X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris May Have to Forfeit Four

Uh oh. https://www.woodtv.com/sports/ncaa/n...mes/1532074290

Re: Ferris May Have to Forfeit Four

I will believe it when I see it. Like Kle says in the other thread, it'll be a big surprise if this actually turns into some sort of legit penalty or sanction.

That said, I have stated on these boards since he was hired that at some point Ferris would have to pay a "TA Tax". If you think this is isolated or it's the only/last time something like this will come up, you're kidding yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
      I will believe it when I see it. Like Kle says in the other thread, it'll be a big surprise if this actually turns into some sort of legit penalty or sanction.

That said, I have stated on these boards since he was hired that at some point Ferris would have to pay a "TA Tax". If you think this is isolated or it's the only/last time something like this will come up, you're kidding yourself.
      Based on a random perusing of their roster, this isn't the only kid that has transferred between three four year institutions. As long as I have followed TA, he has proven himself unable to develop his own talent - even in high school. He has always heavily utilized transfers.

Comment

This doesn't look like some accident that slipped past. It looks like they willfully and openly broke the rules here.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          This doesn't look like some accident that slipped past. It looks like they willfully and openly broke the rules here.
          If it's true that other schools told him he would have to sit for 2018 and it took them calling out Ferris when they noticed him playing the first four weeks for them, they absolutely did.

Comment

There just seems to be so much more transferring of student/athletes now-days that a more stringent review process should be in place. I don't have statistics, but it seemed back in the 70's you had a few D1 kids transfer to D2 schools; now it seems like there are so many transfers at every level and in every sport.

Comment

Originally posted by MDRussell View Post
              There just seems to be so much more transferring of student/athletes now-days that a more stringent review process should be in place. I don't have statistics, but it seemed back in the 70's you had a few D1 kids transfer to D2 schools; now it seems like there are so many transfers at every level and in every sport.
              This is NOT rocket science...your school needs to have a compliance officer that can read the rules and then have a staff that will enforce them. The 4 4 4 rule is about as clear as it can be...if you want to take a chance on not getting caught thats up to the school and the player..The rules are not that hard..

Comment

Originally posted by MDRussell View Post
                its easier to leave than it is to buckle down and work harder in order to see the field

Comment

Not surprised. I'm sure the NCAA, just like GLIAC game officials, will get this right.

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
                    Not surprised. I'm sure the NCAA, just like GLIAC game officials, will get this right.
                    If that's the case, playoffs here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                      This is NOT rocket science...your school needs to have a compliance officer that can read the rules and then have a staff that will enforce them. The 4 4 4 rule is about as clear as it can be...if you want to take a chance on not getting caught thats up to the school and the player..The rules are not that hard..
                      You would think with all the athletes they pull from jail they would have a better compliance team! (Joking....kinda)

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                        Based on a random perusing of their roster, this isn't the only kid that has transferred between three four year institutions. As long as I have followed TA, he has proven himself unable to develop his own talent - even in high school. He has always heavily utilized transfers.
                        Come on man. Look I lost to him too when I was playing and coaching, but that just isn't true. I get it that Zimmer, Lampman, Sheldon, VanderLaan where all there when he got there, but they were all young and if coming out of high school they were anything like they were at the end of their Ferris careers then they would have had GV offers, but fine, don't give him credit for them. Just hitting on his Ferris State players that have turned out to be pretty good:

Tavierre Thomas
                        Zach Sieler
                        Anthony Darkangelo
                        Jevonte Alexander
                        Jahaan Brown
                        Malik Taylor
                        Devon Johnson
                        Chris Okoye
                        Jake Daugherty
                        Marquis Dawsey
                        Wyatt Ford
                        Nick Huckabay
                        KC Zenner
                        The following played well this past Saturday:
                        Jevon Shaw (The one who threw the trick play pass)
                        John Higgins (Picked off the first Pass)
                        Austin Edwards
                        Sam Heyboer
                        Austin Simpson
                        Trevor Tank
                        Adrian Green
                        Avonte Bell
                        Cyntell Williams
                        Jovan Bayless
                        Any kid that has ever played slot at Ferris, undersized yes, good, also yes.
                        Sy Barnett isn't a transfer and he just did pretty well as a RS Frosh against the mighty Lakers.

I could keep going, and yes, he does take transfers, name a D2 in the top 25 who doesn't, but also name a national championship that GVSU won without more than a handful of transfers. You can rip on the dude however you want, and feel however you want, but every D2 coach is trying to snag these type dudes and that is fact.

