Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GAC Stadium Thread

Originally posted by hufootball View Post
    SAU has a small high school feel to it. Albeit, I have not been there since adding the video board. I like the newness of OKBU's stadium, and I flipped a coin on SAU and SNU. You could probably convince me that SAU should be higher than SNU. The more I think about SNU, I should probably put them last. They have nothing notable about the entire stadium.

So I'm making a change, even the ducktaped ECU stadium has more character than SNU. SNU is now last on my list. I will move SAU to 9.
    Yeah I think we can all agree ECU needs to bulldoze and start over. Reminds me of Benton High Schools old CW Lewis Stadium in Benton, AR

Comment

Everyone's biased, but the bowl at HSU is pretty awesome. Capacity-wise HSU officially has the most seating without grass anyway, but it's hard to top the atmosphere at a home BOTR when both sides of the hill start to fill up with people.

Tech and Harding are both nicer and newer venues, definitely near the top of the league. NWOSU is also a sneaky good home venue if you've never made that road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by hufootball View Post
        SAU has a small high school feel to it. Albeit, I have not been there since adding the video board. I like the newness of OKBU's stadium, and I flipped a coin on SAU and SNU. You could probably convince me that SAU should be higher than SNU. The more I think about SNU, I should probably put them last. They have nothing notable about the entire stadium.

So I'm making a change, even the ducktaped ECU stadium has more character than SNU. SNU is now last on my list. I will move SAU to 9.
        All of these stadiums have a small high school feel to them, but remember that here in north Texas, the stadiums are pretty impressive for our high schools. The high school games I am accustomed to attending usually have more than 10K fans at every game, with the playoffs going up from there.

I would agree with the top three (in whatever order you prefer), but I would definitely put SAU above SEOSU and OKBU. OKBU's stadium is definitely an afterthought and looks like it. I really did enjoy NWOSU (except for the stupid wasp infestation...). I am looking forward to visiting Henderson and SWOSU this year (not so much ECU and SNU...).

One other criteria that may need to be considered is home side vs visitor side. No one expects the visitor side to be as nice as the home side, but one would hope that SOME attention is paid to the visitor's side. OKBU has the worst visitor side of any of the stadiums I visited this year and the majority of it has to be used for home fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
          All of these stadiums have a small high school feel to them, but remember that here in north Texas, the stadiums are pretty impressive for our high schools. The high school games I am accustomed to attending usually have more than 10K fans at every game, with the playoffs going up from there.

I would agree with the top three (in whatever order you prefer), but I would definitely put SAU above SEOSU and OKBU. OKBU's stadium is definitely an afterthought and looks like it. I really did enjoy NWOSU (except for the stupid wasp infestation...). I am looking forward to visiting Henderson and SWOSU this year (not so much ECU and SNU...).

One other criteria that may need to be considered is home side vs visitor side. No one expects the visitor side to be as nice as the home side, but one would hope that SOME attention is paid to the visitor's side. OKBU has the worst visitor side of any of the stadiums I visited this year and the majority of it has to be used for home fans.
          OBU has one of the worst sections as well. SAU's is respectable. Henderson's is fine. ATU's is fine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post

I don't want to have to apologize for our (OKBU) stadium, but I will.

We reinstated football seven years ago. Two years after bringing back football, we moved from NAIA to D-II. It was like restarting football again. Football has been successful for us in every way except on the field. Student recruitment and retention is up, donations are up, and community involvement is up. We are starting to see some success on the field, as well, as we won five games this past season. It has been a tough road. A lot of work has gone into building a football program, both on and off the field.

When we brought back football, the decision was made to play on campus. For a temporary stadium, we added more bleachers, a press box, and some banners to our existing track facility. There are some hospitality tents and tailgate areas. The grass field is well-kept. There are no lights, which is a problem in September. We have what amounts to about a class 3A high school stadium, only there are no lights. Tickets on the home side are sold as reserved seating. Tickets on the visitors side are sold as general admission for a lower price. Students end up there, as well. This is how home fans end up on the visitors side.

Again, this is meant to be a temporary stadium. There are drawings and plans for a new stadium, pending donations. Our facility, more than anything, holds us back. We know it is a temporary stadium. We recruit players from large high schools in Texas with superior facilities. It is a huge adjustment for them. We know our facility is an obstacle.

I apologize for any bad experience you may have had with our facility.

Comment

Originally posted by johnintx View Post

We reinstated football seven years ago. Two years after bringing back football, we moved from NAIA to D-II. It was like restarting football again. Football has been successful for us in every way except on the field. Student recruitment and retention is up, donations are up, and community involvement is up. We are starting to see some success on the field, as well, as we won five games this past season. It has been a tough road. A lot of work has gone into building a football program, both on and off the field.

When we brought back football, the decision was made to play on campus. For a temporary stadium, we added more bleachers, a press box, and some banners to our existing track facility. There are some hospitality tents and tailgate areas. The grass field is well-kept. There are no lights, which is a problem in September. We have what amounts to about a class 3A high school stadium, only there are no lights. Tickets on the home side are sold as reserved seating. Tickets on the visitors side are sold as general admission for a lower price. Students end up there, as well. This is how home fans end up on the visitors side.

