Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I can't image Shorter or Chowan would be jumping on board for it.
    Pretty sure NGU, UNCP (with their new Coaching staff), and the upstart Barton team wouldn't have any problems adding some GSC schools to their upcoming schedules. They all know what type of predicament the GSC faces in the very near future.

Comment

We are moving up for the opportunity to elevate the University and to leave the dumpster fire that is the GSC. The UWG Alumni and students are excited. Wether that will result in butts in seats we will see. There are no expectations that we will win a bunch of football games for a couple of years. There will be massive roster turnover and alot of hard work ahead, but it was absolutely the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Pretty sure NGU, UNCP (with their new Coaching staff), and the upstart Barton team wouldn't have any problems adding some GSC schools to their upcoming schedules. They all know what type of predicament the GSC faces in the very near future.
        Those three do not make up the whole of the football playing members of the conference. As an NGU alum, I don't have a problem with NGU playing in, or against, the GSC. Erskine, Shorter, and Chowan may have very different opinions about playing against GSC teams. I think that NGU, Barton, and UNCP should seek out games against the GSC - they'll need the quality competition and the boost to their SOS.

You mentioned in an earlier post about two current CC schools potentially starting teams. Which schools?

If CC can get current members to start teams (or sponsor some NAIA or D3 schools to make the jump) then great, but that all takes time.

Comment

With several schools recently adding football programs in the region, there are growing rumors that others (some are very well financed) investigating their potential options. This includes schools within Conference Carolinas or schools in the Peach Belt Conference which could easily align their new football programs with CC.

Schools such as the University of Mt Olive in NC, King University in TN, Belmont Abbey in NC, Converse University in SC, USC - Aiken (their new AD was very instrumental as Barton's AD in starting Barton's Football Program) USC-Beaufort (in several years). I understand there's lots of positive chatter going on around the region and with the other CC schools in reference to Division 2 Football.

Comment

With several schools recently adding football programs in the region, there are growing rumors that others (some are very well financed) investigating their potential options. This includes schools within Conference Carolinas or schools in the Peach Belt Conference which could easily align their new football programs with CC.

Schools such as the University of Mt Olive in NC, King University in TN, Belmont Abbey in NC, Converse University in SC, USC - Aiken (their new AD was very instrumental as Barton's AD in starting Barton's Football Program) USC-Beaufort (in several years). I understand there's lots of positive chatter going on around the region and with the other CC schools in reference to Division 2 Football.
            Is Lander a possibility? They've been adding a lot of sports in recent years and now have every sport that I cover except football.

Comment

NGU is looking good on social media. Nice graphics and content.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Is Lander a possibility? They've been adding a lot of sports in recent years and now have every sport that I cover except football.
                My mistake for leaving Lander University off of the list as the Bearcats are already in pretty good shape for potentially adding football. Their Van Taylor Stadium could be easily converted to accommodate football along with additional seating. Enrollment over 4,000 with a large impressive 190 acre main campus.

Comment

It would be great if this were true but unfortunately it sounds a lot like conjecture and supposition. Show me some real evidence (i.e., feasibility studies, announcements from schools, etc.) rather than supposed "positive chatter" and I'll change my opinion.

Mount Olive, King, Belmont Abbey are the most likely candidates from CC to start football.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post

Mount Olive, King, Belmont Abbey are the most likely candidates from CC to start football.
                    I agree, and based on their new AD and his history, I would also include PBC's USC -Aiken.

I remember that Barton and others adding D2 football was started by positive chatter not all that long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
                      I'd rather be in North Alabama's and West Georgia's shoes right now, and moving forward. I'd rather not have to worry about scheduling, and playing NAIA or D3 schools. GSC games will soon be unrecognizable. I'm a big proponent of D2 schools moving up, and the GSC only proves my thoughts.

UWF and VSU should leave as soon as possible. It will benefit the university and athletics in the long term.
                      I think the ultimate end for DSU is to join GAC, because DSU can’t go D1.

