them anymore.
                          It's a lease agreement which means St Augs will retain ownership, while receiving ongoing payments. Wouldn't surprise me to see them lease even more of their vacant land located in the booming downtown Raleigh area. $$$$$$

Comment

More drama at St. Aug's: https://news.yahoo.com/st-augustine-...041800747.html

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                              At this point a merger of Shaw and St Augs seems like it would be the best long term strategy for these schools to survive. Not sure if the religious affiliations would prevent it, but I don’t believe they are funded as heavily by the respective churches as say The AME Zion church funds Livingstone.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X