Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larold View Post

Oh, If filling a schedule is the ultimate goal of "moving up" then congrats on the transition.
    What is UNA's combined conference(all conferences UNA Football has associated with since moving up) record?
    I think you're looking at this from a fan perspective. You're looking at it as wins and losses. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. That's your prerogative. However, I believe, on the administrative side, moving up makes sense. More money, more donations, larger footprint, more students, more scholarships, easier scheduling, etc.
    All of this depends on the school, of course.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

There is talk of a neutral site scheduling alliance with a conference outside of the region. If true it would create some interesting matchups.

Moving up and being successful can be good for the school as a whole but losing doesn’t generate more donations and enrollment.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I think you're looking at this from a fan perspective. You're looking at it as wins and losses. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. That's your prerogative. However, I believe, on the administrative side, moving up makes sense. More money, more donations, larger footprint, more students, more scholarships, easier scheduling, etc.
        All of this depends on the school, of course.
        Interesting.
        Seems to me when THE FAN PERSPECTIVE becomes a secondary component, it might lead to something not intended.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

They have more FCS wins than your teams does! Bless your heart dude. We’ve had this discussion already. You seem butthurt that others are moving on. I get it, the GSC is a sinking ship. What school is it you’re an alum or fan of, again? I forget.
          Great "no answer". The question was what is UNA's conference record since "moving up", against all affiliated opponents?
          As for more FCS wins than "my team"... I would sure hope they have "more wins in FCS" since they play a FSC schedule. If they win 2 FCS games they will have more than a D2 school
          that has few if any FCS opponents.
          I appreciate your concern over my "butt hurt".
          As for my school , right now I'm a GSC fan concerned about the absolute disaster the conference leaders have created.
          I saw my first UNA(Florence State) game(then part of the MidSouth Conference), probably before you were born. My concern isn't "school based" so much as it is a poorly run conference
          that is forcing members to make moves because their conference has poor leadership, and has for years. True leadership would have seen this coming.

Comment

Interesting.
            Seems to me when THE FAN PERSPECTIVE becomes a secondary component, it might lead to something not intended.
            That ship has sailed. Fans don’t matter anymore.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Great "no answer". The question was what is UNA's conference record since "moving up", against all affiliated opponents?
              As for more FCS wins than "my team"... I would sure hope they have "more wins in FCS" since they play a FSC schedule. If they win 2 FCS games they will have more than a D2 school
              that has few if any FCS opponents.
              I appreciate your concern over my "butt hurt".
              As for my school , right now I'm a GSC fan concerned about the absolute disaster the conference leaders have created.
              I saw my first UNA(Florence State) game(then part of the MidSouth Conference), probably before you were born. My concern isn't "school based" so much as it is a poorly run conference
              that is forcing members to make moves because their conference has poor leadership, and has for years. True leadership would have seen this coming.
              You’re always so vague about any schools you actually support. Why the secrecy?

I’ve stated this before when you consistently make negative comments about my alma mater. UNA has struggled in FCS which is why they finally fired the coach they stupidly handed the program over to when Wallace retired after the last national championship game appearance. Scheduling issues were a big part of UNA leaving the GSC and D2.

And yes, we all know you’re old but I’m no spring chicken. I’m 50 now and became a fan of UNA and the GSC in the early 80s. But, most of the members of that version of the GSC are now in FCS. Times change.

But I absolutely agree that the current GSC administration has a major problem on their hands that they have helped foster, IMO. I hope they can figure it out.

Otherwise, I love UNA being in the ASUN, a 14-member all-sports conference, and the UAC, a 10-member football association. Guaranteed full schedules.
              Last edited by UNALions; 01-06-2024, 11:02 AM.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
                There is talk of a neutral site scheduling alliance with a conference outside of the region. If true it would create some interesting matchups.

Moving up and being successful can be good for the school as a whole but losing doesn’t generate more donations and enrollment.

UNA’s football record hasn’t deterred donations or enrollment. Both are at record levels in Florence. The most surprising part is that game attendance (about 10K) is still good and ranking well in FCS. The school is also in the design phase of building a new on-campus stadium which will break ground next year.
                FLORENCE — The University of North Alabama experienced a record-breaking fundraising effort for the year, collecting more than $33 million for the fiscal year.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

That ship has sailed. Fans don’t matter anymore.
                  Sad, but true.

Comment

Sad to see so many open dates for such a great conference. The UWG move will pay off in the long run.

Comment

Looking more and more like GSC's Commissioner Matt Wilson should be meeting with Conference Carolinas Commissioner Chris Colvin to try and iron out a potential football scheduling deal ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                        Looking more and more like GSC's Commissioner Matt Wilson should be meeting with Conference Carolinas Commissioner Chris Colvin to try and iron out a potential football scheduling deal ASAP.
                        Why would they (CC) want to reduce their chances of making the playoffs by scheduling the toughest teams in the region?
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Why would they (CC) want to reduce their chances of making the playoffs by scheduling the toughest teams in the region?

I don't know that there are any other options in the region. The SAC, SIAC, and CIAA can schedule conference games to fill out their schedules. The MEC will have 10 schools (9 conference games) when the CC starts play, so they don't have a need from a scheduling standpoint. Beyond that, geography starts playing a big factor in scheduling and costs. All of this is why I don't understand CC's timing for sponsoring football unless they have some grand scheme to bring in new schools or have existing schools start football.

Comment

I can foresee 2 potential CC schools also starting football in the near future. I'm pretty sure some of the CC schools have no problem scheduling and playing GSC schools on a home away basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                              I can foresee 2 potential CC schools also starting football in the near future. I'm pretty sure some of the CC schools have no problem scheduling and playing GSC schools on a home away basis.
                              I can't image Shorter or Chowan would be jumping on board for it.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post

I don't know that there are any other options in the region. The SAC, SIAC, and CIAA can schedule conference games to fill out their schedules. The MEC will have 10 schools (9 conference games) when the CC starts play, so they don't have a need from a scheduling standpoint. Beyond that, geography starts playing a big factor in scheduling and costs. All of this is why I don't understand CC's timing for sponsoring football unless they have some grand scheme to bring in new schools or have existing schools start football.
                                This part. Why poach football schools from the dominant conference in the region only to turn around and have to form a scheduling alliance with them just to be able to fill the schedules? I'm perplexed by all of this. Maybe it was the plan all along and the GSC office isn't worried. But, UWG didn't seem to like where it was all headed and jumped ship.
                                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X