Comment

I remember Savannah State University's jump to D1 for 9 ugly years, until they wised up and dropped back to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

I think the ultimate end for DSU is to join GAC, because DSU can’t go D1.
                          I think the ultimate end for UWA is either D2 Indy but idk the ramifications of being a D2 Indy. My bet would be to drop back down to NAIA. Our enrollment is slightly a hair better today then in 1971 when we won the NAIA natty.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
                            I'd rather be in North Alabama's and West Georgia's shoes right now, and moving forward. I'd rather not have to worry about scheduling, and playing NAIA or D3 schools. GSC games will soon be unrecognizable. I'm a big proponent of D2 schools moving up, and the GSC only proves my thoughts.

UWF and VSU should leave as soon as possible. It will benefit the university and athletics in the long term.
                            I completely agree with you. I think UWF will move up (I've been saying that on this board for a couple of years). 2024 will be season number 8 with football (if my math is correct since 2020 didn't count) and the Argos have done a lot in a short period of time. I think the next year or so, in how the GSC proposes moving forward, will help them make that decision. I think they're a pretty attractive program for potential conferences (#57 on the Nielsen rankings, Mobile-Pensacola-Fort Walton Beach) for an FCS program. I don't know the financial situation at VSU, but I completely agree with you. I also agree that there are situations where moving from D2 up to FCS is the most sensible option. With UWG gone and CC sponsoring football in 2025 I think it is the best move.

I think it will be easier for DSU (maybe MC and UWA) to find another conference than to rebuild the GSC with NAIA or D3 programs. I also want to say that as much as I like the idea of CC football, I would much prefer NGU to stay in the GSC for football.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                              This is reprint of the 2024 schedule from GSC website that drops Shorter and adds Erskine. Fill in as you find out more on your team's schedule. I like the Argos schedule so far with new addition of road game at Grand Valley on 9-28.

Chowan

9-7: open
                              9-14: open
                              9-21: open
                              9-28: MC
                              10-5: at DSU
                              10-12: open
                              10-19: UWF
                              10-26: at UWA
                              11-2: at VSU
                              11-9: Erskine
                              11-16: at NG
                              11-23: open

Erskine

9-21: VSU
                              9-28: DSU
                              10-5: at UWA
                              10-12: open
                              10-19: NG
                              10-26: at MC
                              11-2: UWF
                              11-9: at Chowan
                              11-16: open

MC

9-21: NG
                              9-28: at Chowan
                              10-5: at UWF
                              10-12: UWA
                              10-19: at VSU
                              10-26: Erskine
                              11-2: open
                              11-9: open
                              11-16: DSU

DSU

9-21: open
                              9-28: at Erskine
                              10-5: Chowan
                              10-12: at UWF
                              10-19: UWA
                              10-26: at NG
                              11-2: open
                              11-9: VSU
                              11-16: at MC

NG

9-21: at MC
                              9-28: open
                              10-5: open
                              10-12: VSU
                              10-19: at Erskine
                              10-26: DSU
                              11-2: at UWA
                              11-9: at UWF
                              11-16: Chowan

VSU

9-21: at Erskine
                              9-28: UWA
                              10-5: open
                              10-12: at NG
                              10-19: MC
                              10-26: open
                              11-2: Chowan
                              11-9: at DSU
                              11-16: UWF

UWA

9-21: at UWF
                              9-28: at VSU
                              10-5: Erskine
                              10-12: at MC
                              10-19: at DSU
                              10-26: Chowan
                              11-2: NG
                              11-9: open
                              11-16: open

UWF

9-21: UWA
                              9-28: at Grand Valley
                              10-5: MC
                              10-12: DSU
                              10-19: at Chowan
                              10-26: open
                              11-2: at Erskine
                              11-9: NG
                              11-16: at VSU

According to Newberry College’s 2024 schedule, VSU will open the season in Newberry 9/7/24 @ 7pm

Comment

Originally posted by NewBlazer2022 View Post

According to Newberry College’s 2024 schedule, VSU will open the season in Newberry 9/7/24 @ 7pm
                                Albany has Valdosta scheduled for 08/31…

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X