Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post

I completely agree with you. I think UWF will move up (I've been saying that on this board for a couple of years). 2024 will be season number 8 with football (if my math is correct since 2020 didn't count) and the Argos have done a lot in a short period of time. I think the next year or so, in how the GSC proposes moving forward, will help them make that decision. I think they're a pretty attractive program for potential conferences (#57 on the Nielsen rankings, Mobile-Pensacola-Fort Walton Beach) for an FCS program. I don't know the financial situation at VSU, but I completely agree with you. I also agree that there are situations where moving from D2 up to FCS is the most sensible option. With UWG gone and CC sponsoring football in 2025 I think it is the best move.

I think it will be easier for DSU (maybe MC and UWA) to find another conference than to rebuild the GSC with NAIA or D3 programs. I also want to say that as much as I like the idea of CC football, I would much prefer NGU to stay in the GSC for football.
    I’m hearing that UWF is making calls to UNA and other ASUN schools to ask a lot of questions about preparation for a potential move.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I'm a big fan of UWF's football program, but with an average home attendance of around 4,500, it's fairly low for typical FCS standards. Also, VSU's even lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
        I'm a big fan of UWF's football program, but with an average home attendance of around 4,500, it's fairly low for typical FCS standards. Also, VSU's even lower.
        Attendance doesn’t matter, it seems. Kennesaw State averaged 5,600 in 2022 and was invited to FBS. Also, UWF’s capacity is only about 5K. I hear they are about to upgrade the stadium and indoor arena.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Kennesaw State's Football stadium has a capacity of a little over 10,000. UWF and VSU should wait until they are fully ready to make the jump before even thinking about it. Right now, I believe they are far from it.

Comment

Kennesaw State's Football stadium has a capacity of a little over 10,000. UWF and VSU should wait until they are fully ready to make the jump before even thinking about it. Right now, I believe they are far from it.
            UWF would need a facilities upgrade before moving or at least be in the process of upgrading them. The ASUN (and ESPN) told UNA they'd have to upgrade the basketball arena to join and they did a $2M renovation. UWF could renegotiate the deal with Blue Wahoos Stadium for football for a few seasons and have the nicest small stadium in FCS.

Poor KSU still only averaged 7,800 this past year. That would have been next-to-last (Akron was last at 7,200) in FBS this past season with future CUSA conference-mate Sam Houston currently holding that spot at 8,300 for 2023.

Attendance isn't likely a factor in the reclassification discussion. Also, UWF is way more than football. They have been solid in most all sports for decades.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

You can count on VSU's attendance dropping even lower if UWF leaves. UNA, UWF, UWG were the only draws for descent attendance. Call me whatever you want but if UWF leaves, I'll probably drop my season tickets. I may attend a playoff game. I'm sure I'm not alone. As fans we no longer have any connection to any of the teams we play in football.

Comment

UWF athletic department just send out email to season ticket holders stating the Argos will have 6 home games this year and opening with McKendree on Thursday night (Sept. 5) at 6 p.m.. They list McKendree and 4 GSC home games without stating the 6th home game opponent. The only dates open for a 6th home game is the next week after McKendree and Oct. 26th.

Update: UWF just corrected prior email to state that Shorter comes to UWF on Oct. 26 as the 6th home game this year. That leaves a road game on 9-14 to be filled as the 11th game for this season. The spring football game is set for March 21 at 6 pm at Penn Air Field.
                Last edited by Argonut; 02-02-2024, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

You can count on VSU's attendance dropping even lower if UWF leaves. UNA, UWF, UWG were the only draws for descent attendance. Call me whatever you want but if UWF leaves, I'll probably drop my season tickets. I may attend a playoff game. I'm sure I'm not alone. As fans we no longer have any connection to any of the teams we play in football.
                  If UWF reclassifies, it might just force VSU to strongly consider following suit. The one major plus for VSU would be proximity to those ASUN schools in northeastern FL (Jacksonville, North Florida, and Stetson) in all sports. Of course, that doesn't really help for football much since only one of them plays football and it's in a non-scholarship FCS conference. The Hatters could still be a potential non-conference football opponent relatively nearby and then, of course, FAMU in Tallahassee is just an hour and a half away.

When you start playing those four in all sports along with former GSC opponents (UWG, UNA, UCA, and hopefully UWF), I think you'll see an uptick in interest from the VSU fanbase. Then, of course, are the money games with the GA/AL/FL FBS schools that would increase interest also.

As far as conference foe proximity, it makes more sense for VSU than it does UWF. Pensacola still isn't very close to any ASUN town but it isn't super close to many GSC towns either. It takes me 6 hours to get to Florence and 6 hours to Jacksonville. In the GSC, Livingston is 3.5 hours while MC and VSU are about 4 hours away.
                  Last edited by UNALions; 02-02-2024, 09:56 PM.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                    UWF athletic department just send out email to season ticket holders stating the Argos will have 6 home games this year and opening with McKendree on Thursday night (Sept. 5) at 6 p.m.. They list McKendree and 4 GSC home games without stating the 6th home game opponent. The only dates open for a 6th home game is the next week after McKendree and Oct. 26th.

Update: UWF just corrected prior email to state that Shorter comes to UWF on Oct. 26 as the 6th home game this year. That leaves a road game on 9-14 to be filled as the 11th game for this season. The spring football game is set for March 21 at 6 pm at Penn Air Field.
                    I want to make it to a game this season. I usually watch it on the local TV broadcast. Are you hearing anything about potential stadium or arena upgrades? The rumor on the UNA message board was that they are about to "renovate" the football and baseball stadiums. But, the last time I attended a volleyball game there a few years back, I felt the gym/arena needed some upgrades also.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I know when Conference Carolinas first announced they'd be starting football, the original plan was for Shorter to go independent in 2024 and to bring Erskine into the GSC to fill their place, but I believe that plan was drafted prior to UWG getting called up to FCS. Do you all suppose that they let Shorter stay for one extra season in the GSC to fill the scheduling holes that UWG left, or do you think it's set in stone that they're playing an independent schedule by now?

Comment

Originally posted by vsuman View Post

*sheds a tear in green and white*

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Bison
                          I'd love to see Delta, UWA, and Valdosta come back.. \

Come back? We didn't leave.

Comment

Delta State is hosting Fort Valley State on September 21. https://fvsusports.com/sports/football/schedule/2024

Comment

Delta State's schedule is out. Ten games, all against D2 opponents. https://gostatesmen.com/sports/football/schedule/2024

Comment

Valdosta State's schedule is out. Non-conference is Albany State, Newberry, and Shorter. https://vstateblazers.com/sports/football/schedule/2024

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X