Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

So far, can't think of a better looking D for GV since the NC years.... maybe 2009? They seem strong through 2 1/2 quarters, but haven't faced anything like Ferris's offense. The offense has come along now that Paritee is a consistent deep threat and Dodson at full strength. Provenchar brings that smolen/brezik kind of threat - not quite the speed but more physical. Moss and Oline will need solid showing. Ferris always seems to have the edge in coaching, but maybe Mitchell is finally getting 'edgy' enough to change that perception, we shall see. Funny thing is neither Ferris O or GV D have had to play more than 1 complete game. Another 28-24 type score, winner determined by a big play on special teams or a turnover (like most other years, lol)

Comment

Couple Observations:
      1. Can we please stop referring to Provenchar as "Blake Smolen" - I mean we are talking one of the all time great Lakers, a dude who was a legit 4.4 and a dude who played everywhere but OL and QB on offense. Jack is a great player and I hope he has a great career, but let's hold off on comparing him to one of the GOATs of Laker football.
      2. TA has never had the Laker Offense because TA doesn't have a single thing to do with Ferris's Defensive Game Plan.
      3. This is the fastest Defense that Ferris has ever had, not the best, but the fastest. However they are a little worse against the run than they typically have been, which has almost been the best in the league that last 6 seasons. They are athletic at DB but a lot of guys playing in their first meaningful Anchor Bone game so it could be interesting.
      4. Lets be real, as fun as this game is going to be, and as fun as it is hyping this up, this is the conference championship game and that is it (Easy Davenport, y'all are good but you haven't played ANYBODY | Michigan Tech is the best D2 team you played). Neither of these teams have trouble beating the other on the road, home/away just isn't something that matters in this game. This is the first of two times these teams will play and if it goes anything like the 2015/2016 years then I am willing to bet both teams would rather lose the first game of this 2 game series this season.

This is going to be a great game, it is great for the schools, it is great for the league, and it is great for D2 and I wish College Gameday would actually show up.

Comment

A bit early on the west coast, but I may just get up to check this out.

Sincerely,
        Ferris Sucks

https://www.mlive.com/lakers/index.s...g_to_lubb.html

Comment

Round 1 of a 2 round fight this year. Winner wins GLIAC and gets higher playoff seed in region. I truly believe these teams will meet again in 6-7weeks. Winner of this game gets to host round 2.

Comment

Originally posted by GLIACWatcher View Post
            Couple Observations:
            1. Can we please stop referring to Provenchar as "Blake Smolen" - I mean we are talking one of the all time great Lakers, a dude who was a legit 4.4 and a dude who played everywhere but OL and QB on offense. Jack is a great player and I hope he has a great career, but let's hold off on comparing him to one of the GOATs of Laker football.
            2. TA has never had the Laker Offense because TA doesn't have a single thing to do with Ferris's Defensive Game Plan.
            3. This is the fastest Defense that Ferris has ever had, not the best, but the fastest. However they are a little worse against the run than they typically have been, which has almost been the best in the league that last 6 seasons. They are athletic at DB but a lot of guys playing in their first meaningful Anchor Bone game so it could be interesting.
            4. Lets be real, as fun as this game is going to be, and as fun as it is hyping this up, this is the conference championship game and that is it (Easy Davenport, y'all are good but you haven't played ANYBODY | Michigan Tech is the best D2 team you played). Neither of these teams have trouble beating the other on the road, home/away just isn't something that matters in this game. This is the first of two times these teams will play and if it goes anything like the 2015/2016 years then I am willing to bet both teams would rather lose the first game of this 2 game series this season.

This is going to be a great game, it is great for the schools, it is great for the league, and it is great for D2 and I wish College Gameday would actually show up.
            I love it! 2 of the best teams in the nation playing each other, and DU just happens to get put in the post.... I read the blogs, and forums -- I don't think anyone from DU or any other team's fans have said DU can compete against the big 3, but the fact that people are talking about them in their 2nd year -- then they must be doing something right......

Comment

Originally posted by DUpanthers View Post
              I love it! 2 of the best teams in the nation playing each other, and DU just happens to get put in the post.... I read the blogs, and forums -- I don't think anyone from DU or any other team's fans have said DU can compete against the big 3, but the fact that people are talking about them in their 2nd year -- then they must be doing something right......
              DU, I know you're new to the GLIAC so we'll give you a pass on this one :smile-big: Save the DU love for another thread. This is strictly Ferris / GV. No other team matters, no other game matters in all of D2 this week. As much as I can't stand GV, don't want another team dipping their chip in this salsa.