Comment

Originally posted by GLIACWatcher View Post
                          Come on man. Look I lost to him too when I was playing and coaching, but that just isn't true. I get it that Zimmer, Lampman, Sheldon, VanderLaan where all there when he got there, but they were all young and if coming out of high school they were anything like they were at the end of their Ferris careers then they would have had GV offers, but fine, don't give him credit for them. Just hitting on his Ferris State players that have turned out to be pretty good:

Tavierre Thomas
                          Zach Sieler
                          Anthony Darkangelo
                          Jevonte Alexander
                          Jahaan Brown
                          Malik Taylor
                          Devon Johnson
                          Chris Okoye
                          Jake Daugherty
                          Marquis Dawsey
                          Wyatt Ford
                          Nick Huckabay
                          KC Zenner
                          Austin Edwards
                          Sam Heyboer
                          Austin Simpson
                          Trevor Tank
                          Adrian Green
                          Avonte Bell
                          Cyntell Williams
                          Jovan Bayless
                          Sy Barnett isn't a transfer and he just did pretty well as a RS Frosh against the mighty Lakers.

I could keep going, and yes, he does take transfers, name a D2 in the top 25 who doesn't, but also name a national championship that GVSU won without more than a handful of transfers. You can rip on the dude however you want, and feel however you want, but every D2 coach is trying to snag these type dudes and that is fact.
                          GV only very recently has begun using transfers more liberally. In 2001-2007ish, when GV was winning titles, transfers were pretty rare. Maybe one or two seeing any significant playing time. I mean I guess you can count Cullen Finnerty as a transfer technically, since he came from Toledo, but he never played there. Anyway, just responding to your asking about GV's team make-up during national championships. I'm not as familiar with the 2002 and 2003 teams since I wasn't there, but at least in 2005 and 2006, you had Cullen (technically), and then I guess Derrick Jones was a JuCo transfer, and Aston Martin. So I mean there were 1 or 2, but I don't think there was ever a "handful" of transfers being utilized by GV. This year's team may be the most transfer-heavy team GV has ever used.
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by GLIACWatcher View Post

Tavierre Thomas
                            Zach Sieler
                            Anthony Darkangelo
                            Jevonte Alexander
                            Jahaan Brown
                            Malik Taylor
                            Devon Johnson
                            Chris Okoye
                            Jake Daugherty
                            Marquis Dawsey
                            Wyatt Ford
                            Nick Huckabay
                            KC Zenner
                            Austin Edwards
                            Sam Heyboer
                            Austin Simpson
                            Trevor Tank
                            Adrian Green
                            Avonte Bell
                            Cyntell Williams
                            Jovan Bayless

TA took advantage of athletically gifted school of choice kids throughout his high school coaching career. Kids that would go to a perfectly fine high school academically that happened to have a lesser football program and then they would randomly show up at Jenison or Muskegon. He went to GRCC and took a transfer at QB that happened to be convicted of aiding in the killing of a man. He went to Ferris and inherited VanderLaan. After VanderLaan, he accepted the transfer of Reggie Bell from EMU and started him. After Bell, he accepted the transfer of another formerly jailed QB from a community college and started him. All of his QBs account for the vast majority of the rushing yards and obviously all of the passing yards. I don't know why any high school QB would choose to play for TA when his track record indicates he is very likely to keep them on the bench in favor of a transfer that shows up in the offseason after the last QB has graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                              TA took advantage of athletically gifted school of choice kids throughout his high school coaching career. Kids that would go to a perfectly fine high school academically that happened to have a lesser football program and then they would randomly show up at Jenison or Muskegon. He went to GRCC and took a transfer at QB that happened to be convicted of aiding in the killing of a man. He went to Ferris and inherited VanderLaan. After VanderLaan, he accepted the transfer of Reggie Bell from EMU and started him. After Bell, he accepted the transfer of another formerly jailed QB from a community college and started him. All of his QBs account for the vast majority of the rushing yards and obviously all of the passing yards. I don't know why any high school QB would choose to play for TA when his track record indicates he is very likely to keep them on the bench in favor of a transfer that shows up in the offseason after the last QB has graduated.
                              As much as I don't like T.A. for many different reasons (I did my student teaching under him), I don't think it's fair to say he can't develop talent. Does he use talent that started out elsewhere? Absolutely, however to think this is the only place that is happening is ridiculous. Even GVSU did have plenty of guys who started elsewhere and transferred to GVSU. Among the ones I recall were Finnerty, Curt Anes' bother who was a full back at Michigan who later left school and finally joined his brother at GVSU. Prior to the national title years we had a QB from EMU who went on to play in the CFL if I recall.

D2 is where the guys who are getting PT at D1 schools often drop to get PT. I find no fault in any coach at the FCS or DII level who uses transfers in his starting lineup. Your job as coach is to get the best available talent on the field.

No if we want to talk about T.A.'s liberal use of the transfer rules at the H.S. level. We may have a different discussion, but that's for another time and place.

Also, in my opinion, T.A. was the reason Ferris won that game, not the players on the field. T.A. flat out outcoached Mitchell in that game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X