Again, this is meant to be a temporary stadium. There are drawings and plans for a new stadium, pending donations. Our facility, more than anything, holds us back. We know it is a temporary stadium. We recruit players from large high schools in Texas with superior facilities. It is a huge adjustment for them. We know our facility is an obstacle.

I will say I have seen the plans for the new OKBU stadium and it looks sweet. Heck may even be the best in the conference if it is all built to plan. We will have to wait and see. The problem is OKBU is getting out played by their in state rivals. It's going to be tough competing against SEOK which is also on the rise. All the Arkansas Schools are firing on all cylinders now. Something is going to have to give, and I just can't see right now OKBU being a powerhouse in football. They hold their own in all other sports.

Comment

I've posted the following link a few times, sorry for the repetition. These plans were released during the first year of the return of OKBU football; are these still valid? I really like the stadium in these renderings and believe it would be one of the best D2 stadiums.

http://www.gobisonfootball.com/index.php/menu-2/stadium

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
                  I will say I have seen the plans for the new OKBU stadium and it looks sweet. Heck may even be the best in the conference if it is all built to plan. We will have to wait and see. The problem is OKBU is getting out played by their in state rivals. It's going to be tough competing against SEOK which is also on the rise. All the Arkansas Schools are firing on all cylinders now. Something is going to have to give, and I just can't see right now OKBU being a powerhouse in football. They hold their own in all other sports.
                  Thanks! We were 5-0 against the Oklahoma schools this year. That was a big accomplishment for us. Southeastern did finish ahead of us in the standings. We were 0-6 against the Arkansas schools. Some of those games weren't even close. We have a long way to go. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                    I've posted the following link a few times, sorry for the repetition. These plans were released during the first year of the return of OKBU football; are these still valid? I really like the stadium in these renderings and believe it would be one of the best D2 stadiums.

http://www.gobisonfootball.com/index.php/menu-2/stadium
                    There is an updated stadium rendering, and if I can find it, I will link to it. It is not as nice as the original, as it does not call for a horseshoe seating arrangement around the field. It is still a nice stadium, and would be as nice as any in the league.

The athletic department surveyed season ticket holders and alumni and held focus groups a year or two ago regarding amenities and design. They will build what they can fundraise for.

Our president just retired after 10 successful years. We are now in a transition between presidents. The new president will make decisions and provide leadership on this project going forward.

Comment

There is an updated stadium rendering, and if I can find it, I will link to it. It is not as nice as the original, as it does not call for a horseshoe seating arrangement around the field. It is still a nice stadium, and would be as nice as any in the league.

The athletic department surveyed season ticket holders and alumni and held focus groups a year or two ago regarding amenities and design. They will build what they can fundraise for.

Our president just retired after 10 successful years. We are now in a transition between presidents. The new president will make decisions and provide leadership on this project going forward.
                      I hope they get rid of the track, that would be a hinder against the stadium. I also wonder, why not wait until you have the money saved up for a proper stadium? Especially if you could have one of the best D2 Stadiums.

Comment

I hope they get rid of the track, that would be a hinder against the stadium. I also wonder, why not wait until you have the money saved up for a proper stadium? Especially if you could have one of the best D2 Stadiums.
                        I think that's what's happening here. We're not going into more debt for a football stadium. We're not in financial trouble, but we're not going to overextend ourselves. Hobby Lobby has purchased the former St. Gregory's campus down the street, and we are leasing it from them for an undisclosed amount. They plan to use it for expanded science offerings and for the performing arts center, in the beginning. I don't think the Green family is in the business of building football stadiums, though. :-)

None of the stadium plans I have seen include a track. This is a good thing. Track deserves their own facility. A track is a hindrance for a football fan.

Comment

I think that's what's happening here. We're not going into more debt for a football stadium. We're not in financial trouble, but we're not going to overextend ourselves. Hobby Lobby has purchased the former St. Gregory's campus down the street, and we are leasing it from them for an undisclosed amount. They plan to use it for expanded science offerings and for the performing arts center, in the beginning. I don't think the Green family is in the business of building football stadiums, though. :-)

None of the stadium plans I have seen include a track. This is a good thing. Track deserves their own facility. A track is a hindrance for a football fan.
                          Well hopefully they add some stadium elements that are special to OKBU. I would hate if all they did was put two standard bleacher's on each size.

Comment

Well hopefully they add some stadium elements that are special to OKBU. I would hate if all they did was put two standard bleacher's on each size.
                            I agree. I think when it happens, they'll build something we can be proud of.

Comment

Bumping the thread, as OKBU will have lights ready for the home opener:

https://obubison.com/news/2019/7/8/f...me-opener.aspx

It'll still be hot for a 6 pm kickoff, but it's an improvement over daytime games in September.

Comment

Because construction costs go up all the time. You might never be able to fundraise to catch up to the cost of inflation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X