I agree with Looter, winner gets home field in playoffs and they probably meet again in the 2nd round. If Ferris loses their seeding would probably be affected more due to their SOS being so crappy (East Stroudsburg 1-5, Findlay 3-3, William Jewel 1-4).

Agree Ferris's D isn't as strong this year, but they lost 3 studs to NFL rosters so can't really fault them for that. Will be interested to see on offense how much pwr read TA runs with Jayru. Seems to like the quarterback draw a little more but I'm assuming GV will have an athletic guy spying. Maybe the middle will be opened a little more for passing.

Either way, whoever handles adversity the best will probably win this one.

Comment

Fox News reported today that if MM fails to beat Ferris again and advance significantly in the playoffs he is out as GV HC and Becker will do whatever it takes to get TA to GV. All evidence HAS been corroborated and it has been confirmed that there was not any ice thrown.

Comment

I think in regard to the Laker d, the biggest difference between this year and the past few years is their discipline. Over the last few years you could count on the defense over pursuing and opening up gaps. This is the real reason I think the Lakers have a solid chance against Ferris this year. Running quarterbacks have a hard time running when all the gaps are covered. So, if Grand Valley continues playing the disciplined defense they have been, and force Ferris to put it in the air, then I think Grand Valley could win this one by 10 to 13 points.

On a different note, one of the last posters mentioned that the teams tend to do the same thing over and over, which has been true, but I think you will see some differences this year from GV. When they incoporated that shovel pass a couple of weeks ago and even had Bart do a sneak and bootleg, I think they were working on some things to add some wrinkles to their playbook. Both moss and provencher can catch out of the backfield better than the running backs over the last few years. That adds a lot of versatility to an offense!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Laker View Post
                    I think in regard to the Laker d, the biggest difference between this year and the past few years is their discipline. Over the last few years you could count on the defense over pursuing and opening up gaps. This is the real reason I think the Lakers have a solid chance against Ferris this year. Running quarterbacks have a hard time running when all the gaps are covered. So, if Grand Valley continues playing the disciplined defense they have been, and force Ferris to put it in the air, then I think Grand Valley could win this one by 10 to 13 points.

On a different note, one of the last posters mentioned that the teams tend to do the same thing over and over, which has been true, but I think you will see some differences this year from GV. When they incoporated that shovel pass a couple of weeks ago and even had Bart do a sneak and bootleg, I think they were working on some things to add some wrinkles to their playbook. Both moss and provencher can catch out of the backfield better than the running backs over the last few years. That adds a lot of versatility to an offense!
                    Uh, and no one has yet mentioned a new OC/playcaller.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                      DU, I know you're new to the GLIAC so we'll give you a pass on this one :smile-big: Save the DU love for another thread. This is strictly Ferris / GV. No other team matters, no other game matters in all of D2 this week. As much as I can't stand GV, don't want another team dipping their chip in this salsa.

I agree with Looter, winner gets home field in playoffs and they probably meet again in the 2nd round. If Ferris loses their seeding would probably be affected more due to their SOS being so crappy (East Stroudsburg 1-5, Findlay 3-3, William Jewel 1-4).

Agree Ferris's D isn't as strong this year, but they lost 3 studs to NFL rosters so can't really fault them for that. Will be interested to see on offense how much pwr read TA runs with Jayru. Seems to like the quarterback draw a little more but I'm assuming GV will have an athletic guy spying. Maybe the middle will be opened a little more for passing.

Either way, whoever handles adversity the best will probably win this one.

Comment

Ferris by 14.

Comment

Originally posted by DUpanthers View Post
                          After this week, you may wish you had Sparky back!
                          Sure....now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                            Uh, and no one has yet mentioned a new OC/playcaller.
                            please read all posts before commenting, it avoids embarrassment.

Previously posted:

I agree the Laker D has to contain their QB, I believe that is a major key to success. However I disagree about the Laker offensive being had by TA. Maybe previous years, but I have much more faith in Ginn and his game plan. Morrison was a very predictable OC and not very good. Now that he's been replaced and they are playing at Lubbers might be the advantage Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by oddzon View Post
                              please read all posts before commenting, it avoids embarrassment.

Previously posted:

I agree the Laker D has to contain their QB, I believe that is a major key to success. However I disagree about the Laker offensive being had by TA. Maybe previous years, but I have much more faith in Ginn and his game plan. Morrison was a very predictable OC and not very good. Now that he's been replaced and they are playing at Lubbers might be the advantage Saturday.
                              I missed it.. I'm getting sloppy in my "old" age. Guess I deserved that.:doh: Thanks for pointing out my mistake... won't be my last though. :foot-in-mouth: Alternately, maybe I just (didn't) consider the source?????:victory:
                              Last edited by Redwing; 10-10-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X