Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf_13 View Post
    Any word on building out a stadium? I did find the link below but it is from 2016. Moving on campus is the better long term play.

https://www.wuwf.org/local-news/2016...1-million-gift
    That rendering was from the original "master plan" for the upgrading of basically all campus facilities. I believe they planned for a 30k seat stadium and I'm not sure if you can even still find the original plans on the UWF website.

Comment

Playing an NAIA team that hasn't had a winning season in 5 years will hurt even more than an FCS school. In the grand scheme of things it all comes down to winning, all they can do is play the team in front of them. Coach Shinnick has proven all he has to do is get into the playoffs so seeding in my opinion doesn't really matter.

Comment

Even if the Argos run the table and get the #1 seed in SR2 there is no way the NCAA is going to allow them to host a playoff game without permanent seating.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Like building a stadium? Lol. Yes. Other than the field, they are starting from scratch. Reminds me of about 2009 when Hugh Freeze was the coach at Lambuth and they were in the GSC. They literally had couches around their field for people to sit on! Lol.
          Yes. Like building a stadium. Surely the powers that be have a plan.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
            Even if the Argos run the table and get the #1 seed in SR2 there is no way the NCAA is going to allow them to host a playoff game without permanent seating.
            I'm pretty sure if we do, Blue Wahoo will let us host there.

Comment

What's the best local football stadium?

Comment

Playing an NAIA team that hasn't had a winning season in 5 years will hurt even more than an FCS school. In the grand scheme of things it all comes down to winning, all they can do is play the team in front of them. Coach Shinnick has proven all he has to do is get into the playoffs so seeding in my opinion doesn't really matter.
                Oh I agree wholeheartedly. My point is like you said, you can only play who will play you. Just go win. Win them all and there are no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by GOX1 View Post

I'm pretty sure if we do, Blue Wahoo will let us host there.
                  You're probably right, but after last years home playoff game, maybe it's better if the Argos play all of their playoff games on the road in the stormtrooper whites.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Like building a stadium? Lol. Yes. Other than the field, they are starting from scratch. Reminds me of about 2009 when Hugh Freeze was the coach at Lambuth and they were in the GSC. They literally had couches around their field for people to sit on! Lol.
                    Lambuth football never played in the GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Lambuth football never played in the GSC.

Not officially, but they wanted to. They played 5 GSC teams in 2010.

https://www.al.com/sports/2011/02/gu..._could_ad.html
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

You're probably right, but after last years home playoff game, maybe it's better if the Argos play all of their playoff games on the road in the stormtrooper whites.

159%!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree that the Argos need to build a home stadium like the one envisioned in the master plan and the sooner the better. However, there are positives to Pen Air Field now even with large bleachers. My thoughts on the pros and cons of Blue Wahoo vs. Pen Air Field in 2022.

1. Scenery- Sunsets are better at Blue Wahoo and the waterfront view is stunning compared to the hilly woods of the UWF campus. However, the Blue Wahoo field is oriented West-East and Pen Air is North-South, which means those glorious sunsets are directly in the eyes of the players when playing towards the west end zone. Not the case at Pen Air Field.

2. Tailgating, food, nightlife- The tailgating and parking areas at both locations are large and can accommodate large crowds. The food at Blue Wahoo is more upscale and there are multiple downtown restaurants and clubs within walking distance for before and after game activities. Blue Wahoo sells beer and the beer and food options at PenAir are yet to be determined for 2022 and there are no restaurants or clubs within walking distance. The downtown businesses may scream for one special game and playoff games at Blue Wahoo with the rest on campus while the on campus stadium is built.

3. Field- PenAir Field is a high tech, modern turf field designed specifically for football with built in drainage, spacious end zone areas and shock absorbing field. It is superior in terms of playability, comfort and safety for the players compared to the shoehorned baseball field at Blue Wahoo that has barrier walls next to the end zone lines, temporary turf on an infield and the press box in the corner of the end zone. Pen Air Field was designed and located for a future modern football stadium to be built around it.

4. Locker Rooms-The home and visiting locker rooms at UWF are much larger, better equipped and newer than the ones at Blue Wahoo that were designed for a small roster baseball team and not a large roster football team.

5. Video Board- As nice as the video board at Blue Wahoo is for the home side, it is a neck twister for the visitors and the audio is terrible on the visiting side. The temporary video screen the school used at the home game last year was much better positioned for all fans and was larger than the Blue Wahoo screen, although it did not have as many graphic extras as the Blue Wahoo screen.

6. Stands/capacity- Over 5,000 fans showed up for the home game on campus last year and there were way more students at that game than I have seen at Blue Wahoo and it gave the game a more college game day feel to it that the downtown stadium that is more oriented to the alumni crowd. This Pen Air Field capacity was accomplished with only one large bleacher on the home side and fans bringing chairs to fill in the surrounding areas. With temporary large bleachers on the home, visiting and north end zone (until permanent stands are built) Pen Air Field can already exceed the 6,500 capacity at Blue Wahoo. Yes, the restrooms,concessions, concourse, stands and seats at Blue Wahoo are new, nice and modern, but they are designed around baseball sight lines and cannot be the future home of the Argos if they want to have tens of thousands of fans at games.

Comment

Lol
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

A few more reasons why this Argo fan is not stressing about playing at Pen Air Field instead of Blue Wahoo Stadium in 2022.

1. It was not that many years ago that UWF had no football team, much less a championship team, new locker rooms, new weight rooms and a new million dollar turf practice and home field. If we can survive no team for decades we can certainly survive not playing at Blue Wahoo for a few years.

2. There are many teams in D2 and FCS that have fancy stadiums and no titles. I'll take a championship contender with no fancy stadium over a fancy stadium and no titles every day of the week.

3. The Argo championship teams of 2017 and 2019 played 5 home games and 10 away games in each of those years, so the Argos have already proven that is not necessary to have a fancy home stadium in order to play for the national title.

4. The Argos are undefeated at Pen Air Field.

Comment

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X